Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Southern Classic MTB Series Thread (Read 1600 times)
pearl
Little Ring

Southern Classic MTB Series Thread
04/03/17 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Thinking about heading up to Dark Mountain this weekend for some XC raisin, can anyone relate to how the trails are compared to the local Charlotte trails?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: Southern Classic MTB Series Thread
Reply #1 - 04/03/17 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
It goes up and down a bit more and has a bit of roots and rocks compared to most Charlotte trails.  Closest would be, maybe, East Main at USNWC??  Nothing real technical just kinda bumpy.  There is a fast flowy descent at the end of the loop that has been recently re-done (for those who have not been there in a while).  Follow the blue triangles for the SCS loop.

It's fine for SS, but I always feel a bit beat up on rigid.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #2 - 04/03/17 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Rode it this weekend while 6HWC was going on.  Rocky and rooty in sections and a couple of punchy climbs.  Honestly the closest thing around Charlotte might be Rocky river Trail or Poston.  The end of the trail use to have a fairly gnarly descent but they have made changes because they are hosting a NICA race this year.  I was talking with Jim Horton about it this weekend.  The end of the trail is now like the Berry mountain stuff.  Big machine burms, Rollers/jumps, and fast.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 04/03/17 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
sounds promising! i'm unsure what bike or category to race, but looking forward to the first XC race of the year/first southern classic event!

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #4 - 04/03/17 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
You'll have fun. The course is hilly, but not quite the killer RRT is for steepness of no name. The climbs are longer though- more like stairway. Hadn't been there in a while but the terrain itself isn't any different than around here. No rock gardens or anything like that. Just red clay and roots. 

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: 04/03/17 at 8:28pm by mountainbiker90 »  

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 04/04/17 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
It's  pretty rooty and mostly climbing but nothing too demanding.  The areas that do get fast are full of leaves and sticks so corners can be interesting.

I road there a few weeks ago and almost lost a pivot bolt from the chatter... The Dark Grind race actually starts away from the core trail and goes up fish dam creek trail

IP Logged

Brad6160
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/17/17 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Anybody know what trails will be used for the Stump Jumper next weekend, down at Croft State Park.

12' Trek X-Cal

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #7 - 06/19/17 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I think in the past it has been: Outlaw/Southside/Fern/Lizard.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/20/17 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
honesty preferred: is this event worth traveling 2 hours one way to race?

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #9 - 06/21/17 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 06/20/17 at 6:58pm:
honesty preferred: is this event worth traveling 2 hours one way to race?

I plan to go.  May be travelling directly from Morgantown, WV Saturday instead of locally Sunday morning though.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 06/21/17 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Any recommendations of other trails to ride there, or are the best ones the ones in the race?

IP Logged

Brad6160
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 06/21/17 at 9:42pm
Print Post  

I've ridden there 2 times. About 2 years ago and most recently Saturday. The only trails I have ridden is Soutside Loop, Centerline and Idaho trail. Most everything is easy. If you want a challenge try the Idaho trail. I can guarantee you will be walking some of those climbs. 

There are other trails that are muti-use trails that you can ride as well.  I'm thinking about going down for the race as well, depends on the rain we get the next couple days.

12' Trek X-Cal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print