Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello.. and a question... (Read 6564 times)
TitanFlyer

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Hello.. and a question...
08/02/17 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hi there everyone. I am an old dude that life got the best of and my fitness level has reached a point that I have to do something or else.. lol. I used to bike quite a bit and do a lot of unorganized trail and quarry riding up in Canada where I am from, so started looking at that as a hobby. 

I live in south Charlotte area and while doing research I really was looking at getting an E-MTB. As I did more research I see that there is a fair bit of controversy around the idea of electric bikes on trails and damage etc. I am looking at a fairly high end Specialized E-MTB with just pedal assist, and was wondering if they are allowed on the trails around here?? I don't want to invest a big pile of money and then get kicked out of the trails.

I am also not looking to change anyone's opinion of this style of bike. I understand both sides of the debate (if there even is one here in this area), but for me, it would not be something I would jump into as a fitness activity without some "help" from the motor.

Appreciate the forum and any help I can get. Look forward to getting out and enjoying the local trails and helping to get more built.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Re: Hello.. and a question...
Reply #1 - 08/02/17 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path has the bike you are inquiring about.  
They are banned from National forests so no Pisgah, Uwharrie, Wilsons, Kitsuma riding. 

Not sure what State parks rules are.  I don't think county has any rules about them yet.
Ultimately it comes down to the land manager's decision.  They own the land and get to decide what is acceptable. They can also change the rules whenever they like.

« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 8:48pm by Doc00t »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

PBR Tallboy
Little Ring

I think the answer is.....BACON!

Reply #2 - 08/02/17 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Monthly Trailblazers meeting is tomorrow at WWC. It would be a great opportunity to meet members from the club, and plug into trail work opportunities.

~Rides bikes for fun

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 08/02/17 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
All trails I ride ban anything with a motor.

I've never seen an e-bike on them.

I suspect since most are fairly tight single track, you'd have a more difficult time riding a heavy and more difficult to maneuver e-bike rather than a regular mountain bike.

Certainly there are some greenways, power line trails and jeep roads in the area that would be more e-bike friendly. I have seen e-bikes on these.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #4 - 08/02/17 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 08/02/17 at 8:46pm:
The Cycle Path has the bike you are inquiring about.  
They are banned from National forests so no Pisgah, Uwharrie, Wilsons, Kitsuma riding. 

Not sure what State parks rules are.  I don't think county has any rules about them yet.
Ultimately it comes down to the land manager's decision.  They own the land and get to decide what is acceptable. They can also change the rules whenever they like.

No, it's not the one at Cycle Path, but the same lineup. The exact bike is likely familiar to a few of the members here since its at NCVelo and they hosted a meeting there recently.   

I am really not too interested in national park riding... I just want to do (for example) a quick ride over to the Ballantyne trails and boot around for a little while and then ride home.. without a heart attack. Lol.

Thanks for the info though. State parks have to go with state laws, and currently if the e-mtb falls under the 20mph and all that, it's a bike and is treated as such. I was more concerned about the general temperature of the other members... if they all hate the e-mtb's then I don't want to be "that guy"... 

« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 9:15pm by TitanFlyer »  

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 08/02/17 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I want to say they had a demo ride at White Water Center and someone on here was saying they demo'd an E-bike there.  Perhaps check into your ability to ride one there?

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #6 - 08/02/17 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/02/17 at 9:06pm:
All trails I ride ban anything with a motor.

I've never seen an e-bike on them.

I suspect since most are fairly tight single track, you'd have a more difficult time riding a heavy and more difficult to maneuver e-bike rather than a regular mountain bike.

Certainly there are some greenways, power line trails and jeep roads in the area that would be more e-bike friendly. I have seen e-bikes on these.

So where do you ride that bans them.. thats kind of what I am looking for. I am never going to be a full on racer so probably the greenways and light trails would be fine, but the higher end electric mountain bikes seem to be able to handle most anything based on what I am reading and watching. I doubt there are too many of the full suspension ebikes in charlotte yet.. they are just starting to get released and are too expensive for most people at this point... the ONLY reason I would buy one is to keep me going, otherwise I know myself and I would put it in the garage and never ride it. Hope that makes sense.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 08/02/17 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/02/17 at 9:13pm:

So where do you ride that bans them.. thats kind of what I am looking for. I am never going to be a full on racer so probably the greenways and light trails would be fine, but the higher end electric mountain bikes seem to be able to handle most anything based on what I am reading and watching. I doubt there are too many of the full suspension ebikes in charlotte yet.. they are just starting to get released and are too expensive for most people at this point... the ONLY reason I would buy one is to keep me going, otherwise I know myself and I would put it in the garage and never ride it. Hope that makes sense.

Where eBikes are not explicitly called out they are implicitly allowed.    Do not go looking for permission where none is necessary.  Do your own research and ride your bike.

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/02/17 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
They demoed them during Cyclofest at the Whitewater Center so I would think they would be ok there, but don't quote me on that.  I doubt you would get much flack from anyone around here when riding most trails either, but who knows.  As you can imagine a lot people (myself included) that have a love for the sport of mtn biking look at these with a bit of unease.  

I also think you riding that bike vs. no bike at all is something that most people would support under certain circumstances.  And yes, obviously all of this is subjective opinion but I think it's great any time someone can get out there and start riding again!  I haven't ridden one on a trail so I'm not sure if you would spend a lot of time having to either slam on the brakes at every tight corner or decide to pedal a heavy bike as In The Bush suggests (that would suck).  But I don't visualize you out there tearing up the trails like you are on a dirt bike so I say go for it!  I wouldn't buy one, but I would love to get my brother who has health issues on one, so he and I can ride together again.

To your question I don't recall seeing any signs at the trailheads of most local trail that say no e-bikes.         
« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 9:33pm by »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 08/02/17 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/02/17 at 9:13pm:

Well, Cane Creek doesn't allow anything with a motor.. Yes, an e-bike has a motor.

Whether you can get away with it or not is debatable. They have full time personnel. 
Spring's also doesn't allow anything with a motor. And it's mostly tight single track. 
It can be a challenge to maneuver on tight trails. I don't see how an e-bike helps in that situation. 

I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer to whether it's allowed or not. At this point, you just don't see them on local trails. 

No doubt they're great for commuting. But considering the current state of technology for riding local area trails? I'm not feeling it.

I can tell you this. The thought of running head-on into some guy with suspect fitness and riding skills speeding on tight single track on a super heavy e-bike doesn't excite me. 
What's next? Acorn power chairs?
There are already accommodations for such vehicles. It's called a Greenway.

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #10 - 08/02/17 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/02/17 at 9:54pm:

I can tell you this. The thought of running head-on into some guy with suspect fitness and riding skills speeding on tight single track on a super heavy e-bike doesn't excite me. 
What's next? Acorn power chairs?
There are already accommodations for such vehicles. It's called a Greenway.

Well you can rest easy... you will never run into me under those circumstances.. lol. I am a little confused on if you are saying the trails are only for fit people with your skill level going in the same direction as you, but again, no need to worry about me being there. I would like to point out that the bike I am looking at is only about 20 pounds or less heavier than the exact same bike without the motor and battery.... and trust me, that little weight would be the least of your worries if I ran into you full speed... heh heh.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 08/02/17 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
))

Well, my point is the same as why other motorized vehicles aren't allowed on these trails.

A 20 lb. weight penalty is a lot of bike to handle on a tight, twisty single track trail. Not to mention the additional erosion caused by such a vehicle.

Is that a problem? There are some that probably think a 150 cc or less motorcross bike would do just fine as well. Not hard to see where that ends up..

Yep, there are certain common sense prerequisites to riding a mountain bike on technical trails in the woods. A certain degree of fitness and basic skills on a bicycle are a couple of them. If you can't self- propel a normal mountain bike on a trail, what makes you think you possess the fitness and multitude of other skills required to handle it on the same trail? Especially one with a weight penalty of 10-20 lbs.

I think you're better off getting your diet and fitness handled, instead of thinking about an e-bike if local mountain bike trail riding is what you are wanting to do. But that's my opinion. 

Plenty of guys here can give you tips that will make you feel like a different guy in 6 months.

But if your heart is set on an e-bike, I'm afraid you're on your own..
« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 11:10pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #12 - 08/02/17 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/02/17 at 10:54pm:
))

Well, my point is the same as why other motorized vehicles aren't allowed on these trails.

A 20 lb. weight penalty is a lot of bike to handle on a tight, twisty single track trail. Not to mention the additional erosion caused by such a vehicle.

Is that a problem? There are some that probably think a 150 cc or less motorcross bike would do just fine as well. Not hard to see where that ends up..

I think you're better off getting your diet and fitness handled, instead of thinking about an e-bike if local mountain bike trail riding is what you are wanting to do. But that's my opinion. 

Plenty of guys here can give you tips that will make you feel like a different guy in 6 months.

Well, I have to admit, there is also a certain appeal for me to the geek side of such a bike.. on top of the fitness aspect. That's just an added bonus though, I really want it to go further and faster (off the trail). 

I would love some advice on the different man thing though... totally serious about that. If anyone wants to help me out with some advice I am all over it. I have already made the biggest change and that's to stop drinking wine. It's hard as I am in a job that has a great expense account and I have to take clients out for dinners.... lol.

I am no Nostradamus, but I can tell you that if these catch on like they did in Europe (and they will), you will be seeing them a lot more in the next 2-3 years. I have read that some manufacturers that are now selling e-bikes (in addition to their years of selling leg powered bikes) are now selling e-bikes at a rate of 1 in 4 of every bike.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 08/02/17 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
You're right. And you're not the only guy around here with fitness challenges. Especially this time of year.

And you can dress up a motocross bike to look like a mountain bike as well. 

Gotta draw the line someplace. And right now it's drawn at does it have a motor, or not.

Check out this thread. It will give you plenty of tips to help get you on the right fitness track. Read the whole thread. 

If you have any questions, send me a pm. 

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 08/03/17 at 12:06am
Print Post  
I'm one of the folks who doesn't see anything wrong with an e-bike. Joe Murray has a good article in the latest issue of Dirt Rag. He even points out that the sale of bikes are running low. So we should not be worried about folks buying e-bikes. Most of the Trails out in Moab allow e-bikes. I would talk to some of the shops who sell e-bikes, see what they have to offer about where you can ride them. I demoed an e-bike at the WWC last year. If I could afford one, I would get one right now

GTalk  
IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #15 - 08/03/17 at 12:40am
Print Post  
I'm trying really hard not to be judgemental here, and so far this thread has been civilized (which is not always the case).

But I just don't understand the point of an eBike. Is it to go faster? To be able to ride trails you would otherwise be unable to ride? To ride farther than you could without a motor? To have something new that someone else doesn't have? I'm honestly unclear on the reason.

For me, the point of riding is just getting on a bike and doing whatever my body and mind are ready for. It varies from day to day, from season to season and trail to trail. I do what my body tells me I can do (sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more).

How does an electric motor help with that? To me it's like hiking the AT with electric boots... it's missing the point, right?

Unless there's evidence eBikes ruin trails or might increase the danger to other riders, I have no problem with others who use them. I just don't understand.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #16 - 08/03/17 at 12:42am
Print Post  
CharlotteRaptor seems like a level headed fellow. I am not a big fan of the e-bike for all the reasons above. BUT the future is coming and at some point we need to face it. As long as my huffing and hacking tired legged butt is not being run off the trail I'm ok with an occasional e-bike or two. I get run off by the racer bois now. 
My main concern is Fred Flintstone getting in over his head in terrain. The other concern is dumbing down of singletrak to accommodate 50# vehicles. 
BUT if this has more people out on the streets on two wheels, then the motorists will have to work harder make all of us hood ornaments. 
As much as it pains me to agree with the Chosen One: Raptor go for it.
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 12:43am by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #17 - 08/03/17 at 1:18am
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:40am:
I'm trying really hard not to be judgemental here, and so far this thread has been civilized (which is not always the case).

But I just don't understand the point of an eBike. Is it to go faster? To be able to ride trails you would otherwise be unable to ride? To ride farther than you could without a motor? To have something new that someone else doesn't have? I'm honestly unclear on the reason.

For me, the point of riding is just getting on a bike and doing whatever my body and mind are ready for. It varies from day to day, from season to season and trail to trail. I do what my body tells me I can do (sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more).

How does an electric motor help with that? To me it's like hiking the AT with electric boots... it's missing the point, right?

Unless there's evidence eBikes ruin trails or might increase the danger to other riders, I have no problem with others who use them. I just don't understand.

Its ok to be judgemental, thats what makes us all different. I have thick skin and frankly I was ready to be roasted alive, which hasn't happened thankfully. I think your question is a thoughful one that quite frankly I don't have a great answer for. I will tell you that all of the reasons you gave are true for me except riding trails I am not capable of. I have a big aviation background and the one thing that I don't do is stuff I am not confident I can do.. in the air you can die, and I am guessing people have died doing trails that were over their heads too. I have kids and a wife and a truck I love dearly.. lol

Quite honestly I am not sure that I will do any trails outside the bunny hill equivilents. I have no desire to fly through the air on a bike (yet).. but it would be nice to be on something other than pavement and more importantly, be part of a group that enjoys the same things I do.

Thanks for all the answers everyone. I wasn't sure if it was an eye roller question or not...
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 1:29am by TitanFlyer »  

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #18 - 08/03/17 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:42am:
CharlotteRaptor seems like a level headed fellow. I am not a big fan of the e-bike for all the reasons above. BUT the future is coming and at some point we need to face it. As long as my huffing and hacking tired legged butt is not being run off the trail I'm ok with an occasional e-bike or two. I get run off by the racer bois now. 
My main concern is Fred Flintstone getting in over his head in terrain. The other concern is dumbing down of singletrak to accommodate 50# vehicles. 
BUT if this has more people out on the streets on two wheels, then the motorists will have to work harder make all of us hood ornaments. 
As much as it pains me to agree with the Chosen One: Raptor go for it.

Well, I intend to help you guys build and repair trails (until I see a snake, then I am out) so I hope to fix anything I break, which quite likely will be a clavicle anyway. 

Based on the absurd amount of reading I have been doing, I think there are likely a lot of misconceptions about the way a modern electric mountain bike delivers power. It's not like they skid out with a twist of the throttle (those do exist, but not what I am buying). All they do is simply make my legs bionic and allow me to get to and from my destination faster and without complete fatigue. We will see. Maybe I will back off and buy a good manual trail bike to do trails if I really get into it and my fitness and skill level allows it and keep the e-bike out at my cottage where there are fire roads and LOTS of trails.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #19 - 08/03/17 at 1:41am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:26am:

Well, I intend to help you guys build and repair trails (until I see a snake, then I am out) so I hope to fix anything I break, which quite likely will be a clavicle anyway. 

Based on the absurd amount of reading I have been doing, I think there are likely a lot of misconceptions about the way a modern electric mountain bike delivers power. It's not like they skid out with a twist of the throttle (those do exist, but not what I am buying). All they do is simply make my legs bionic and allow me to get to and from my destination faster and without complete fatigue. We will see. Maybe I will back off and buy a good manual trail bike to do trails if I really get into it and my fitness and skill level allows it and keep the e-bike out at my cottage where there are fire roads and LOTS of trails.

Dude you are not going to find any absolution here.  The crowd is dead set against the ebikes.  Like I said they are not illegal to ride anywhere except for where they are illegal.  Just buy the bike ride it and enjoy it... do not worry about the opinion of others.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print