Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello.. and a question... (Read 6608 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

Re: Hello.. and a question...
Reply #40 - 08/03/17 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
And then, one of the biggest contributers to trial maintenance in the city of Charlotte. BigBikeMike rides a downhill bike on the trails. You better tell him to quit, because a bike that heavy will ruin the trails I Angry

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #41 - 08/03/17 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Advocat wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:18pm:
In answer to the Sorry to pick you out Bush, but if you are willing to walk a mile in the shoes of a swastica neck tatted dude, won't you please consider trying an e-bike before saying the OP's using one on trails defies common sense prerequisites, that it won't handle well, will damage the trails,  is dangerous for other trail users and is the wrong way for the OP to get back on a bike and get some fitness and have some fun (and oh yea, please - just go ride over there)?

Are there likely some issues? Maybe. But think about what we do when we automatically see someone different than ourselves or who does something differently than we do it and condemn or derride who they are or how they do it. I think that's the definition for somethin'.

Also, take it from the sage: just "RAMFB!" I challenge anyone to ride an e-bike and say it wasn't fun. Buy ya a beer.

Hey Advocate.

I don't have anything to with the Swastika necked tattoo dude. 

The guy asked about their legality. I think we covered that. 

It has a motor (with no stipulation for the internal combustion type) therefore it is technically not allowed on the trails I ride. We also tried to cover some of the practical reasons why motor vehicles are not allowed on these trails. I'm not condemning or deriding anybody. Well at least not anymore than some here condemn or deride those that ride trail bikes at Beatty or Sherman.

I'm tickled pink he wants to ride an e-bike at Beatty.  

I'll skip the beer. Have you considered running for Congress?  Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 1:10pm by IntheBush »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #42 - 08/03/17 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 08/03/17 at 9:38am:

it is not to go faster, but to make things easier. It's pedal assist, and like anything else on the mighty mountain bike. Like a dropper post. You don't really need one, but it makes it easier to have fun on the trail. Do we really need plus size tires, what about suspension. They are all made to assist in the pleasure and efficiency of riding in the woods. You can ride a totally frigid bike, without all the bells and whistles. If you don't believe me, pick up an old Pisgah trail bike. They all show photos of rigid trail bikes on the Pisgah trails. When I first bought my Sawyer, it was all frigid. And I still rode all the same trails. If people are anything like most cyclists, after some time on an e-bike, they will want to get the latest light weight super machines. For those who don't, they will probably still stick to the older shorter trails. Now, I need an e-bike to climb clawhammer all the way without walking😉

OP literally said it's to go faster and longer, and lets be honest that is the majority of why people buy them.  Not saying I'm against them or for them, but lets not beat around the bush.

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #43 - 08/03/17 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
sCvHeaVens wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:59pm:

OP literally said it's to go faster and longer, and lets be honest that is the majority of why people buy them.  Not saying I'm against them or for them, but lets not beat around the bush.

I didn't mean to start a "thing"... sorry. I want to go faster and further on the road. The purpose built e-mtb's that I am looking at don't go "faster" on trails except maybe downhill and uphill, but they can get me to the trail faster. Thats all I meant. I will leave all this alone now as I think I got what I was looking for.

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 08/03/17 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:10am:

Absolution.. lol.. i can tell this place will be fun.

That comment was sort of an eye roller to me.. But I appreciate that people are passionate about the sport.

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #45 - 08/03/17 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That comment was sort of an eye roller to me.. But I appreciate that people are passionate about the sport.

Grin

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #46 - 08/03/17 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:13pm:

I didn't mean to start a "thing"... sorry. I want to go faster and further on the road. The purpose built e-mtb's that I am looking at don't go "faster" on trails except maybe downhill and uphill, but they can get me to the trail faster. Thats all I meant. I will leave all this alone now as I think I got what I was looking for.

You didn't start anything, its been brought up more than a few times so no worries.  I can get behind the idea of ebikes getting people on bikes who wouldn't normally be on bikes.  I unfortunately don't think that is the draw for a lot of the people... 

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #47 - 08/03/17 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Heck, I'd walk my mountain bike before I bought one with a motor. Eventually I'd get tired and hop on and start peddlin'.

It's just not what I'm out there for.

If I wanted something with a motor, I'd buy a dirt bike or a Harley. And ride at Beatty.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 1:43pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #48 - 08/03/17 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
USNWC opted not to have a policy on e-bikes, which implicitly allows them, and I was one of the people who helped make that decision.  This decision was necessary in preparation for cyclofest.  Prior to the decision I rode the same bike the original poster is considering purchasing (and I started with a significantly negative opinion of e-bikes), and by the end of the ride I no longer had a problem with them.   

I don't want to own an e-bike, but most of the concerns people who haven't ridden them throw around are complete non-issues.  Your speed is still largely defined by the trail and your fitness, and they do not damage trails in any way beyond a typical mtb.  The only difference is that you can climb a trail like Goat Hill without being out of breath at the top.  I never felt like I was even riding that much faster than I normally would.....it just felt easier.

So, once Cyclofest came to be, we saw hordes of people riding multitudes of e-bikes all over usnwc, and there were no issues that I was ever made aware of.   
I think they're really dorky, and I currently have no need for one, but they do not present the problems that everyone typically attributes to them.

work to eat.  eat to live.  live to ride.  ride to work.
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #49 - 08/03/17 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
lee flythe wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:43pm:

I don't want to own an e-bike, but most of the concerns people who haven't ridden them throw around are complete non-issues.  Your speed is still largely defined by the trail and your fitness..

Then what is the benefit for the OP? Other than enabling him to ride trails that he lacks the skill and fitness to ride without an e-bike. As I pointed out, peddling the bike is one skill that is needed. There are many others.

So, thinking about the future, where do you draw the line?
In 5 years when the technology is developed to the point where Tesla e-bike version will give a motocross bike today a run for its money?

, and they do not damage trails in any way beyond a typical mtb.

Heavier bikes don't damage trails more than lighter bikes?
This sounds a little nonsensical to me.

The only difference is that you can climb a trail like Goat Hill without being out of breath at the top.  I never felt like I was even riding that much faster than I normally would.....it just felt easier.

Oh, so it's a little like having gears (see comment above about the future)?

So, once Cyclofest came to be, we saw hordes of people riding multitudes of e-bikes all over usnwc, and there were no issues that I was ever made aware of.  
I think they're really dorky, and I currently have no need for one, but they do not present the problems that everyone typically attributes to them. 

I think you guys should consider widening the trails and increasing sight distance if this is the direction mountain bike technology and marketing is heading. The day will be coming when the Strava KOM is riding an e-bike. I think we can expect trail times to decrease significantly.

« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 2:11pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 08/03/17 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I'll call out what I think a lot of "experienced riders" observe but don't point out for fear of embarrassing others.  And it's another eye roller every time I read these types of comments.  When people tend to overstate how easily you could be riding local trails and then catastrophically crash into someone coming the opposite direction!  Or you go over the bars because of some demon root that you could almost swear has a mind of its own!  Or even this misconception that aggressive riding on longer travel or DH bikes will, any day now, damage our trails beyond repair.  And then the slower riding sages with their bike bells will be able to say "told ya so."  My immediate thought is that the people making these comments aren't very skilled riders and probably not that athletic but they will comment the most on technique, how different types of bikes handle at speed, and so on.  It creates some unnecessary anxiety and fear when instead we should encouraging other riders to excel and improve.

I don't want to downplay how important it is to ride safe and within your own limits.  But we can reach out to others that we think could help us improve a particular skill or show you a line through a section of trail you are have difficulty clearing.  Personally, I would rather ride with the guy on the e bike vs. someone who is hyper aware of the inherent dangers of the sport and handles their bike accordingly.  My nerves would be shot after a ride like that!

Have fun with your new ride Raptor!
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 2:18pm by »  

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #51 - 08/03/17 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/03/17 at 1:13pm:

I told you so...

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #52 - 08/03/17 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'll call out what I think a lot of "experienced riders" observe but don't point out for fear of embarrassing others.  And it's another eye roller every time I read these types of comments.  When people tend to overstate how easily you could be riding local trails and then catastrophically crash into someone coming the opposite direction!  Or you go over the bars because of some demon root that you could almost swear has a mind of its own!  Or even this misconception that aggressive riding on longer travel or DH bikes will, any day now, damage our trails beyond repair.  And then the slower riding sages with their bike bells will be able to say "told ya so."  My immediate thought is that the people making these comments aren't very skilled riders and probably not that athletic but they will comment the most on technique, how different types of bikes handle at speed, and so on.  It creates some unnecessary anxiety and fear when instead we should encouraging other riders to excel and improve.

So you're saying that pushing helmet usage is creating unnecessary anxiety and fear?

For me it's sort of like the shooting sports or flying airplanes. It's people that don't have a safe attitude and approach things with a certain degree of carelessness are the ones that disturb me. Maybe it's an age and experience thing. Wouldn't be the first I've had to carry somebody out of the woods, apply a tourniquet and call an ambulance.

Quote:
I don't want to downplay how important it is to ride safe and within your own limits.

We agree about this.

Quote:
..But we can reach out to others that we think could help us improve a particular skill or show you a line through a section of trail you are have difficulty clearing.  Personally, I would rather ride with the guy on the e bike vs. someone who is hyper aware of the inherent dangers of the sport and handles their bike accordingly.  My nerves would be shot after a ride like that!

That's exactly what we were trying to do with the OP.

Reach out and explore with him the legality and benefits or lack thereof of e-bikes vs. other options.

I would do the same if an inexperienced rider came here asking about a full rigid SS vs. a geared full squish bike. Different bikes, slightly different skill set and risks.

You should try sky diving. You make sure your homework's done before you get in the plane, take the ride and go out the door. Nerve wracking. Yep, and not for everybody.  

I think the OP now has the information he needs to make an informed decision.
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 2:47pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #53 - 08/03/17 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
eBikes are coming whether you lik it or not...

However the ones we are seeing from Specialized etc. pose very little risk in terms of higher speeds, trail damage, etc. They aren't that much heavier, and local terrain limits the top speeds you can reach. I was waay faster on my pedal bike than the eBike I rode at Cyclofest... 

The "problem" with eBikes is the slippery slop that starts once you allow them. I know of a several "eBike" brands that offer the equivalent of a 50cc gas engine on their electric motors with no pedal assist... electric dirt bikes basically. They are marketed as e-mountain bikes...

Are these "eBikes" ok to ride at Sherman, Beatty, etc?...I would hope not.

Is the solution an outright ban on bikes not 100% human powered? Pedal assist only? Limits on motor output?

The eBike lobby is STRONG and we will see plenty of them on our trails soon... whether we want it or not.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #54 - 08/03/17 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
To the OP, a E-Bike is designed for someone in the situation you describe.  It's a great way for you to have a lot of fun and get good exercise at the same time.  They don't look much different than a regular mtb unless someone knows what to look for.  Go buy what you want for your needs and don't listen to the bush, he is adopted!  

I joke around and call them mopeds all of the time but in fact they are mtbs with pedal assist and a lot of fun to ride.  No further trail damage will occur. 

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 08/03/17 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:32pm:

So you're saying that pushing helmet usage is creating unnecessary anxiety and fear?

NO!

That's exactly what we were trying to do with the OP.

Reach out and explore with him the legality and benefits or lack thereof of e-bikes vs. other options.

I would do the same if an inexperienced rider came here asking about a full rigid SS *please explain the difference between a "fully rigid" singlespeed and a rigid singlespeed.  You obviously know your stuff so I'm curious about that.* vs. a geared full squish bike. Different bikes, slightly different skill set and risks.

You should try sky diving. You make sure your homeworks done before you get in the plane, take the ride and go out the door. Nerve wracking. Yep, and not for everybody.  Wink

Thanks James Bond.   

Are you actually riding a carbon Specialized Camber now?  Or are you still trying to convince everyone that carbon frames are ticking time bombs for anyone that knows how to shred?  Take your sarcasm elsewhere.  Wink  Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #56 - 08/03/17 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Thanks James Bond.  

Are you actually riding a carbon Specialized Camber now?  Or are you still trying to convince everyone that carbon frames are ticking time bombs for anyone that knows how to shred?  Take your sarcasm elsewhere.  Wink  Wink Wink Wink Wink

It's called responding in kind.  

Have you checked out my carbon fiber torture tests down in the gear section of the forum?

I've got 4 bikes. One steel SS, one aluminum FS and two carbon (FS and HT). For the last three days I've ridden nothing but carbon. Does that tell you something about how I feel about carbon fiber? 

I'm always naturally skeptical of anything the industry is pushing. Because they're in the business of selling bikes. Not necessarily looking out for the welfare of my backside. That's my responsibility.  Wink

« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 3:09pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #57 - 08/03/17 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Hi-Tourqe publications out out a magazine called ebike action. People should read some of the reviews. They almost read like bike light discriptions. When you ride them at the highest setting, which you would have to do if you want to go faster, battery life is not as long. So I'm sure people won't be riding to go faster. But instead have the ability to climb hills better. And also the weight of a rider has to have effect on battery drain. And most of the people who want to get these seem to be in that category. So all of you epic riders out there don't have a lot to worry about doing whatever it is your doing that you don't want more riders on the trail up Cheesy

GTalk  
IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #58 - 08/03/17 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:41pm:
eBikes are coming whether you lik it or not...

However the ones we are seeing from Specialized etc. pose very little risk in terms of higher speeds, trail damage, etc. They aren't that much heavier, and local terrain limits the top speeds you can reach. I was waay faster on my pedal bike than the eBike I rode at Cyclofest... 

The "problem" with eBikes is the slippery slop that starts once you allow them. I know of a several "eBike" brands that offer the equivalent of a 50cc gas engine on their electric motors with no pedal assist... electric dirt bikes basically. They are marketed as e-mountain bikes...

Are these "eBikes" ok to ride at Sherman, Beatty, etc?...I would hope not.

Is the solution an outright ban on bikes not 100% human powered? Pedal assist only? Limits on motor output?

The eBike lobby is STRONG and we will see plenty of them on our trails soon... whether we want it or not.

This is the slippery slope that will have to be dealt with in regards to allowing them on trails.  If a sign is posted stating no motorized vehicles, then technically any e-bike is not allowed.  To say some of them are okay allows the argument for the bikes shown in the link above.  At some point Parks and Rec and WWC and the other entities that run the local trails will have to spell out specifically what is allowed on the trail and what isn't.  I'm not convinced that a bike such as the Specialized causes any more damage than a regular bike, but I do see that something with a more powerful motor certainly could.  Of course, there is more damage being done to trails now by people who go riding on trails when they are closed due to weather than by e-bikes.  That's a bigger argument to have in my opinion.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #59 - 08/03/17 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
I can't afford to ever get a new bike in this century. So I enter all the contests, weather it be Gravel, FS, or ebike. I'll ride anything I can obtain. And since I consider myself a big guy at 270 and 6'2". The only person I see protesting is another big guy. Unless you hire a bodyguard to accompany you on the trail 😂😄😝😲

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Print