Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic I want to helicoil my Reba post mounts (Read 594 times)
Ridefour15
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

I want to helicoil my Reba post mounts
10/22/16 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Stripped out one of the post mounts last night when adjusting a caliper (yes, I own a torque wrench, and no, I hadn't used it yet on that bolt) and I want to repair it with a helicoil.

I tried searching websites for Lowes, Home Depot, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, and am not really sure what sizes or parts I need to be looking for.  Am I going to need to match the TPI for the current bolt, or will I just get a helicoil for whatever TPI I can find and get a bolt to match accordingly?  I understand the helicoil process in theory but I haven't actually done it myself before.

Any advice on where to get the pieces I need?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

kds57

Re: I want to helicoil my Reba post mounts
Reply #1 - 10/22/16 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
If it is just the post, they are replaceable(should have 2 flats for an open end wrench probably 10mm).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 10/22/16 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I ended up going to Lowes and buying a new M6 bolt that was a little longer, as peeping in the post with a light showed I had 1/3 to 1/2 of the threads towards the deep end still intact.  The new bolt went in and I torqued it to spec just fine.  I double checked the bolt that didn't strip, which I had tightened by hand last night, and it was actually tightened under spec.

IP Logged

pughjetsound
Coaster Bike

motorbicycling

Reply #3 - 10/23/16 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
In the future go to mcmaster.com.  You'll find everything you would need and ground shipping is typically next day delivery.

AIM  
IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 10/24/16 at 1:00am
Print Post  
pughjetsound wrote on 10/23/16 at 11:17pm:
In the future go to mcmaster.com.  You'll find everything you would need and ground shipping is typically next day delivery. 

The problem is I don't really know what I need...

IP Logged

Woods Rider
Small Cog

I wanna ride

Reply #5 - 10/24/16 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
McMaster Carr:
Helical insert and tools 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Government has no reason to use common sense or be efficient as it pays no price for failure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print