Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Renting a network cable certification/verificat... (Read 621 times)
Trail Junky
Small Cog

Renting a network cable certification/verificat...
01/17/17 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Hello,

Does anyone know of options for locally renting a network cable certification/verification tool?  Think Fluke branded devices.  I have cable testers that check for correct wiring and continuity.  I have three drops in my house serving the living room that aren't supporting gigabit presently despite being plenty short enough and CAT5E end-to-end.    I'd like to test these before I go through the hassle and expense of pulling new cables.  I ran the original cables.  These types of tools cost entirely too much to buy for what likely is a one time use at home.  These can be rented online.

Thanks,
-Clay

(Attachment deleted)

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Renting a network cable certification/verificat...
Reply #1 - 01/25/17 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Gigabit requires all 4 pairs to be connected - do you have a tool that can test continuity between all 8 wires?  I always have to recrimp the ends atleast twice to get 1Gbps, thats why using a keystone is a much better option... which I highly recommend you do instead.

BTW I got my networking toolkit for $25 off Amazon.  I don't get paid to run cables so I'm far from a pro at it and was able to use it fine.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 01/25/17 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 01/25/17 at 5:47pm:
Gigabit requires all 4 pairs to be connected - do you have a tool that can test continuity between all 8 wires?  I always have to recrimp the ends atleast twice to get 1Gbps, thats why using a keystone is a much better option... which I highly recommend you do instead.

BTW I got my networking toolkit for $25 off Amazon.  I don't get paid to run cables so I'm far from a pro at it and was able to use it fine.

I just realized you stated you checked the wires.  Does it take awhile for the link to establish?  My guess would be bad SNR due to the crimps... also make sure your jacket is cut just enough to get the wires crimped.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 01/25/17 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I'm in the network cabling and tester business and don't know of anywhere locally that rents these things.  Rentelco is the company i usually send people to for such a device.  You could also call any of the local contractors that do residential work that have a tester and get them to do it, but they will obviously charge a fee.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #4 - 01/30/17 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't pull new cabling.  If they are within spec, you may just need to re-terminate the ends.  It's highly possible that even though your tools are telling you it's terminated correctly the contacts may not be connecting properly to get full gigabit.  I see it all the time people state they had cables tested and tested fine yet when i tell them to get their contractor to re-terminate things automagically get fixed.  That said, what are your actual symptoms?  How are you testing and confirming that you aren't getting gigabit connectivity??

IP Logged

Trail Junky
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 02/04/17 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Yeah, I'd re-terminate an end and then test before pulling more cable.  The CAT5E drops have CAT5E keystone jacks on each end with one end each in a racked patch panel.  The other end is in a box.  I have not done this yet and didn't, because I will have to move enough crap to get the jack out to make it pain.  I have seen the issue you've described many times through over the years.

I discovered the lack of gigabit recently through the Mac I have long had connected to one of the drops.  The drops serve my 1st floor "A/V" room under stairs and come from a network/server rack I have mounted in space of above my garage.  I work in IT.  I probably lost support for gigabit when I re-terminated the drops after having cut and moved them from conduit outside the wall to inside the wall.

I have a new gigabit switch that also couldn't connect at gigabit.  The main switch does have gigabit ports that will operate at this speed for the Mac and other computers both through short to long cables at the rack and other drops.  So, the issue is due to the A/V room cabling, jacks, or interference along the cable's route.  Logically, it is at the new terminations in the A/V room or in the wall.

I pulled the a fourth drop the night I posted here initially and now have gigabit to the Mac.  So, restoring gigabit to the original drops is low priority now.  I will return to the situation at some point and put some effort in to the re-terminating approach.  Thanks to everyone that chimed here.

-Clay

Landfill Mining Co.
Managing the (Un)natural Resources of Tomorrow

IP Logged

csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

Reply #6 - 02/05/17 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Before you cut off more than you need to, if you have not tried yet I'd recommend bypassing the drops as a test.  Verify a known good cat5-e jumper that you can confirm gigabit connectivity through it (may need more than one test device also) and go directly from the device you are having issues with to the switch bypassing the wiring you ran.  Not all Gigabit switches/nic's are equal.  Although the specs for 802.3 Gigabit Ethernet is a standard not every manufacturer interprets them the same.  Sometimes devices may have a hard time auto-sensing speed/duplex settings.  Confirm that  you can connect to the switch directly and get Gigabit connectivity between the switch and the device you are attempting to connect.  Often times, further configurations/measures may be needed to get them to properly sync.  If they can auto-sense and sync at Gigabit speeds without errors then you can probably conclude that the wiring you ran is bad.  If they can't, hard code the speed/duplex on one or both (at the switch or pc/server or both ends) until you can get it to connect at Gigabit speeds to confirm proper configuration.  Once you can confirm gigabit connectivity from the switch to the device directly, move them back to the drops you ran and perform to see if they can connect at Gig speeds.  If they can't then it's probably the wiring you ran.

Good luck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print