Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dogs at North Meck (Read 1451 times)
sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Dogs at North Meck
05/16/17 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Just a heads up if you ride North Meck, there is a couple that seem to walk there everyday (or at least every day I've ridden there) that walks their dog(s) without a leash around 4PM.  Didn't post to complain or debate - just wanted to post this in hopes that it may prevent an accident.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

I think the answer is.....BACON!

Re: Dogs at North Meck
Reply #1 - 05/16/17 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Sounds like they have experience walking their dog on the trail. N Meck has heavy traffic of all sorts, definitely not the place to rip 4-7 pm.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 05/16/17 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
PBR Tallboy wrote on 05/16/17 at 2:39pm:
Sounds like they have experience walking their dog on the trail. N Meck has heavy traffic of all sorts, definitely not the place to rip 4-7 pm.

Not from what I gathered... usually the dog is 15-20 feet behind / ahead of them and does not respond to them.

IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 05/16/17 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Yeah that's a problem. Its people like that that ruin it for the rest of us.

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #4 - 05/17/17 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Sounds to me like you need to call animal control! Dogs are supposed to be on leashes at all times when you're out in a public places. The leash should be no longer than 6 feet. It's a county law! It's not the dogs fault, it's the jerk that owns the dog.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #5 - 05/17/17 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Mixed use trails people, remember that.   You can call animal control or HTFU and ride in Pisgah where these types of issues are few and far between.

TTB drama.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 05/17/17 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 05/17/17 at 1:32am:
Mixed use trails people, remember that.   You can call animal control or HTFU and ride in Pisgah where these types of issues are few and far between.

TTB drama.   Roll Eyes

You know how you see the videos of people filming stuff instead of helping people in situations?  This is why...

Makes much more sense to me now to not inform/warn anyone and just stop and snap a pic when someone goes OTB and breaks their arm, then roll on yelling strava.

You do realize "HTFU and ride the pisgah" is the other extreme of "how many grams can I save with this chainring" right?  I live in Gastonia, I worked in Salisbury, I stopped 5 mins off the interstate to ride vs not riding at all, can I borrow your teleportation device to ride the pisgah during week?

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 05/17/17 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 05/17/17 at 12:15am:
Sounds to me like you need to call animal control! Dogs are supposed to be on leashes at all times when you're out in a public places. The leash should be no longer than 6 feet. It's a county law! It's not the dogs fault, it's the jerk that owns the dog.

It honestly doesn't bother me enough to call animal control or anything.  The dog surprised me yesterday and I could see very easily how someone could hit it and hurt it/themselves badly.  Heck, I stopped yesterday to move a black snake off the trail so no one would see it and flip over the handle bars (I have actually witnessed someone go OTBs because a snake).

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #8 - 05/17/17 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 05/17/17 at 12:24pm:

It honestly doesn't bother me enough to call animal control or anything. 

Good call.  Calling animal control or the police for minor offenses is snitching.  In life as in mountain biking, don't be a snitch.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #9 - 05/17/17 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
We all know what happens to snitches.....

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #10 - 05/17/17 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Dogs off leashes never bothered me either, but if it does bother you, then that is one solution. What's the difference in a dog running wild on the trail or a person on a dirt bike? It still could be dangerous and get someone hurt.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 05/17/17 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 05/17/17 at 1:22pm:
Dogs off leashes never bothered me either, but if it does bother you, then that is one solution. What's the difference in a dog running wild on the trail or a person on a dirt bike? It still could be dangerous and get someone hurt.

I completely agree with you; just as other things such as yellow jacket nests can be hazardous.  While it's easy to say "you're outside, they're bees outside", a quick heads up may prevent a tragic accident whether they bother you or not.

So... just trying to give a heads up so anyone riding there will be more alert and on the look out for. 

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #12 - 05/17/17 at 2:22pm
Print Post  

Its just a dog off leash for goodness sake! If it were a stray trying to attack everyone then call the PoPo. If you have a problem with it talk to the owner... Folks' way to quick to let someone else do their heavy lifting...

...and when you're mountain biking its best to pay attention for everything. Dogs, holes, bees, trees, whatever. Who just rides along with their head in the clouds? Good way to end up hurt...

catsruletn wrote on 05/17/17 at 1:13pm:
We all know what happens to snitches.....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 05/17/17 at 2:24pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #13 - 05/17/17 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 05/17/17 at 2:22pm:

Its just a dog off leash for goodness sake! If it were a stray trying to attack everyone then call the PoPo. If you have a problem with it talk to the owner... Folks' way to quick to let someone else do their heavy lifting...
Yup.

...and when you're mountain biking its best to pay attention for everything. Dogs, holes, bees, trees, whatever. Who just rides along with their head in the clouds? Good way to end up hurt...

« Last Edit: 05/17/17 at 3:36pm by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 05/17/17 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I think some of yall are getting a little hyper-defensive.  He started the topic stating "Didn't post to complain or debate - just wanted to post this in hopes that it may prevent an accident."  I took the post as nothing more than a "heads up" or "fyi".

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 05/17/17 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Not a fan of calling cops either. I am a dog owner, and I am currently training my puppy to trail run, and trail ride. She is really picking it up quickly, but still not perfect. That being said, I try to find low low traffic times at Fisher, until I am confident enough to take her somewhere like N Meck. If I saw the same person repeatedly disregarding trail etiquette, I would kindly remind them of the repercussions of a dog causing an accident, potentially causing harm to dog or rider. Perhaps its ignorance, perhaps its arrogance.

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #16 - 05/17/17 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
What really bugs me is when the owners let their dogs crap on the trail, don't remove the crap and I come riding  down the trail, run through that crap and the wheels throws it all over me!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print