Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) GPS watches (Read 1333 times)
nativewarrior
Ex Member

GPS watches
06/09/16 at 12:10am
Print Post  
So I keep track of rides/mileage with my Iphone and strava. I know that the Garmin 500/520 are what a lot of riders have installed on their rides and they seem to work well. I'm more interested in a wrist watch GPS unit that will do the same. 

I ride mostly local trail and a little road on the MTB. Wondering what has worked for you guys or should I just pop for the garmin. I've come close to braking the smart phone several times so just looking for alternatives. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

azcanc
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: GPS watches
Reply #1 - 06/09/16 at 12:49am
Print Post  
SUUNTO ambit 3 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

BOOM, DONE!

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #2 - 06/09/16 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I'm a firm believer that gps isn't enough.  You need a wheel sensor to get accurate distance.  You lose about 10% of your distance in the woods because of frequency of turns and steep elevation changes.  I believe there are ways to pair a smartphone with sensors, but I'm not familiar with it.  I doubt smartwatches will pair with these since these are geared towards runners.  I find my garmin 520 to be a great buy and good value.

IP Logged

asuprice
Small Cog

Go Mountaineers!!

Reply #3 - 06/09/16 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Garmin Forerunner 230 and Forerunner 235 both pair with Garmin sensors.  I find my 235 to be just as accurate as my 520 with the wheel sensor.
« Last Edit: 06/09/16 at 12:34pm by asuprice »  
IP Logged

kz

Reply #4 - 06/09/16 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
   I have a TomTom Multi sport watch. It's compatible with wheel, cadence and heart rate sensors. Comes with a handle bar mount as well. Way easy to use. Downloads your rides / runs via Bluetooth to your phone and strava or any # of other fitness tracking apps. Not many bells and whistles so a tech geek would probably not be too impressed. I highly recommend it.

IP Logged

Nuke
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Wolfpack Trailblazer

Reply #5 - 06/09/16 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
What features do you want from GPS?  Strava is pretty limited (as a bike computer, it sucks): speed, distance, location, cadence, heart rate, live segment.  Speed and distance are best done with wheel sensors and can work with other apps but not Strava.  Any device with a bike option will do cadence and heart rate.  Live segment I believe is only available on the 520 or the Strava app.  Location I don't tend to use directly as is not really needed for trail riding.  

I use my Android phone with this mount the mounts on the stem.  Being behind the handle bars has protected so far.  A few times, the holder had been hit but it just rotates and the phone is fine.

BTW, Live Segments rock!
« Last Edit: 06/09/16 at 3:18pm by Nuke »  

IP Logged

eapap9
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 06/09/16 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I have been using the Garmin Fenix 2 for a while now.  I couldn't be happier, great for running and biking and is waterproof.  It also has some handy features for real mountain biking like a built in compass, altimeter, barometer.  Works with the Garmin sensors if you want to go that route. Battery life is really good too.
You can get them now refurbished for 150 bucks.   
« Last Edit: 06/09/16 at 3:26pm by eapap9 »  

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 06/09/16 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I've got a Fenix 2 special edition (red band) I would sell for a 100.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

49erRider
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/16 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
The new Garmin Vivoactive can connect to sensors.  But I really like the 520 because of the ability to monitor in real time.  I find it much easier to look down at the computer rather than check my watch.

IP Logged

asuprice
Small Cog

Go Mountaineers!!

Reply #9 - 06/10/16 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
49erRider wrote on 06/10/16 at 2:58pm:
The new Garmin Vivoactive can connect to sensors.  But I really like the 520 because of the ability to monitor in real time.  I find it much easier to look down at the computer rather than check my watch. 

IP Logged

nicedart
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 06/12/16 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I use a garmin 310xt. I use the wheel sensor as well to get more accurate mileage. It's a watch but when I ride I have an attachment to place it on the handlebars.

It's not sexy, but it's water proof and does the job.

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #11 - 06/12/16 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Garmin Feniz 2.  Can be had relatively cheap.  (Look ofr Referbed on line).  Same software as 520.  Can't store much mapping.

IP Logged

Rob Mosley
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 06/24/16 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I have a Garmin Vivoactive and I like it a lot for use as a smart watch, tracking runs and tracking rides, but I also use a Cateye and Strava all at the same time. I find that Strava is less accurate than the Cateye and the Garmin is less accurate than Strava. The Garmin will sync with Strava if you have the premium version but I don't so I'm not sure how well that works.

IP Logged

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #13 - 06/30/16 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Vivoactive + speed sensor works well for me for MTB, road, jogging (bleh), etc.  I haven't connected to a cadence sensor because I don't care about that, but will get a HR monitor eventually.

Rob M.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print