Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pisgah 55.5k (Read 3951 times)
pearl
Little Ring

Pisgah 55.5k
05/10/16 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Anyone doing this? Looks like a good day out, weather looks crappy at the moment. I'll be driving back from NJ Saturday morning with my fingers crossed for dry weather!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Pisgah 55.5k
Reply #1 - 05/10/16 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Im doing it...

Its a great race and a great price too... $40 for a fully supported race in one of the best riding locations in the country. Plus its arguably one of the hardest 35 miles +/- you can do in The Pisgah. All the classics... Turkey Pen, Laurel-Pilot, Black Mtn...

I recommend this to anyone looking to get into Pisgah racing. 

Bring your hiking shoes  Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 05/11/16 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Sweet! Looking forward to it, as long as rain isn't falling from the heavens I plan to be in attendance!

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #3 - 05/11/16 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 05/11/16 at 2:21pm:
Sweet! Looking forward to it, as long as rain isn't falling from the heavens I plan to be in attendance!

It's an incredible experience, especially for the price, but...

you keep mentioning weather.  You do realize it's not until May 22nd and not this weekend, right?

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 05/11/16 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
whoa the infamous teamdicky! blog is awesome.

yah, i know its a couple of weeks out but looking forward to it. i work from home all day and have too much time on my hands, so i end up stalking the long term weather forecast and get sketched out.

IP Logged

teamdicky
Big Ring

Which way is out?

Reply #5 - 05/11/16 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 05/11/16 at 6:03pm:
whoa the infamous teamdicky! blog is awesome.

yah, i know its a couple of weeks out but looking forward to it. i work from home all day and have too much time on my hands, so i end up stalking the long term weather forecast and get sketched out.

In my own experience, it's just not worth looking that far out.  A week, maybe... but even then?  Not really.

Three days out max is where I start bugging out, especially for Pisgah.  It wasn't supposed to rain this past Saturday AT ALL right up until the last time I checked before the event started.  Still saw some concerning drizzle that ended up being nothing at all about 3.something hours into the day.  It is still a rain forest.

Anyways, if rain is what makes your decision, start considering things next Friday.  I've done the 111k in some of the worst conditions, and it certainly made some lasting memories.

« Last Edit: 05/11/16 at 11:25pm by teamdicky »  

IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 05/12/16 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
ah that pic brings back some fond 111k memories. Was the day I learned Renegade 2.0 tires and 140 rotors were not really that good in pisgah

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 05/12/16 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
oh man, that looks like an epic day. im sure it sucked the big one the whole time. but cool to look back at.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 05/19/16 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
looks like the moisture will be in the ground instead of falling from the skies, that sounds way better!

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #9 - 05/20/16 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Did this last year. It was easily the worst time I have ever spent on a bike my entire life. If I wasn't rehabbing a couple of nagging injuries I would have gone back this year.

It's an amazing, albeit miserable, experience. Every one there is great. Rest stops are fully stocked with just about anything you could want.  Wink

He wasn't kidding about the hiking shoes. You will spend (regardless of your ability level) a good bit of time on foot. Especially the initial climb up black.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 05/20/16 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
ha, was this miserable because of the rain or that just added to it being miserable?

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #11 - 05/20/16 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
There was a little rain the night before, but not during the race. 

It was my first trip to Pisgah. So I really didn't understand what I was in for. I typically do laps at Rocky Knob so I am familiar with elevation and technical climbs that stretch out for a ways. Pisgah is another animal all together.

I went there thinking that it would all be ridable and the hike-a-bike people were talking about was just fitness related. You know, maybe a 7 mile climb you just might need a break and you could walk some. While laurel mountain climb was like that, 100% ridable but tortuously long, other parts are like you are attempting to ride up steps. Steps that are 2-3 feet high.

My favorite part of the ride was Laurel mountain -> Pilot rock. (Between check point 2-3). All I remember is switchback after switchback going up Laurel thinking to my self holy **** is this ever going to end. Then the sheer bliss of ripping down Pilot Rock hoping it would never end.
« Last Edit: 05/20/16 at 2:20pm by nicedart »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #12 - 05/20/16 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
nicedart wrote on 05/20/16 at 2:19pm:
There was a little rain the night before, but not during the race. 

It was my first trip to Pisgah. So I really didn't understand what I was in for. I typically do laps at Rocky Knob so I am familiar with elevation and technical climbs that stretch out for a ways. Pisgah is another animal all together.

I went there thinking that it would all be ridable and the hike-a-bike people were talking about was just fitness related. You know, maybe a 7 mile climb you just might need a break and you could walk some. While laurel mountain climb was like that, 100% ridable but tortuously long, other parts are like you are attempting to ride up steps. Steps that are 2-3 feet high.

My favorite part of the ride was Laurel mountain -> Pilot rock. (Between check point 2-3). All I remember is switchback after switchback going up Laurel thinking to my self holy **** is this ever going to end. Then the sheer bliss of ripping down Pilot Rock hoping it would never end.

Sounds about right haha.

Pisgah is for real. The climbs are long and require hiking... actual hiking where you are lifting your bike up and maybe even having to grab onto trees to pull yourself up. Its real adventure riding.

...but its so awesome!

Its not all misery though. Many of the climbs are fun in a challenging way and the descents are just great. But if you want to be fast in the mountains you need to be a strong hiker too. And have a positive attitude. That can help more than any amount of fitness and bike handling.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 05/20/16 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
well i have a problem, i cant find a shimano XT 11 speed RD and I need one as I trashed mine this week riding... 

i think i just made a donation unless someone going to this race has a spare the can loan me... this sucks!

or ill have to singlespeed it, 32x20 will work? Sad

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #14 - 05/21/16 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Call the Hub or sycamore Cycles.  Both shops are 1 mile from the start line

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

madss
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 05/21/16 at 10:56am
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 05/20/16 at 10:25pm:
well i have a problem, i cant find a shimano XT 11 speed RD and I need one as I trashed mine this week riding... 

i think i just made a donation unless someone going to this race has a spare the can loan me... this sucks!

or ill have to singlespeed it, 32x20 will work? Sad

Do it SS, 32x20-23 would all be exceptable gears, if you like the stand a lot 20, sit and spin 23.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 05/22/16 at 1:10am
Print Post  
i was able to score a RD on my way back from NJ and Spirited got me all situated, now i just need to wake up and drive to the start without having any issues Smiley

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #17 - 05/23/16 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 05/22/16 at 1:10am:
i was able to score a RD on my way back from NJ and Spirited got me all situated, now i just need to wake up and drive to the start without having any issues Smiley

How'd your race go?

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #18 - 05/23/16 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Well, it was going "okay" until someone decided to sabotage the course and have us go down Sassafras Gap (some illegal trail) instead of up the Laurel Hike a Bike and down Pilot.... Which sucks.

If you want more deets: 

I need a redo! I should have stayed local and race the Catawba Whitewater event Sad

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #19 - 05/23/16 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Nice write up , welcome to North Carolina kinda race

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print