Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello.. and a question... (Read 6597 times)
IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: Hello.. and a question...
Reply #20 - 08/03/17 at 1:54am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:26am:

..All they do is simply make my legs bionic and allow me to get to and from my destination faster and without complete fatigue....

Maybe I need one then..

Nope, I like torturing myself. For most of us that's a good part of the whole point.

And damn, I must say... My legs do look sexy.  Smiley

If I want an easy time of it, I'll get in my F-150 or watch fake news and turn down the A/C.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #21 - 08/03/17 at 2:10am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:41am:

Dude you are not going to find any absolution here.  The crowd is dead set against the ebikes.  Like I said they are not illegal to ride anywhere except for where they are illegal.  Just buy the bike ride it and enjoy it... do not worry about the opinion of others.

Absolution.. lol.. i can tell this place will be fun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 08/03/17 at 2:17am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:10am:

It is... for the most part it's a pretty good crowd of passionate mountain bike riders.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 08/03/17 at 2:27am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:10am:

Yeah, and we can always use another trail hand..

Oh BTW, you got an e-shovel?  Smiley

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #24 - 08/03/17 at 2:29am
Print Post  
They don't do any more damage to a trail than a regular bike.  How fast you go will really be up to you and the trail design.  I've ridden one at many of the trails and I can't even get close the local Strava KOMs with it so I don't see that they are a threat.   

Where it excels are for people who have poor to average fitness who want to ride in larger groups that may include more fit riders.  Doesn't mean you're not going to get a good work out.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #25 - 08/03/17 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Well, at Sherman Branch there is a sign at the trail head that states no motorized vehicles, so an e-bike is technically not allowed there.  However, I would ask if an e-bike is really what you should consider if you are looking at it from a fitness perspective.  Riding a bike and working at it will do a lot more for your fitness level.  And the great thing about that is there is no right speed at which to ride.  Slow, fast, medium, doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it.  I don't personally have anything against an e-bike or anyone who rides one, just think it defeats one of the main reasons I ride.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #26 - 08/03/17 at 2:39am
Print Post  
My only concern would be the future of usage for the e bike. I can about guarantee that it will be a matter of time before they are banned from public land. 

Private trails like RRT will probably be the only place they will be allowed. This is only my opinion but it is based off the whole 'motorized' issue. For now they are new and still under the radar, but give it some time. I'll gladly eat my words if it doesn't happen. 

On topic, I think the trails around here are perfect for them from a design standpoint. I hope the tight single track comment about Anne Springs was a joke. The tightest things there are the couple of wooden bridges. Now Fisher, BYT, or RRT are different stories.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #27 - 08/03/17 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Grin

Plenty of tight switchbacks, turns, off-cambers and loose soil on the new trails at Springs.

I can easily over-run most of 'em on my 25lb. 650b.

A 40 lb. 29er e-bike? With a guy lacking fitness and skill?

Better check the brakes twice or risk becoming a tree ornament.

Not to mention the high school kids running through the woods in the opposite direction. This time of year you can't see them until you're right up on them. And most of them run with their heads down and don't get the keep right thing. I about clipped a couple of 'em today. It was almost either me biting the forest or running over 'em.

If you can't ride too fast already on a regular mountain bike on that trail, I'm not sure a motor is what you need.
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 11:27am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #28 - 08/03/17 at 9:38am
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:40am:
I'm trying really hard not to be judgemental here, and so far this thread has been civilized (which is not always the case).

But I just don't understand the point of an eBike. Is it to go faster? To be able to ride trails you would otherwise be unable to ride? To ride farther than you could without a motor? To have something new that someone else doesn't have? I'm honestly unclear on the reason.

For me, the point of riding is just getting on a bike and doing whatever my body and mind are ready for. It varies from day to day, from season to season and trail to trail. I do what my body tells me I can do (sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more).

How does an electric motor help with that? To me it's like hiking the AT with electric boots... it's missing the point, right?

Unless there's evidence eBikes ruin trails or might increase the danger to other riders, I have no problem with others who use them. I just don't understand.

it is not to go faster, but to make things easier. It's pedal assist, and like anything else on the mighty mountain bike. Like a dropper post. You don't really need one, but it makes it easier to have fun on the trail. Do we really need plus size tires, what about suspension. They are all made to assist in the pleasure and efficiency of riding in the woods. You can ride a totally frigid bike, without all the bells and whistles. If you don't believe me, pick up an old Pisgah trail bike. They all show photos of rigid trail bikes on the Pisgah trails. When I first bought my Sawyer, it was all frigid. And I still rode all the same trails. If people are anything like most cyclists, after some time on an e-bike, they will want to get the latest light weight super machines. For those who don't, they will probably still stick to the older shorter trails. Now, I need an e-bike to climb clawhammer all the way without walking😉

GTalk  
IP Logged

GeneD
Coaster Bike

Camper / Rider

Reply #29 - 08/03/17 at 9:47am
Print Post  
My only concern here is that once the door is opened to allow "motorized bikes", as they are now sold, the NORMAL PROGRESSION (and slippery slope) in the future is for people to start modifying them to have, say, 3 times the power and we know where that goes.  Then, this leads to a way to monitor/police these "modified illegal" machines on trails etc. etc.

GeneD

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #30 - 08/03/17 at 11:31am
Print Post  
GeneD wrote on 08/03/17 at 9:47am:
My only concern here is that once the door is opened to allow "motorized bikes", as they are now sold, the NORMAL PROGRESSION (and slippery slope) in the future is for people to start modifying them to have, say, 3 times the power and we know where that goes.  Then, this leads to a way to monitor/police these "modified illegal" machines on trails etc. etc.

Oh, thats been happening for a while...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) just as an example.

The bike I am looking at has a 250W motor in it that only works as hard as the person on the bike it pedaling.. it doesn't help me if I don't pedal, and the harder I pedal the harder it helps, using cadence and torque sensors and no throttle. The ones I see that will be a problem (and only if they use them in the trails) are the ones like the link above which have up to 2500W motors and throttles. I think they are pretty awesome from a geek perspective, but I would be concerned about what they would do to a trail as well.

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #31 - 08/03/17 at 11:52am
Print Post  
my purpose in mountain biking is not to just "have fun."  This isn't a roller coaster that we ride over and over again.  "having fun" is definitely important, but I'm also looking to challenge myself and to work my body to the point where I feel like I couldn't have done more.  I draw the line at this e-bike mumbo jumbo.  I understand it's a market and bike shops would like to sell them, but I think folks considering one should consider doing it the hard way, not the easy way.  too many folks like things easy these days and we're softer because of it.  You can say we're softer because of 29ers or forks or droppers or whatever.  And maybe that is true to some extent, but when I hear you can only go sooo fast on an ebike and it's not much different than a real bike, I think the limitation is the ebike and not the rider and that is  not a respectable thing in my book.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #32 - 08/03/17 at 11:55am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:31am:

Oh, thats been happening for a while...  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) just as an example.

The bike I am looking at has a 250W motor in it that only works as hard as the person on the bike it pedaling.. it doesn't help me if I don't pedal, and the harder I pedal the harder it helps, using cadence and torque sensors and no throttle. The ones I see that will be a problem (and only if they use them in the trails) are the ones like the link above which have up to 2500W motors and throttles. I think they are pretty awesome from a geek perspective, but I would be concerned about what they would do to a trail as well.

Raptor, even with pedal assist, do you realize how much strength and agility it takes to ride a 40 lb. mountain bike on rooted and rocky, tight and twisty single track trail in the woods?

Being able to pedal the bike uphill is only one skill of many.

And what I'm saying is, the weight of the e-bike practically outweighs the utility of its pedal assist on such a trail.

Nothing worse than purchasing an e-bike.. Getting out on a trail and finding out it isn't exactly like what you thought it would be.

I'd highly advise you to try both before you buy.
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 12:01pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #33 - 08/03/17 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:55am:
Raptor, even with pedal assist, do you realize how much strength and agility it takes to ride a 40 lb. mountain bike on rooted and rocky, tight and twisty single track trail in the woods?

Being able to pedal the bike uphill is only one skill of many.

And what I'm saying is, the weight of the e-bike practically outweighs the utility of its pedal assist on such a trail.

Not arguing the skill required at all. However, I used to do it on BMX bikes and then Walmart mountain bikes when I was younger as that's what we had and what I could afford. Nothing where there were official off-road biking trails, just me and some of my friends whacking through the woods and creating a trail where we could get through. We did that every day we could.

I didn't start this thread to discuss my ability to ride, or even if I should buy an e-bike to get in shape with, those are choices I will make, in fact, I may find that the greenways and parks are my speed now and never touch a trail with roots and rocks. It was more a simple question of if they were banned or hated around these parts.

PS - I am writing this on a laptop which Arthur C Clark would tell me is taking the soul out of the written word... jus sayin.

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #34 - 08/03/17 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
DK wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:29am:
Well, at Sherman Branch there is a sign at the trail head that states no motorized vehicles, so an e-bike is technically not allowed there. 

There are "no motorized vehicles" signs at WWC too, but they certainly allow e-bikes. P&R has not disallowed them on property they manage, so he's good to go on any of our trails on P&R land. Of course, there's always the risk that they will ban them later on.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #35 - 08/03/17 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Nobody here has a problem with you buying an e-bike.

If that's what you want.. Go for it.

And nobody here hates them. Even though some question their legality, safety and practicality in regards to the kind of trails we normally ride. And what most here are seeking to get out of the sport.

Just trying to give you the value of our experience. That's what you came here for?

IP Logged

Advocat
In The Loop
Project Board

Reply #36 - 08/03/17 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
In answer to the OP's original question - I agree with Chosen One. Just do it.

As to the debate, we should all try an e-bike before we condemn them. Sorry to pick you out Bush, but if you are willing to walk a mile in the shoes of a swastica neck tatted dude, won't you please consider trying an e-bike before saying the OP's using one on trails defies common sense prerequisites, that it won't handle well, will damage the trails,  is dangerous for other trail users and is the wrong way for the OP to get back on a bike and get some fitness and have some fun (and oh yea, please - just go ride over there)?

Are there likely some issues? Maybe. But think about what we do when we automatically see someone different than ourselves or who does something differently than we do it and condemn or derride who they are or how they do it. I think that's the definition for somethin'.

Also, take it from the sage: just "RAMFB!" I challenge anyone to ride an e-bike and say it wasn't fun. Buy ya a beer.

TRAILS........................................CONNECT........................................PEOPLE

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #37 - 08/03/17 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:15pm:
Nobody here has a problem with you buying an e-bike.

If that's what you want.. Go for it.

And nobody here hates them. Even though some question their legality, safety and practicality in regards to the kind of trails we normally ride. And what most here are seeking to get out of the sport.

Just trying to give you the value of our experience. That's what you came here for?

Absolutely.. and much appreciated. Its not like my brain isn't telling me that I would be better off just pushing myself on a pedal bike... lol. Experience tells me that wouldn't work as I have a Giant mountain bike in the garage now I could probably just get out and ride on now with a little work and some upgrades.

Honestly I am excited to be out on a bike of any kind. My exercise for the last 10 years has been walking around airports and golf.. lol. I am also joining the family up to the new LifeTime Fitness they are building around the corner from me. One step at a time I guess.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #38 - 08/03/17 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Well I don't know where you live..

But I know the Cycle Path in Cornelius (near lake Norman) has experience with them. And I think he has one in stock, and has them available for purchase.

If you have time, you should stop by his shop and check it out.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #39 - 08/03/17 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
sager wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:52am:
my purpose in mountain biking is not to just "have fun."  This isn't a roller coaster that we ride over and over again.  "having fun" is definitely important, but I'm also looking to challenge myself and to work my body to the point where I feel like I couldn't have done more.  I draw the line at this e-bike mumbo jumbo.  I understand it's a market and bike shops would like to sell them, but I think folks considering one should consider doing it the hard way, not the easy way.  too many folks like things easy these days and we're softer because of it.  You can say we're softer because of 29ers or forks or droppers or whatever.  And maybe that is true to some extent, but when I hear you can only go sooo fast on an ebike and it's not much different than a real bike, I think the limitation is the ebike and not the rider and that is  not a respectable thing in my book.
you know what really gets my gander. If folks standing on their soapbox preaching about how everybody should do this because they do it. Then when I'm riding slow or walking a section, keep your comments about me not riding a trail with my ability. The trails are there for everyone. If someone wants to ride a pedal assist, why is it hurting you? Learn to share the trails with all users. If a 40 lbs ebike is going to ruin the trail. Then we better get the horses off the trail. They weigh a lot more then 40 lbs. And what about someone my size. I weigh 270 and ride a 27 lbs monster. Should I quit riding also? I didn't know mountain biking was for only folks who ride carbon and are South of the 150 lbs point. Your arguments make no sense. If a cyclist goes 20mph and a ebike goes 20 mph With your logic. The ebike is doing more damage to the trail. I should go back to school to see why this is. If the original poster had just gone and get an ebike, nobody would be the wiser. Instead he asked, and you all are putting him down because that's what he wants to ride. So get your e bike, and ride. If the powers that be don't want you there, I'm sure they will make it known. But I'm hearing about trails looking to buy rental fleets of ebikes bring a to bring more money to their projects

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print