Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1X9 drivetrain? (Read 1418 times)
DamnYankee
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

1X9 drivetrain?
06/13/17 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
One of the bikes I'm looking at, the Raleigh Tokul 2, has a 1X9 drivetrain. I typically ride trails no tougher than the lake loop at WWC at this time but I may go harder if my skill (and age) allow. It's a 32T front and a 12-36 rear cassette. Should I just stick with a typical 3X setup or give 1X9 a try?
« Last Edit: 06/13/17 at 1:27pm by DamnYankee »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Re: 1X9 drivetrain?
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
give 1x a try.   

advantages
less parts means less that can go wrong
less parts means lighter bike
less gears makes the ride more simple, less to think about
1 x looks better
more ground clearance without a large ring
Can use a Narrow wide on front to reduce chain drops

disadvantages
you can't spin up a super steep hill traveling at the same speed or even slower then you can walk it

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Go for a 2 x. Those are fairly high gears

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 06/13/17 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Sorry, didn't realize it was a 27.5. It's still a bit high in gears. But not as bad if it was a 29

GTalk  
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 06/13/17 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I don't disagree with any of the previously mentioned advantages of 1x. But that bike is on the heavy side and the gearing is on the high side. You may find it to be a struggle on even modest climbs, depending on your strength and conditioning. So it may not be a bike you can grow with if you want to move to more rigorous trails. Just my 2 cents.

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

DamnYankee
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 06/13/17 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Cherokee wrote on 06/13/17 at 5:13pm:
I don't disagree with any of the previously mentioned advantages of 1x. But that bike is on the heavy side and the gearing is on the high side. You may find it to be a struggle on even modest climbs, depending on your strength and conditioning. So it may not be a bike you can grow with if you want to move to more rigorous trails. Just my 2 cents.

So a 3X might be better in that weight range bike? My previous bike was a Giant Talon 3. I stayed on the middle ring (34t with 11-34 cassette) 99% of the time and really only used the first 3-4 gears on the rear.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
unless you ride a lot of pavement or long dowhills, you don't need a 3 x. Try to find a 2 x. Or look for a lower cost 1 x 10 or 11

GTalk  
IP Logged

Cherokee
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
DamnYankee wrote on 06/13/17 at 5:50pm:

So a 3X might be better in that weight range bike? My previous bike was a Giant Talon 3. I stayed on the middle ring (34t with 11-34 cassette) 99% of the time and really only used the first 3-4 gears on the rear.

If you've dealt with that gear ratio and prob a similar weight bike, then go for it if you like the bike. But I don't know how much climbing you've done. You might appreciate the extra range of more than 1 chain ring or a broader cassette on a 1x if you start getting into more strenuous trails. But you know what you want and need better than any of us. Above all, enjoy yourself!

"The state is the great fiction by which each of us seeks to live at the expense of all of us."    --19th century French economist Frederic Bastiat

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #8 - 06/14/17 at 12:30am
Print Post  
1x9?  Seems like an odd combo today...  I can see swapping a 3x9 to a 1x9 on an older bike but a new bike w/ 1x9 seems off.

1xWhatever is limiting in the purest sense but on the trails I ride around here I rarely hit the front small sprocket.   
I just took my old 3x9->2x9 conversion to a 2x10.  This was a low-buck, solid, upgrade that I am very happy with the cost and performance outcome.

New bike I would absolutely do a 1x11 or 1x12.

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #9 - 06/14/17 at 1:02am
Print Post  
32 front with a 36 rear seems like plenty of gear for you.  My one by 10 is set up with a 32 front and a 36 big gear on the back so your low gear is equivalent to mine and it is a 29er.  Whether you get a 9 speed rear or a 12 speed rear, the top gear and the low gear is close to the same, +/- one or two teeth.  The difference is in between with smaller ratio changes on a 12 speed vs. a 9 speed.  Buy what you want and ride it hard.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 06/14/17 at 10:26am
Print Post  
If I was to go for the 1 x , after trying it for yourself
You could always change the front ring to a 30.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 06/14/17 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I bought my bike when 2x were really taking over, it has a 12x36 in the back and a 32/22 up front. That was the stock gearing, and I have had no trouble with it. I like having the lower granny ring. I can bailout of more pridiciments. But then, I'm on a 29er and I'm a bit older. So there's a good chance you're a stronger rider then I. The one thing that I miss about the triple, was the pivot point used to get over large logs. But I guess that is not needed anymore 8 Embarrassed Cry

GTalk  
IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 06/14/17 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I agree with traildog; when I first switched to a 1X10 that was my granny gear (32 w/ 36) and I quickly got used to it (I was a lot more out of shape then than now - not that I'm in "good" shape).  Everything local is short and punchy climbs so no worries there with that gearing.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #13 - 06/14/17 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 06/14/17 at 10:36am:
I bought my bike when 2x were really taking over, it has a 12x36 in the back and a 32/22 up front. That was the stock gearing, and I have had no trouble with it. I like having the lower granny ring. I can bailout of more pridiciments. But then, I'm on a 29er and I'm a bit older. So there's a good chance you're a stronger rider then I. The one thing that I miss about the triple, was the pivot point used to get over large logs. But I guess that is not needed anymore 8 Embarrassed Cry

Douglas I need to ride with you then; the guys I ride with that have 25-35 years on me whip up on me.

IP Logged

DamnYankee
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 06/14/17 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and purchased the Tokul 2. I signed up for a Raleigh corporate account and got the bike at a significant discount over what was originally listed as price. It was actually cheaper than the Giant Talon 3 but has better components. I'm pretty psyched but I have to wait til Monday for delivery  Cry.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/14/17 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 06/14/17 at 11:52am:
I agree with traildog; when I first switched to a 1X10 that was my granny gear (32 w/ 36) and I quickly got used to it (I was a lot more out of shape then than now - not that I'm in "good" shape).  Everything local is short and punchy climbs so no worries there with that gearing.

Nice to have gearing for when you travel to the mountains. I'm not the greatest technical rider, but being a big fat dude. I dig bombing down hills. One of the reasons I like Pisgah and DuPont. Most of the trails are slow uphills and fast downhills. So even though I hike up a lot, I do ride sometimes. Gears for around hear, are not always the best choice Wink 

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print