Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Which fork? (Read 474 times)
Sandman
Big Ring

Which fork?
07/17/17 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I need to get a fork for my new build. I need something that's 160 mm travel and will be shopping the used forks to save money. I'm considering the Fox 34, Fox 36, and Pike. Which of these do you think would best suit. I'll be riding around Charlotte so I know 160 is a lot but I also want it to handle Pisgah and maybe some Beech/Bailey too. Do I even need to look at the Mattoc, Kirk, Deville, Diamond, Stage, Helm etc.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

renoirbud
Small Cog

Re: Which fork?
Reply #1 - 07/17/17 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Fox 36 RC2 

Noticeably stiffer chassis than Pike and Fox 34.

I like the RC2 over the Fit4.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 07/17/17 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I currently run a 160 mm Fox 36 Fit 4. I actually bought it used from Rene. It is a sweet fork. Very stout chassis. I use it pretty much exactly like you plan to. It's on my only bike which sees Charlotte area trails most regularly (a little overkill), with 3-5 Pisgah and 1-2 Beech mtn trips per year.

I definitely recommend it. It is noticeably stiffer than the 150 mm Pike it replaced, and i'm not really a heavy guy or anything (160 lbs all geared up). It's not like the Pike is a wet noodle or anything, but 160 mm is pushing it for that chassis. 

At that travel, I would probably go with a Lyrik if I wanted to stick with RS. I wouldn't go back to a Pike unless it was 140 mm travel or less. I honestly probably wouldn't go back at all. Both me and my buddy (OohoO) had to send our Pikes back to get new uppers installed (under warranty) to address a creaking steer tube.

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 07/17/17 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I've got a Yari....it's pretty great....And way affordable...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print