Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Helmets?? (Read 653 times)
aasnowrider
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Helmets??
06/02/16 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I was wondering about the topic of Mountain bike specific full face helmet versus Motocross helmets?  I didn't really notice a huge difference in weight just more padding so less ventilation.  Other than that do they have the same effectiveness for protection?  Also, my top speeds are only around 30 mph and not consistent.  Really just came across a good deal and like the idea of protecting my face/teeth.  Thanks for any ideas!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Skaufma0
Coaster Bike

Re: Helmets??
Reply #1 - 06/03/16 at 8:15am
Print Post  
For me it was more about the type of riding and being comfortable then weight or anything else. If you ride downhill gravity type of stuff then a full face may be a good idea. If you ride all-mountain or XC then it's really not necessary and would be probably really hot and annoying. But it really just boils down to personal preference.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3
2000 Gary Fisher Mamba

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 06/03/16 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I imagine that extra padding in a motocross (off-road motorcycle) helmet is there more to provide additional deceleration distance in the event of an impact. The assumption being that motorcycles have the potential to reach much higher speeds than anything powered by a human, and would therefore experience a greater impact force in the event of a crash. The more distance available for deceleration, the lower the G-force experienced by your brain during impact, the lower the chance for traumatic brain injury.

In short, a full face mountain bike helmet and an off-road motorcycle helmet do NOT offer the same level of protection. Motorcycle helmets have to meet an entirely different set of standards than mountain bike helmets. MX helmets are bulkier than MTB helmets because they are designed to provide more protection.

You didn't really say which way you are trying to go with it... A MX helmet would provide more than enough protection while riding your mountain bike, but may be a little bit overkill. If you were going to the downhill park, and all you had was your motocross helmet and your open face MTB trail helmet... probably best to err on the side of caution and go with the MX helmet.

I would NOT recommend wearing a full face MTB helmet at your next motocross race.

« Last Edit: 06/03/16 at 12:52pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #3 - 06/03/16 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
BudLeach wrote on 06/03/16 at 12:50pm:

I would NOT recommend wearing a full face MTB helmet at your next motocross race.

Or on your next outing to Sherman  Cool

Downhill riding wearing a full face is definitely more confidence inspiring but lugging one around on non-lift assist rides would be pretty cumbersome.
« Last Edit: 06/03/16 at 2:39pm by OoHoO »  

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #4 - 06/24/16 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
here ya go: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'm a believer in wearing a normal "enduro" style open face helmet 99% of the time since they have a little more protection. A full face would be way overkill unless your seriously screaming down the hill and I can't think of one trail in town that would be necessary. Pisgah maybe but that's about it.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print