Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Trailblazers need your help!! (Read 11271 times)
sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: The Trailblazers need your help!!
Reply #60 - 04/30/17 at 12:48am
Print Post  
jaybase09 wrote on 04/29/17 at 2:06am:

I'm a member, I do trail maintenance whenever I get sone time and.i buy parts occasionally. You are a person who pisses me off. You post about buying a bunch of parts and complain about being a "member". You know why attitudes get thrown around from any voluntary organization because a small percentage keep it going and a large percentage complain and don't contribute time or money. I've had enough. Are you kidding me with your banter?!  Move a stick on your next ride or contribute 30 bucks your call!

You contributing $30 for a membership does not give you a right to tell people what they should or shouldn't do.  How would you feel if someone who gave a large monetary donation told you that you need to spend more time working on the trails?   

Mark, no one is balking at giving back to the trails... this whole thing has been in reply to Emily's post about gaining more members, I was trying to explain and give examples / opinions from someone who would rather make a donation, buy swag, or help the club in other ways than join as a member.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #61 - 04/30/17 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Just wanted to chime in here because I feel like this post has taken a turn towards membership specifically and that's really not what this post was originally about. The intent of the post was to get the word out about all the different needs that the chapter has and point out all the different ways in which you can get involved. If you want to be a member that is awesome and certainly very much appreciated but if you don't want to be a member for whatever reason that is OK too. You don't have to be a member. That's not what this post was about. This post is about engagement. Its about getting more people actively engaged. 

Membership is one of the ways that you can engage but it's not the only one. You can show your support for the chapter in any number of different ways and any and all support is appreciated in whatever form you chose to give it. Maybe you want to be a member, maybe you want to make a donation, maybe you want to do trail work, maybe you want to show up at our events and have a fun time, maybe you want to say nice things about us to your friends and on social media, maybe you want to help with some of the areas I originally posted about......whatever you feel comfortable with and whatever you are able to do. We appreciate the support. I appreciate you and so does the rest of the board.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #62 - 04/30/17 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
I remember a club trip last fall that looked kinda hip. Said you had to be a member(which I am). Turned out I couldn't go. But if a simular trip came up this fall, I would definitely do it. So I'll keep my membership

GTalk  
IP Logged

Wears my bike
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #63 - 05/01/17 at 11:11am
Print Post  
This sounds silly, but why not make the forum only open to member? Non members can get trail status, club news, beginners corner, and workday sections only. Members get access to everything else. This is how many other organizations structure their online forums.

I'm glad that this is an environment where you feel free to fail.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #64 - 05/01/17 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Wears my bike wrote on 05/01/17 at 11:11am:
This sounds silly, but why not make the forum only open to member? Non members can get trail status, club news, beginners corner, and workday sections only. Members get access to everything else. This is how many other organizations structure their online forums.

I do not think it is silly I wonder if the website template allows it.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #65 - 05/01/17 at 1:47pm
Print Post  

I also think this is a good idea... especially Marketplace.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #66 - 05/01/17 at 3:31pm
Print Post  

I agree. This would help slow down the trolling.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #67 - 05/01/17 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 05/01/17 at 3:31pm:

I agree. This would help slow down the trolling.

I do agree

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #68 - 05/01/17 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
We as a club board have actually discussed this on many occasions over the past 15 years. Some for, some against.  I think in the end, even though a private forum sounds desirable, the club is better served by keeping it open to the public.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #69 - 05/02/17 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
First off I would like to thank all of you who make our incredible network of trails possible. We are truly blessed to have such a diverse and well maintained system of trails. Your efforts are appreciated and recognized. 

I have been reading this thread and earlier noted some discussions about the club hosting time trials or races.  Think this could be an interesting option to get people involved especially if targeted towards beginners and kids. I know there are several very well run events in the area - I.E. The Charlotte Summer Series - but having participated in a few I've noticed that these tend to be pretty intense and would probabally discourage a new rider. I think that a well run low intensity event or two in the course of the year could be a great opportunity to draw new folks into the sport in general and the Club in particular.  In fact it would be a logical feeder to the more advanced racing and riding opportunities we currently enjoy. A good example of this would be the "fun-Enduro" event just held at Tuckfest but targeted to a beginner or intermediate rider level. 

Another opportunity to get Club members together might be to have some of the better riders put on some clinics at their local trail on some of the more difficult sections. I do an ok job getting around the technical stuff but I know there are better ways to get through any given section of trails and would love the opportunity to share ideas on different lines and techniques with other members. Events could rotate to various trails throughout the year and would give riders an opportunity to try new trails too. 

I was also wondering if we can get more involved in the Cyclo Fest event over at the WWC. I took a buddy of mine to last years event and it really got him excited about riding. Unsure how that would work but it's a very high class event that would be good to be associated with. 

I know the issue of insurance has been raised as a barrier to some of these types of ideas but is their a way that we can think outside the box regarding that? I think US Cycling has event related insurance programs. Maybe we could utilize that as a source of coverage. Or how about reaching out to the various Parks and Rec departments and having them nominally in charge of the event with the Club as a sub contractor supplying the labor?  Not sure if that would transfer the liability but it might be something to consider. 

Hope I haven't run on too long here but I think it's an interesting topic and got me thinking. To sum it up I think our challenge in developing our membership will be to find ways to take what is generally a individualistic sport and find ways to package the experience in a way that we can enjoy it as a group.  

IP Logged

TrillWill
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

THTB Board member 16'-23'
LKN TC

Reply #70 - 05/02/17 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
FYI, Trailblazers monthly meeting is this Thursday at 7:30pm at D9 brewing in Cornelius 11138 Treynorth Dr, Cornelius, NC 28031.  There will be a food truck on site if you'd like to eat dinner at the meeting, we've got a private room reserved at the brewery.

Pre-ride at North Meck Park from 6-7, rolling at 6, meet at the pump track.  Chance of rain in the evening so we'll play it by ear for the ride.

It would be great to see all of the people participating in the thread at the meeting, just sayin'  Wink

Ride boards, ride bikes, ride life #shredeverything

IP Logged

Loz

Reply #71 - 05/29/17 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Emily, I'm new here but could potentially help with Marketing / Merchandising. Happy to talk if you still have a need. Jim - jimlozier@me.com

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #72 - 05/30/17 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer to help. I'll definitely send you an email.  Smiley

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Print