Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) East Main at WWC - Full Loop Ride Report (Read 1326 times)
MX Mac
Coaster Bike

Old School, West Side
CLT Kid

East Main at WWC - Full Loop Ride Report
04/03/17 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Did the full East Main loop on Sunday afternoon with my wife. (She's was on her new TREK  Fuel EX 8, 3rd or 4th ride, loves it BTW)  Her first time on the East Main sections beyond the bridges. We had a great time.   Just thought I would throw this out there, but East Main, as a whole, could be the best all around more difficult trail at WWC.  It has some flow, some rocks, a jump or 4,  a few tight tough climbs, some skinny downhill sections, and more...basically some of everything.   And to quote my wife (who BTW was exhausted after doing Thread plus the full East Main loop and somewhat annoyed at me)  after the ride she said:  "if that's a blue, then Carpet should be a blue... otherwise that's a Black past the bridge...why didn't you warn me?"     I was impressed in general though, she only had to walk it up 2 sections of up hill, and the one short, but quite steep drop after you turn for home way out towards the WWC main entrance. We took a breather here and there.  Parts of that section further out are much more difficult now that they are washed out and even more off camber in sections.    I lost momentum once and fell over trying to get unclipped.  Thank good ness for knee pads...gnarly fun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Re: East Main at WWC - Full Loop Ride Report
Reply #1 - 04/03/17 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
East Main reminds me the most of the trails back home in New Jersey, love it. Great flow/feel up and down... That reminds me, I need to get out to WWC!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/03/17 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Kudos - that is one of the more challenging trails around here imo.  At least from a cardiovascular standpoint.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 04/03/17 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I agree with your wife..

Try it after a good rain.

And make sure you've got slick xc race tires on your bike.   Smiley
« Last Edit: 04/04/17 at 3:34am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 04/03/17 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
While there are a few steep sections on the east trail extension it is otherwise mind-numbingly boring.  Its total distance drives down the average grade and it doesn't have any memorable technical elements so probably deserves a blue square.  Goat Hill probably has the highest average grade because of the total elevation gain on the initial climb plus fire road over such a short trail.  Carpet is still fun as there are interesting terrain changes with drop offs, table jumps, and actual carpet on about a mile of trail.  The pound for pound champ at USNWC is still the South Main loop with Carpet, Goat Hill, Weigh Station, and Toilet Bowl.   Academy and east trails were washed-out with nearly full exposed roots crossing the trail the last time I rode around Christmas.  They just don't make them like they used to.

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 04/04/17 at 3:04am
Print Post  
My main loop at WWC lately has been East Main then South Main with all extensions.  Comes out to around 15 miles.  East Main is probably the most technical trail at WWC.  Definitely some tough climbing and the last quarter definitely has it's share of roots.  I haven't been riding North Main recently because I find it the least fun.  I've tried Academy multiple times and it just doesn't have good flow for me.  I enjoy the more technical trails, so I tend to like some that would run others off.  Overall, I still think it's the best trail system in the area so I tend to ignore some of the small issues.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 04/04/17 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
StevenA wrote on 04/03/17 at 11:53pm:
While there are a few steep sections on the east trail extension it is otherwise mind-numbingly boring.  Its total distance drives down the average grade and it doesn't have any memorable technical elements so probably deserves a blue square.  Goat Hill probably has the highest average grade because of the total elevation gain on the initial climb plus fire road over such a short trail.  Carpet is still fun as there are interesting terrain changes with drop offs, table jumps, and actual carpet on about a mile of trail.  The pound for pound champ at USNWC is still the South Main loop with Carpet, Goat Hill, Weigh Station, and Toilet Bowl.   Academy and east trails were washed-out with nearly full exposed roots crossing the trail the last time I rode around Christmas.  They just don't make them like they used to.

mind-numbingly boring?  you can't be serious....

While I don't think its worthy of a black diamond, I do think it is the hardest trail out there from both a technical and fitness standpoint.   

If you ride east main and are bored you either missed something or aren't pedaling hard enough.

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #7 - 04/04/17 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
"If you ride east main and are bored you either missed something or aren't pedaling hard enough."

My sentiments exactly!  The aerobic effort in itself is enough to keep the mind occupied what with all the huffing & puffing.  The sections between the climbs is spent thinking about recovering before the next climb.  An addictive aspect of mtn biking is that it allows the mind to wander while the body navigates the trail on an almost subconscious level.  I've been riding @ WWC since '95 & have never experienced a dull moment.
« Last Edit: 04/04/17 at 2:07pm by DavidM »  

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Should B Faster
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 04/04/17 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
It's bad form to attack somebody's opinion so I'll show appropriate restraint.  East Main is like RRT....If you can ride it...you probably love it....if you can't ride it you find fault in it.  I park at the entrance to the lake loop then ride East Main and stop back at my truck before I enter the short section behind the adventure pavilion...then FIG 8....Thread..Acadamy...Thread...South...Carpet...93....Wedge...goat...Wiegh Station..TB.  Problem is East Main is now 6 tough miles (from my truck and back).  Somehow I talk myself into skipping Fig 8 and taking the shortcut to Carpet.  East Main takes a lot out of me and I agree the flow of Carpet/Tower/Wedge is more fun...but It's my personal opinion the challenge of East Main is fun....and I think the trail is beautiful.  I used to be able to ride 100% of the WWC trails in a normal sigle ride until they added the Extensions to East Main......now I wimp out and take shortcuts because of the "Mind Numbingly Boring" East Main.

Academy is also great added miles....I do think you lose some momentum because of tight switchbacks at the "bottom" of hills just before climbs...I'd prefer the chance to keep some momentum to help with the flow/climbs...but I suspect I need to get better in the switchbacks!!!  It's me not the trail!

IP Logged

Should B Faster
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 04/04/17 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Sorry I can't help myself..." actual carpet on about a mile of trail"  StevenA must have been smoking some attitude adjustment on the trail???  How long is that section of carpet...maybe 10 yards???

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 04/04/17 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
He forgot a comma, he means:

Carpet is still fun as there are interesting terrain changes with drop offs, table jumps, and actual carpet, on about a mile of trail

punctuation saves lives:

Let's eat Grandma!
Let's eat, Grandma!

IP Logged

IdriveGT
Coaster Bike

Reply #11 - 04/04/17 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 04/04/17 at 5:16pm:

punctuation saves lives:

Let's eat Grandma!
Let's eat, Grandma!

I just rolled over laughing seeing this! I needed a good pick me up today!

Remember.....Don't be Afraid of it!

IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 04/04/17 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
To the OP: Kudos to your wife! That's a pretty strenuous trail if you don't ride a lot and she did well finishing it with minimal negativity. You're blessed to have a wife like that. And you did your part by getting her a decent bike.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 04/04/17 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
DavidM wrote on 04/04/17 at 2:06pm:
"If you ride east main and are bored you either missed something or aren't pedaling hard enough."

this is what i wanted to say, not sure how you don't love the way that trail flows. for example, i can never get in the groove on that toilet bowl trail. is it maybe the fact it is/feels like its not machine built?

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/17 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Should B Faster wrote on 04/04/17 at 2:39pm:
..and I think the trail is beautiful.  

^^ This too.  The clearing at the top of one of the switchback climbs is very nice.  If I wasn't breathing so hard last time I rode it I would have had a Kodak Moment. Then you hit that narrow slice of singletrack and drop back into the woods.  Bro Stuff.

IP Logged

MX Mac
Coaster Bike

Old School, West Side
CLT Kid

Reply #15 - 04/05/17 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Just read through these replies with my better half. Good stuff.  it is quite scenic out there, great point.  Cheesey pic attached.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) IMG_0665.PNG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JustinCeez
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 05/01/17 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Rode East Main for the first time in full yesterday.  Totally kicked my ass.....in a good way.  Did some of South Main and was going to hit up Lake b4 heading over to East Main but decided to skip Lake and just head over knowing the unknown.  Glad I did.  As an intermediate rider I would def say it more advanced then the rest of WWC.  Even had to walk a few sections that caught me off guard.....but that's part of the sport.  I may not make it a regular part of my route but when I feel the need to burn those extra calories and punish myself a bit more than hell yeah.  All in all great fun, challenging addition!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print