Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) new to area, intermediate riders. (Read 1590 times)
KSchwartz380

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

new to area, intermediate riders.
07/27/17 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone, I am somewhat new to the Charlotte area from Ohio. I have been here just about 2 years now. Looking for some intermediate/advance riding buddies. I have a long time motocross racing background and recently got into the MTB scene when i moved here. I have hit most of the trails in this area a multiple times and mostly ride at WWC since it is so close to my house. I have days off during the week and would like to get out and hit some places like DuPont or Kistuma more often.   

Current set up > Yeti SB95, 29r clip less pedals. 

Looking forward to some riding !

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Re: new to area, intermediate riders.
Reply #1 - 07/28/17 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Cool deal. I would recommend showing up to one of the remaining summer series races and see where you stack up and meet some folks on your level. 

Check it out. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

KSchwartz380

Reply #2 - 07/28/17 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Thank you for the information!

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 07/28/17 at 2:51am
Print Post  
That Yeti's definitely not ideal for XC racing..

Look up Banjo Pickin'. He lives up that way and is all over the place.
And post something in the 'going on location' sub forum.
There are Pisgah and Dupont threads.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 07/28/17 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
The summer series Wednesday night races are a great place to find folks with a similar pace.  Don't be surprised if you race beginner and line up to someone like Lance Armstrong though - advancement is self policing, so the list of sand baggers is quite long!

It's probably a swear word, but if you use Strava you'll find folks about your speed as well.  Travel Northwest and give Rocky River a ride if you want climbs and Sherman if you want to go fast.

Welcome to Charlotte - ex MX racer here too.

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #5 - 07/28/17 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Thought about you when I read the orig post and the mx background. Quite a few mx'ers do both activities, and often ride mtb better than most (imagine that).   

As Andy pointed out, Strava can be another way to find folks but I find it easier to meet folks during a social ride or event. That's how I met him and like him well enough- even if he is a sandbagger. Smiley

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 07/28/17 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
The truth hurts Charles.  But I only won one Beginner race - I couldn't beat the other sandbaggers.  Masters now, sport this winter.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #7 - 07/28/17 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
AMitchell47 wrote on 07/28/17 at 8:12pm:
The truth hurts Charles.  But I only won one Beginner race - I couldn't beat the other sandbaggers.  Masters now, sport this winter.

Masters? Now your talking my age group, dang how old are you?

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

KSchwartz380

Reply #8 - 07/29/17 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks Inthebush, ill look him up.

AMitchell47, yes i love rocky river when i can make it over that way super fun. Do you still ride mx? i go to club mx every once in a while and some other places. i got a 2015 crf450 right now that i get out a few times a year to see if i still have it lol. and yes i get on strava once and a while and log my rides but i might have to me more religious about using it.

I really would like to get in some downhill jumping but i dont think there is much close to us? (would deff need a seconded bike if so)

IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 07/30/17 at 3:32am
Print Post  
My son and I ride MX when we can - only a handful of times a year on 06 YZ125 and 250.  Beech Mountain is probably the closest real downhill place to MTB - I think they rent DH bikes there if you want to give it a shot.

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 07/31/17 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I ride WWC a good bit, INT level if you are interested in getting up sometime shoot me a PM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print