Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) TRP Srpye SLC Brakes barely slow me down. (Read 1591 times)
pearl
Little Ring

TRP Srpye SLC Brakes barely slow me down.
07/03/17 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
So the new rig has these TRP Sprye SLC brakes, the ones with the two pistons I can adjust. It seemed simple enough to dial in, but I can't get this thing to stop the way they should. It almost feels like the lever is not being pulled hard enough.

These are Sram levers. I've tried to pre-load the lever, double check how tight the cable is, sand the pads/rotors, center the brake/pistons closer... I can't even get these things to lock up on me. 

I did notice it has CGX-SL Jagwire cable housing. A lot of research says that I should be using compressionless housing. This is "low compression". Is this my problem?

Am I expecting too much from that disc life, or am I missing something?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: TRP Srpye SLC Brakes barely slow me down.
Reply #1 - 07/03/17 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Not sure what you mean by "pre-loading the lever" and I have no experience with TRP brakes.  I do use BB7's on everything I have and had a similar problem with the first set of mechanicals I installed.  I tried to adjust the cable similar to the way you adjust a caliper rim brake and it doesn't work.  You end up with not enough lever travel at the caliper and the pads never contact the rotor with enough force.  I released the cable at the caliper, took the slack out, then tightened the cable adjuster bolt.  I then adjusted the pads as per instructions and all has been good since.  I have been interested in the TRP brakes and would like to know you come out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #2 - 07/03/17 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Compressionless housing would probably help but I suspect something else is going on. Did you give the pads a chance to bed in?  Are the rotors new?  I don't have experience with these brakes but they sound like they should have all kinds of power

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 07/03/17 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I ran some on my Gravel bike. THey worked well for me when set up properly. I think I still have some extra pads for them.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 07/03/17 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
What I mean't by preloading the lever was I moved it up SLIGHTLY in order to hopefully allow the lever to pull the cable tighter to the caliper.

They are super adjustable, but it seems like it's just not pulling enough cable to get them to lock up.

I bought the bike second hand so I assumed it was at least good enough to stop well. I swapped rotors around from another wheelset just to troubleshoot, but still ended up with the same issue. I guess once it dries up, I will try and do some loops down the hills here to heat them up to bed in.

Jerry, did you use SRAM levers as well?

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 07/03/17 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Shimano for the win

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 07/03/17 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 07/03/17 at 8:51pm:
Shimano for the win

Ugh. This does not help! I've read it works best with Shimano, but it should work well enough to lock up a tire with Sram!

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 07/03/17 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I just did some bedding in on the hill in front of our house and it helped slightly, or at least good enough to ride single track and on grass. I can almost lock up the rear wheel...

Hopefully over time it gets even better!

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 07/10/17 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Shimano XT and never look back. Pure Braking Bliss!
« Last Edit: 07/10/17 at 1:29am by jonesn »  

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #9 - 07/10/17 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Are you using new housing as well?

My buddy has the Spyres and loves them but is using 105 levers but did note that going with some nice shimano housing improved the feel as well...

From what I have heard the TRPs work best with Shimano. 

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #10 - 07/10/17 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I've got the TRP cable over hydro with SRAM e-tap levers and they work great.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #11 - 07/10/17 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
would any housing that compresses be suitable for braking?  even low compression seems suspect to me.  I mean how much cable is actually pulled.  I wouldn't seem like a lot of compression is necessary to soften the braking power and it would almost seem to me that the harder you pulled the more the housing would compress.  I'm not a technician so, feel free to ignore me.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #12 - 07/11/17 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Sorry been MIA and haven't even looked at this bike since!

Sadly Shimano XT doesn't work with Sram Force road levers Wink

Cycle Path, are you using standard housing? Maybe I'm just expecting them to stop me like my Guides on my MTB?

sager, this is where I'm confused, I see that TRP offers a compression-less housing kit on their site for this, but not sure if its recommended or required for the best performance...

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 07/20/17 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
The trade off of "compression":

Lots of compression = spongy lever feel, but strong grip on braking surface.  This means the lever will "feel" bad, but probably brake strongly.

Less compression = solid lever feel, but less grip on braking surface.  This means whereas the lever will probably feel great, the braking power will be weaker.

Cable actuated systems need a little compression to deliver braking power.  With rim brakes you would barely slow down using compressionless housing.  Disc brakes, however, are typically powerful enough to overcome some of the downsides of compressionless housing and still deliver braking power.  This trade-off becomes worthwhile, especially on drop bar bikes, because the lever feel is usually spongy compared to the feel of a MTB type lever on a similar system.   

You may find it worthwhile to try normal brake housing and see if the braking power improves.

And now for a completely different theory:
Have you confirmed the brake calipers are "short-pull" for road levers?  They make "long pull" versions (although i think they use a different name......maybe Spyke instead of Spyre) for MTB use.  If you were using long pull calipers with short pull road levers you would get the type of situation you originally described.

work to eat.  eat to live.  live to ride.  ride to work.
IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 07/20/17 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
To put it another way:

The original "compressionless" housing is shift housing.  Shifters need to deliver 100% of the cable movement through the housing to the derialleur for a precise shift.  If the housing had compression the shift would come up short.

Brake housing, however, has built in compression, which delivers a little extra grip on the braking surface.  Most rim brake systems, if run with compressionless housing, will not deliver sufficient force to supply braking power.  As I said in my last post, however, disc brakes are typically strong enough to give up some of their braking power and trade it for a more solid lever feel, which can be achieved by compressionless or low compression housing.   

I typically start with traditional brake housing using drop bar / disc set-ups, and only switch to lower compression housing if the lever feel is significantly poor.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 07/20/17 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post, this makes sense 100%, I did just double check and they are the Spyre SLC short pulls... Since I did buy this bike second hand I'm sure its the right stuff... I feel I should be able to lock up the front wheel and send myself over the bars, similar to how BB7's could do this on the MTB... right?

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 07/20/17 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Yes.  The Spyres should have great braking performance.  I would expect to be able to lock up either wheel whenever you felt like it.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 07/20/17 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
i think im going to have someone look over it and not say anything, see what they say lol

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print