Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Lights for running trails (Read 661 times)
John K

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Lights for running trails
07/12/16 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
I'm doing the "Run Nightly" half marathon at WWC next week.  I'm an experienced trail runner, but have not gone out in the dark, so this will be interesting to say the least.

I just bought a Petzl Tikka+ (140 lumen) headlamp.  Planning on also having some sort of handheld (maybe knuckle lights?), but trying to balance the need for it against the weight and inconvenience, etc.

I hope to do a test run beforehand, but out of town quite a bit before then so may not have the opportunity and may need to go in cold.

Would welcome any input on whether the handheld is necessary for running the trails and if so, which ones are recommended.  Plus any other night tips you can offer.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: Lights for running trails
Reply #1 - 07/12/16 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
I would strongly recommend a shake down run with your Tikka.

Tikkas are pretty dim for running. I used one for backpacking for years and it gave off enough light for me to hike by at night but running would be sketch.

I would try it out first or risk not having enough light come race day. I have a Petzl Tikka+ which has 160 lumens and I could probaly run by it on the brightest setting but battery life would be short.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John K

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Lights for running trails
Reply #2 - 07/18/16 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much for your reply and input.  I was able to get out and do a trial run with the Tikka+, and will share how it went for anyone else that might be following this.

I think I have the same Tikka+ as you - it can put out 160 lumens in short bursts, but max 140 lumens sustained.  I tried all the power settings and the 140 lumens was just about good enough (a bit more would have been good, Black Diamond makes some headlamps with 200+ lumen output, which would probably be better for trail running but probably still not enough for riding).  

The lower outputs were definitely not enough to run with,  and the Tikka+ on highest output would not be sufficient for riding.    While the light was adequate, I did not feel comfortable running at a fast pace - no problem since with a half marathon distance I'm not going to be flying anyway - but for shorter and faster runs more output would be good.  

I also bought some Knuckle Lights, (but have not tested them yet), so hopefully that will help also.

The experience of night trail running was pretty awesome, especially after getting used to it...  You really can see where all the spiders are - their eyes light up like diamonds (and there are many spiders out there!).  The first time I encountered a larger critter (probably a possum) it was a bit unnerving to see a pair of eyes glowing back at me.   A few bats were flying around too.  

The light seems to attract insects, so (especially if riding) would recommend glasses to try to keep them out of your eyes if using a headlamp.  Also a terry cloth headband would have been good to help soak up the sweat and keep the headlamp from moving around too much.

« Last Edit: 07/18/16 at 4:20pm by John K »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print