Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Should I change cable & housing? (Read 1088 times)
Cherokee
Little Ring

Should I change cable & housing?
11/22/16 at 12:26am
Print Post  
I plan to upgrade my shifter from an X-7 to X-9 and am debating whether to get new housing and cable as well. It's just a 3 year old bike and it currently has a full length Jagwire housing, so I wouldn't think it would have deteriorated much. I've only had the bike a few months so I don't know if the shifting performance has degraded since new. I'm just hoping to get a crisper shift with the X-9. Currently the upshifts are reasonably crisp but the downshifts are not. Advice?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Re: Should I change cable & housing?
Reply #1 - 11/22/16 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
skip the cable, housing and a change to Shimano will greatly increase all shifting capabilities. Had scam on a Santa Cruz  back in the day and really didn't like the stuff because of fussy shifting issues in either direction. Make mine Shimano XT or higher! No more shifting issues.
« Last Edit: 11/22/16 at 1:28pm by jonesn »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 11/22/16 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
You may want to plan on replacing the cable at least. You will have to pull the cable completely out of the housing in order to thread it through the new shifter. If the open end is frayed or kinked you may have a difficult time threading it back through the shifter and housing. If it requires trimming to clean up, it may end up too short to be usable.

If you bought the shifter new, it will likely come with a new cable (no housing).
« Last Edit: 11/22/16 at 2:04pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 11/22/16 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Change it...easy to do and relatively inexpensive.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 11/22/16 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 11/22/16 at 2:32pm:

This.

If you're going to the trouble to purchase a new shift replace the cable/housing as well.  I replace cables once a year and housing every 2yrs.  For how cheap they are I figure why not?

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 11/22/16 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 11/22/16 at 2:53pm:

This.

If you're going to the trouble to purchase a new shift replace the cable/housing as well.  I replace cables once a year and housing every 2yrs.  For how cheap they are I figure why not?

This x 2.  Cheap to do.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #6 - 11/22/16 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
I skip the shifting and just go without.  I'ts really cheap and easy to do!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #7 - 11/22/16 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 11/22/16 at 2:32pm:

Removes all doubt when you replace both.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 11/22/16 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks you all. I guess I knew the answer but was hoping someone would convince me otherwise. So I'll get the other parts and do it right.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

Dirkdee
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 11/30/16 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah, slow downshifts are a sure sign of a cable that at the very least needs to be lubed. It usually happens so gradually that you don't notice it getting worse.

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 12/01/16 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 11/30/16 at 2:33pm:
Yeah, slow downshifts are a sure sign of a cable that at the very least needs to be lubed. It usually happens so gradually that you don't notice it getting worse.

Someone who does maintenance on their bikes must have told you that!

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - 12/01/16 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Dirkdee wrote on 11/30/16 at 2:33pm:

You should change the cable and housing if you need to lube the cables. Its a great short term fix but once lube hit the cables it starts attracting grit.
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print