Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) WWC Trails CLOSED (Read 3327 times)
.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

WWC Trails CLOSED
07/04/17 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
If you are thinking of riding WWC, all trails are closed even though the website says open. They say they will open them "when conditions permit". Bait-and-switch BS. Still closed at 1:00.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Re: WWC Trails CLOSED
Reply #1 - 07/04/17 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
?? They didn't get that much rain last night. What gives? The website still says they are open. ??

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

pmedly

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 07/04/17 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

We got there around 11 and waited until around noon then gave up. Who knows how long it'll take to find that guy.

IP Logged

.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

Reply #3 - 07/04/17 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
The trails are open now. Some muddy spots, but mostly good.

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #4 - 07/04/17 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 07/04/17 at 5:14pm:
?? They didn't get that much rain last night. What gives? The website still says they are open. ??

For what it's worth, the area has been hammered by rain the past 4 days. See chart below... 4.5 inches. Most locations around town have gotten half that. And they did get almost an inch last night.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) rain_001.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

Reply #5 - 07/04/17 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Another rider told me the trails were closed because the police were searching for someone. There had been a helicopter flying around, so maybe it's true.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #6 - 07/04/17 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
.5aB wrote on 07/04/17 at 8:04pm:
Another rider told me the trails were closed because the police were searching for someone. There had been a helicopter flying around, so maybe it's true.

Not sure if that's the reason but they did have the bridges around I85 staked out with Police when i came by around noon. 

You cant argue with the graph Pat posted. THere has been a lot of rain here lately.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

markm211

Reply #7 - 07/04/17 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Saw a report on the news that seems to confirm that they were searching for someone that stole a car and tried to kidnap two women near the outlet mall in Steele Creek and pursued him to somewhere near the WWC.

IP Logged

.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

Reply #8 - 07/04/17 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I'm not arguing with the graph. I have no problem I f they decided to close the trails because they were too wet. My issue was that they showed them open on their website, the flags on the entry road said open, and it wasn't until you drove out there, found somewhere to park, geared up and road to the trailhead that it was blocked off and marked closed, with a bunch of disappointed riders wondering WTF. Just trying to warn others. If it was a police emergency, that is a totally different story.

IP Logged

JokerSC
Little Ring

Reply #9 - 07/04/17 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I was out there this morning. Around 11 am I heard a helicopter flying around for awhile, and when I got to the top of tower 93 I saw a few police cars and another car.  Continued my ride, and when I got towards the entrance of Lake Loop I saw a few more police cars and the helicopter was still up there. There were at least 10 police vehicles out beyond the entrance to the lake loop, between Lake and the Tower 93 area. They even had a cop on a dirt bike. I was finishing up on the Lake Loop and the police told me and a bunch of others to get off the trail and head back towards the main lot. originally I had heard there was a homicide, not sure if thats the case or not.  They were definitely looking for somebody.

I got most of my ride in, the trails were in pretty good shape even with all the rain.
« Last Edit: 07/04/17 at 8:45pm by JokerSC »  

RideMFRide

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 07/04/17 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I was there also. Police said there was a man on the trails and he had a firearm and they were evacuating everyone from the trails until he was found

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 07/04/17 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 07/04/17 at 7:51pm:

For what it's worth, the area has been hammered by rain the past 4 days. See chart below... 4.5 inches. Most locations around town have gotten half that. And they did get almost an inch last night.

For what it's worth... the only issues today were the usual $hitty sections on the thread trail and the lake loop.  The majority of the trail was in perfect shape.  The chronic sections on all the trails are the silt catch basins.  If they clear those out there would never be a need to close the trails beyond the usual 24 hrs.

IP Logged

.5aB

Must, ipso facto, half
not be.

Reply #12 - 07/05/17 at 12:20am
Print Post  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 07/05/17 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Sounds to me like a minor cultural misunderstanding..

I think that's the way they ask for a date in Honduras.

IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #14 - 07/05/17 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
One of the 2 attempted kidnappings (with gun) today was definitely at Whitewater.  Police announce earlier that all Whitewater trails were closed due to this.   
Closing trails not relative to weather.

GeneD

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #15 - 07/06/17 at 1:59am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 07/04/17 at 10:47pm:

For what it's worth... the only issues today were the usual $hitty sections on the thread trail and the lake loop.  The majority of the trail was in perfect shape.  The chronic sections on all the trails are the silt catch basins.  If they clear those out there would never be a need to close the trails beyond the usual 24 hrs.

Not sure if your repeating my "for what it's worth" part is supposed to be dissing on me? If so, whatever. Just posting the facts about how much rain had fallen there.

And I'm not sure who "they" is you are referring to... have you cleared the silt catch basins out there?

Go ride SWDP it's always open because I keep the drains clear and the traffic is low.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 07/06/17 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
GeneD wrote on 07/05/17 at 9:02pm:
One of the 2 attempted kidnappings (with gun) today was definitely at Whitewater.  Police announce earlier that all Whitewater trails were closed due to this.  
Closing trails not relative to weather.

No it wasn't.  Both incidents occurred off several miles away from WWC.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #17 - 07/06/17 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 07/06/17 at 1:59am:

Not sure if your repeating my "for what it's worth" part is supposed to be dissing on me? If so, whatever. Just posting the facts about how much rain had fallen there.

And I'm not sure who "they" is you are referring to... have you cleared the silt catch basins out there?

Go ride SWDP it's always open because I keep the drains clear and the traffic is low.

It was.  Regular people are not allowed to maintain the trail @ WWC.  So, no, I just ride the hell out of them... muddy or not.

IP Logged

DamnYankee
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 07/06/17 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 07/06/17 at 1:59am:

Is SWDP open today?

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #19 - 07/06/17 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
DamnYankee wrote on 07/06/17 at 1:18pm:

Is SWDP open today?

Home page show it is.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print