Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Fisher Farm "green loop" concerns (Read 29952 times)
ryanw

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Fisher Farm "green loop" concerns
02/27/17 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
So this weekend i took my wife and two kids to ride Fisher Farms and have some concerns with the green loop.    My perception of a "green" trail has always been just that.....its for green riders.  My wife enjoys riding some of the easier trails at Lake Norman State Park as well as my boys, they do pretty well in my opinion.  But after taking my family to ride Fisher Farms this weekend all three of them are down in riding confidence.  I didn't know id be taking my family for a hike while pushing our bikes.  the "Green loop" has countless roots with tall sharp edges that stopped everyone in their tracks as well as drop offs in the first part of the trail with no smooth option and very rooty tight downhill (and uphill) turns twards the end of the trail.   It was a waste of our afternoon and did more damage to my kids confidence on their bikes than good.

This trail in my opinion needs to be changed to a blue trail all the way through as to not false advertise as a family friendly park.  Or do some root cutting / smoothing out of the trail.    I haven't ridden the rest of the trail myself, and probably never will after this last trip.  Hope this isn't what i should come to expect as i take my family farther south looking for trails to ride together.

Ryan

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Re: Fisher Farm "green loop" concerns
Reply #1 - 02/27/17 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I will give you my opinion and others will as well I'm sure.  A trail marked green is certainly considered the easiest of options as compared to blue or black.  However, it doesn't necessarily mean the trail is smooth and without manageable obstacles.  The Lake Loop at the WWC and green portion at Beatty park have certain parts that are just what you describe.  Some trails marked green will be mostly smooth as you noted about LNSP.  New riders will often find it difficult to navigate certain aspects of a trail with roots and drop-offs being some of them.  I understand your concern as when I first learned to ride getting confident going over anything but smooth dirt took getting used to.  I love Fisher Farm now but it's not what I would call one of the easier trails in our area.

Encourage your wife and kids to not give up increasing their capabilities.  Eventually they will be comfortable with certain trail conditions and may even get comfortable enough to try a blue loop somewhere.  There is also quite a difference in blue loops around the area.  Some are more technical and harder to navigate than others.  If you're a rider I mean no offense trying to tell you about the green/blue/black rating if you already know that.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #2 - 02/27/17 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
No comment specifically about the trail at Fisher, but I do have a general comment about trail ratings. Trails should not be rated on a relative scale on their own, but rather should be rated relative to other trails in the area. So a blue trail in Pisgah might be more challenging than a blue trail in Charlotte metro.

In an urban/suburban area, a trail marked green should be beginner and child friendly. The official IMBA guide says a green trail should not have unavoidable obstacles greater than 2 inches.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(edited to fix my color mix-up... I confused blue and green in my original post)

« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 12:08am by abruzzopat »  

IP Logged

ryanw

Reply #3 - 02/27/17 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I ride quite a bit and will kindly disagree with you.   If you think the easiest trail at a location should be called green just because its the easiest trail there then something is wrong.   The color system is used to filter out riders based on skill level and just because its the easiest doesn't mean its green.   Granted the blues do vary, but at least you know your in for more technical trail.   Would you call the easiest trail at bailey mtb park a green trail? even if its the easiest one there?    Keep in mind Fisher Farms is located at a city park geared at family friendly activities.

IP Logged

ryanw

Reply #4 - 02/27/17 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
thanks for the link abruzzopat, based on that it loses the green rating less than 300 ft in, and about 40 times after that.....

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 02/27/17 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Based on your expectations...

Dont bother with the "Green" Lake Loop at WWC. Might want to skip Sherman also
« Last Edit: 02/27/17 at 9:25pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

I'll remove it soon.

Reply #6 - 02/27/17 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
ryanw wrote on 02/27/17 at 8:15pm:
I ride quite a bit and will kindly disagree with you.   If you think the easiest trail at a location should be called green just because its the easiest trail there then something is wrong.   The color system is used to filter out riders based on skill level and just because its the easiest doesn't mean its green.   Granted the blues do vary, but at least you know your in for more technical trail.   Would you call the easiest trail at bailey mtb park a green trail? even if its the easiest one there?    Keep in mind Fisher Farms is located at a city park geared at family friendly activities.

No I would not call the easiest trail at Bailey a green. I'm just stating what you pointed out in your last sentence... location matters when considering rating. In fact, this concept is also covered by IMBA... see #4 here:

IP Logged

ryanw

Reply #7 - 02/27/17 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
wow enoch, you seem like a really nice guy letting everyone know what my "expectations" are.   based on your "comment" I'm gonna go ahead and assume i don't really need to worry about your input based on the fact my wife and kids love the green trails at wwc.  in fact its hard to argue any position if you haven't recently ridden the green trail in question, even more so if you haven't ridden it with less experienced riders.   i thought this was a club to promote the sport?  you seem pretty aggressive with that comment.

IP Logged

ryanw

Reply #8 - 02/27/17 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 02/27/17 at 9:46pm:

No I would not call the easiest trail at Bailey a green. I'm just stating what you pointed out in your last sentence... location matters when considering rating. In fact, this concept is also covered by IMBA... see #4 here:

comment was not directed at you, i fully back your opinion

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #9 - 02/27/17 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
ryanw wrote on 02/27/17 at 9:47pm:
wow enoch, you seem like a really nice guy letting everyone know what my "expectations" are.   based on your "comment" I'm gonna go ahead and assume i don't really need to worry about your input based on the fact my wife and kids love the green trails at wwc.  in fact its hard to argue any position if you haven't recently ridden the green trail in question, even more so if you haven't ridden it with less experienced riders.   i thought this was a club to promote the sport?  you seem pretty aggressive with that comment.

Sorry to hurt your feelings

Just trying to give  heads up, there are  roots and ledges on these trails. Didn't want you to be surprised to find it on them.

« Last Edit: 02/27/17 at 10:23pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #10 - 02/27/17 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I love roots and ledges....So do my kids...I remember when my girls were 8 and one of them washed out at Beatty on a root and got a big ol' rasberry on her shoulder....She wore it like a badge of honor...

IP Logged

MountainCycle
Big Ring

Unelite p***^. Heartbreak
lover.

Reply #11 - 02/27/17 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Ohhhh. Just can't wait for CyclePath to weigh in. Smiley

HotpinkHarorigidSpecializedEnduroFSRMountainCycleSanAndreasGaryFisherCobiaTrekSuperflyEliteCanfieldbrothersyelliscreamySantaCruzSuperlight29SurlyPugs nother'YelliScreamySalsaTimberjackYTJeffsy27

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 02/27/17 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Relax a little ryan.
You're new to this conversation.
Enoch is not. And I can assure you, his comments are well worth your consideration.

Although I agree with you. With trail riding, it's sort of buyer beware.
There are trails in the area that are more beginner/child friendly. But most green trails in this area have some sections that are technical in the ways you describe. Often, they don't start out that way. But due to erosion and normal trail wear issues develop a certain character over the years. 

No trails in this area are Greenways. And if that's what you expect from a green designation you will be disappointed.

Beyond that, it's impossible to rate every trail to appeal to every possible rider.
I would suggest before you take your kids to a certain trail, maybe you should ride it yourself at least once. That way you will know if it's appropriate.

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

I'll remove it soon.

Reply #13 - 02/28/17 at 12:05am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 02/27/17 at 11:59pm:

I would suggest before you take your kids to a certain trail, maybe you should ride it yourself at least once. That way you will know if it's appropriate.

I agree this is the only real solution, as trail ratings are subjective. For example, Scott tells me that BYT is a beginner loop.

IP Logged

worker-rider
In The Loop

Reply #14 - 02/28/17 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Thanks Pat for throwing me under the bus. Yes BYT is a green trail to me because it's where I learned how to build and ride trail. Jerry no offense but Sherman would be a green trail to me. I can honestly say I don't ride Sherman much even though I live right down the street not enough of a challenge to me. I do like it though when I do go. Fisher would be a blue trail to me. We really don't have any black trails in our area. It really depends on your skill level and your ability to try to become or won't to become a better rider. Sure you might have to get off and walk. We all have at some time and probably will again (lower hair ball). Please don't bash the trails in this area. We try to cater to everyone but we will never be able to satisfy everyone. We do have a green loop at Park Road Park but it has a few small things on the trail to give you something to work up to. Not to mention the type of trail that gets built has a lot to do with the property that we have to work with. Just my 5 cents.

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #15 - 02/28/17 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Please don't take this personal. The green trail at Fishermans Farms is a easy mountain bike trail.  I would recommend riding any trail prior to you taking your family out for a ride so you will know what to expect.  Maybe mountain biking isn't really the right activity for y'all at this point.  Maybe try local greenways or a trip to a rail trail. Some of the green trails around here are like throwing your kids into the deep end of the pool.  It's not really mountain biking if all of the obstacles are removed. Be glad all trees are removed as soon as they fall on these trails. As a kid, I had to learn how to traverse a lot more than these trails have to offer even on the black trails. We are fortunate to have a large network of trails that are well maintained and labeled.  I often hike a bike in the mountains, I am not bummed out because I can not climb a particular climb on a blue trail but it makes me ride more so I becomes a stronger rider. We get out what we put in. 

My wife loves riding greenways and rail trails so I took her to the green trail at WWC and she gave up and was dropping F bombs 1/4 mile in. We walked out and she has no desire to return to a mountain bike trail. It's just not her cup of tea.  It does bum me out but some people just do not have the desire to take the risk needed to enjoy mountain biking. 

Good luck. Keep at it, just try to keep to the easy stuff for now.
« Last Edit: 02/28/17 at 2:08am by btalley »  

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Ocho

Reply #16 - 02/28/17 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Not all green trails are created equally, take the time and do a little bit of research about the trail you want to ride prior to your trip.  Read reviews on this site and singletracks.com to better understand what you will encounter.  Searching YouTube with the name of the trail will more times than not give you a go pro edit or full ride that you can view as well.  These trails are built and maintained by volunteers and cost you nothing to use.  An afternoon walking my bike through the woods is still better than an afternoon on the couch in front of the TV, imo.

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 02/28/17 at 3:29am
Print Post  
ryanw wrote on 02/27/17 at 7:10pm:
This trail in my opinion needs to be changed to a blue trail all the way through as to not false advertise as a family friendly park.  Or do some root cutting / smoothing out of the trail.    I haven't ridden the rest of the trail myself, and probably never will after this last trip.  Hope this isn't what i should come to expect as i take my family farther south looking for trails to ride together.

It would be nice if there was an exact, quantitative scale so trails could be uniformly rated though I suspect more than 3 ratings would be needed for accuracy.  I have ridden many intermediate trails in other locations that would have a beginner rating in the Charlotte area and on the flip-side I have ridden some that were tagged intermediate that would be expert here.  In my personal expanded rating system I would give the main trail at Fisher a Beginner+ when compared to all the other trails at Fisher and other local area trails.

Your family had a bad experience at a good trail and that is unfortunate.  The good news:  There are miles and miles of other trails in the area that your family can enjoy.  After those trails become routine and easy then it would be worth giving Fisher another try.  I'm not familiar with that "family friendly" tag for Fisher Farm Park but regardless of location mountain biking is inherently dangerous.

Be safe and enjoy the Charlotte area trails.

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 02/28/17 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Ryan, honestly that is a green trail and around here there isn't much easier than the hardest trails at LNSP.  You can find sections of Sherman that are smooth but overall there are some drops / big roots and rock gardens that your family would not like.  WWC lake loop also has some areas that could be considered difficult ( between the rocks, steep uphill, big root, tight area at end, etc), N Meck is rooty as well and has some areas that have bitten even experienced riders (especially the creep crossing).

My honest opinion?  You need to take your family to some greenways and then non paved greenways until they get used to bike handling and how steep the terrain can seem.  After reading your post the only trail I can recommend for them would be the gravel trail around the entrance of wwc.  Have you checked out the Mallard Creek greenway for the kiddos?

Just keep at it and you will find yourself agreeing that the green trails around here are actually really easy.  If you cut out all the roots and made it smooth it wouldn't be a green trail anymore; it would be a greenway.  I can also promise you this; you and your family will get hurt worse at LNSP / Sherman than the other green trails.  This is because these trails are almost greenways and inexperienced riders have opportunities to get up to 15+ mph.  I would love to know the statistics of how many times an ambulance gets called to sherman vs other locations.

IP Logged

MTBman1127
Small Cog

Work Ride Drink Beer

Reply #19 - 02/28/17 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 02/27/17 at 9:46pm:

I would. Same thing to an the extent that a green trail at Beech and a green trail at Vail are going to be vastly different things. 

In my opinion confidence is a tricky thing, but y'all looked at it as a negative instead of looking at it like a new challenge to overcome. It's mountain biking for goodness sake.

Triangle Pest Control - 704.698.5357 - Low Trailblazer Rates

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print