Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Squealing brakes from sitting in garage (Read 728 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Squealing brakes from sitting in garage
03/25/16 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
My mountain bike has barely been ridden in the last year. The last two rides I went on I had to sand the pads and clean the rotors to re-bed the pads before I could ride because they were howling like mad.  I did the same thing this past weekend before riding Tuesday and they were find on Tuesday's ride, but last night when moving the bike the pads howled in the garage just feathering them while rolling across the floor.

The bike spends all its time in the garage hung on the wall.  XT M785 brakes with Shimano pads and Avid rotors.  Up until May 2015 I was riding it once every 2-4 weeks with no issues, but I've only been on three rides since then with each being months apart.

Any ideas what causes them to apparently glaze over or cause squealing?  The pads don't look particularly off-color when I sand them.   

Am I better off replacing pads and/or rotors?  With the sanding and cleaning with alcohol I feel like it should be problem solved, but it's obviously not the case.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Re: Squealing brakes from sitting in garage
Reply #1 - 03/25/16 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
I'd resand them and ride more... Just me. I know I don't have an extra $150.00 just laying around for new rotors and pads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 03/25/16 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I would sand the rotors too. THey prolly got something on them while haging in the garage.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 03/25/16 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
I'll take the rotors off the hubs and sand them more thoroughly, then.  Maybe take a flame to the pads as well.

I originally thought they got something on them that caused the squeal the first time, but it's been barely three days since my last ride and they're already squealing again.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #4 - 03/25/16 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I just spin mine while pinching them with sandpaper. Watch out for the spokes.

They are like magnents for any kind of airesol sprayed in the garage

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 03/26/16 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 03/25/16 at 6:00pm:
I just spin mine while pinching them with sandpaper. Watch out for the spokes.

They are like magnents for any kind of airesol sprayed in the garage

I did that last time with the sandpaper, but maybe it wasn't enough.

And I don't spray anything in the garage, but there's likely lots of cat litter dust.  That could be a culprit now that I think of it.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #6 - 03/27/16 at 2:21am
Print Post  
I like a good clean scotchbrite pad on the rotors. You can also use isopropyl alcohol and bake the pads to clean them.
« Last Edit: 03/27/16 at 2:22am by MTBman1127 »  

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 03/28/16 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
You can take them off; hit them with alcohol and take a flame to them (I find this works best vs sanding)... just make sure you hit them with a flame until you see smoke from the stuff burning off (I use a lighter and it works fine)... I have heard stories of this process causing them to fail, but I myself did this a few weeks ago and they have been fine (on the back)...

Or if you're concerned about the cost you can get brake pads for $5.99 online or off brands for $3-4.  There are a couple of LBS that you can get them for $11-13 as well.  IMO $10-$20 to increase safety; no brainer. 

The rotors are more than likely fine (in my experience its been the pads) but I would wipe them down with alcohol as well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print