Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hello.. and a question... (Read 6598 times)
JasonK
Ex Member

Re: Hello.. and a question...
Reply #60 - 08/03/17 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/03/17 at 2:57pm:

Have you checked out my carbon fiber torture tests down in the gear section of the forum?

Hell no...but I'm glad you got over your irrational fear of carbon frames.  I knew a jpeg was on the way so thanks for that.  They are always so witty and funny.   

Sorry man you and I don't see eye to eye on much but I know you love mtn biking and I respect that.  I just think a lot of what you say comes out of left field, and if it doesn't start there it ends up there.  I'm an ass though so cheers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #61 - 08/03/17 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
So what about electronic shifting. The rear derailleur has a little motor in it. So if a trail specifies no motorized transportation. Then it must apply to all motors

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #62 - 08/03/17 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Hell no...but I'm glad you got over your irrational fear of carbon frames.  I knew a jpeg was on the way so thanks for that.  They are always so witty and funny.  

Sorry man you and I don't see eye to eye on much but I know you love mtn biking and I respect that.  I just think a lot of what you say comes out of left field, and if it doesn't start there it ends up there.  I'm an ass though so cheers. 

Smiley

No problems here, man.

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Hey, make sure you check out my carbon fiber torture tests down in the gear subsection of the forum.. I run over different parts with my F-150. If it survives it makes the cut.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 08/03/17 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/03/17 at 3:32pm:

Smiley

No problems here, man.

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Hey, make sure you check out my carbon fiber torture tests down in the gear subsection of the forum.. I run over different parts with my F-150. If it survives it makes the cut.

I know you have thick skin and can take rash of **** from someone else so I'm glad you are not perceiving the roasting with contempt.

IP Logged

forkit
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #64 - 08/03/17 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I have this visual of a family e-biking to the top of Cedar Rock at Dupont with a 20 piece bucket of KFC in the front basket.

This is the future of mountain biking:  buckets of fried chicken.

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 08/03/17 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ha!  They'd have to come down eventually though.  It's not super technical but I wouldn't call it family friendly either.

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #66 - 08/03/17 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
forkit wrote on 08/03/17 at 3:57pm:
I have this visual of a family e-biking to the top of Cedar Rock at Dupont with a 20 piece bucket of KFC in the front basket.

This is the future of mountain biking:  buckets of fried chicken.

MMMMMM.... fried chicken... maybe a fishing pole with a KFC chicken leg on it attached to their back and dangling in front of them will help....

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #67 - 08/03/17 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 08/03/17 at 3:13pm:
I can't afford to ever get a new bike in this century. So I enter all the contests, weather it be Gravel, FS, or ebike. I'll ride anything I can obtain. And since I consider myself a big guy at 270 and 6'2". The only person I see protesting is another big guy. Unless you hire a bodyguard to accompany you on the trail 😂😄😝😲

I had the same thought. I am about the same size as you, so I don't think many people will get in my face even if they think it in their head.... dirty looks and a possible nasty comment is about all I likely would ever get, and that's when they are biking away from me thinking I can't catch them....but I will have an electric mountain bike, so jokes on them.

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #68 - 08/03/17 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
My only question if I see you on the trails will be if I can take it for a spin! Lots of off-roadies here so I doubt many people will even notice it's an e-bike anyway. Definitely easier to ask for forgiveness in this case. Hope you enjoy the all-year mtb season here!

Edit: Did you bring any maple syrup with you? It's kinda pricey here.  sorry
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 4:34pm by chickenwyre »  

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #69 - 08/03/17 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
chickenwyre wrote on 08/03/17 at 4:30pm:
My only question if I see you on the trails will be if I can take it for a spin! Lots of off-roadies here so I doubt many people will even notice it's an e-bike anyway. Definitely easier to ask for forgiveness in this case. Hope you enjoy the all-year mtb season here!

Edit: Did you bring any maple syrup with you? It's kinda pricey here.  sorry

Have been here for 20 years.. don't go back much except on business, but if I do I will bring some back. LOL...

PS - If I do end up with one, I will be glad to let people try it out... 

IP Logged

FMWilly
Coaster Bike

Reply #70 - 08/03/17 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I have 3 bikes- an old Trek 5200 for my road biking and 2 Specialized Mt bikes- Camber 29 which is my normal bike of choice and I do have a Specialized Levo ebike. The ebike is heavier but with the pedal assist you don't notice the weight too much. Not sure where people get the notion it wrecks the trails since I see more trail erosion when people ride too soon after it rains. The real benefit of the ebike is that you can ride more miles than you would normally ride (especially in the summer).  I'm in my early 60's in good shape but I dont have legs and lungs like a 25 year old. 

You can go to any bike shop and pay $75 or so and borrow one for a day and check them out to see if you want to buy one. Personally I would wait till the price comes down and they shave off some weight. 

Also I have let many people ride it and everyone had smiles on their faces when they got off the bike!
« Last Edit: 08/03/17 at 4:48pm by FMWilly »  

IP Logged

lee flythe
Coaster Bike

Reply #71 - 08/03/17 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Bush, you sound a lot like I did before I ever experienced an e-bike firsthand.

Again, they are lame, but they're not really any more dangerous or damaging.  When I rode one I essentially achieved the speed of a good, fast day on my normal bike, but with the effort of just cruising around.  At no point did I feel like the bike was pushing me faster than I would have ridden on my own bike.  They make riding a LOT easier, but not really in a way that does damage or makes people significantly more dangerous than they already are.   

I am no longer associated with usnwc, but I was for a long time, and I was there for the e-bike discussion.  I was also the person responsible for the health of the trails, and I never saw any damage attributable to e-bikes.

The decision not to have a policy allows the ability to prohibit them later if issues arise.  At this point, that's not my responsibility anymore, so whatever happens in the future with e-bikes and usnwc will be for someone else to decide.  One thing for sure though, they're already riding local trails.  Cyclofest might as well have been E-bikefest, but I was seeing random e-bikes out there pretty frequently outside of cyclofest.

Just sharing the experience of a former trail manager who happens to have seen more e-bikes in action that most anyone else in town.   I hated the thought of them too until I rode one.  I don't hate them anymore, but I am also not a proponent of them.  I guess I'm just indifferent, but I've had enough experience to know the typical arguments don't stand up.

work to eat.  eat to live.  live to ride.  ride to work.
IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 08/03/17 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
lee flythe wrote on 08/03/17 at 5:08pm:
I don't hate them anymore, but I am also not a proponent of them.  I guess I'm just indifferent, but I've had enough experience to know the typical arguments don't stand up.    

I would guess that a lot of people are in this same camp.  I am.   

On a different note, I can't wait for Cyclofest to roll around again this year!  There were a lot of people trying out eBikes but there was also tons of amazing bikes with top tier builds to demo until your heart was content.  It was like Disney World for bikers.  I remember being impressed with the Trek Remedy and whatever the Norco equivalent was.  The Norco was my favorite overall but I can't recall the model.  I'm sure the Santa Cruz's all rocked too but I own a Tallboy so I wanted to try different brands.   

I also rode a fatbike which was cool but not something I would purchase.      

IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #73 - 08/04/17 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Just was doing more research on different models and found this video... really shows that its not a motorcycle and that its still a lot of work... and the guy didn't kill a single person... 

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #74 - 08/04/17 at 3:39am
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/04/17 at 12:00am:
Just was doing more research on different models and found this video... really shows that its not a motorcycle and that its still a lot of work... and the guy didn't kill a single person... 

Now I think you are a troll... You got what you were looking for now take your $hit elsewhere.

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #75 - 08/04/17 at 5:55am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 08/04/17 at 3:39am:

Now I think you are a troll... You got what you were looking for now take your $hit elsewhere.

Trolls are people too....

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

TitanFlyer

Reply #76 - 08/04/17 at 11:43am
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 08/04/17 at 3:39am:

Sorry man, not a troll at all... was trying to continue the conversation and share what I found while i was excitedly looking at which bike to buy. Geez... didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to post after my question was answered. Certainly hope you and I can meet up on a trail sometime...

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 08/04/17 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
TitanFlyer wrote on 08/04/17 at 11:43am:

Sorry man, not a troll at all... was trying to continue the conversation and share what I found while i was excitedly looking at which bike to buy. Geez... didn't realize that I wasn't allowed to post after my question was answered. Certainly hope you and I can meet up on a trail sometime...

Not sure what that guys problem is!  I agree his response is out of line and as you've seen there are some very different personalities on here.  A lot of the threads tend to turn into a train wreck  Grin  I've met some of the coolest most down to earth people mountain biking and also some of the most abrasive dck bags ever.  I'd like to meet you for a lap or two if you ever get that thing.  You can follow my wheel on some of downhills and I can chase an eBike uphill.  Win-Win.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #78 - 08/04/17 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Jason is spot on.  Most on this web page are good folks. A couple are abrasive ass hats. Best to not feed them with a response and maybe they'll fade away. Such is the human race.
Co-incidentally with this topic the latest issue of Bicycling was in my mailbox last night. One-half of it is devoted to e-bikes. There is some interesting information in it about the components, and of course the usual fluffy ride report. I think one of the e-bikes weighs in at a svelte 73 pounds. It has a walk assist mode for pushing.
« Last Edit: 08/04/17 at 1:40pm by Tom F »  

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #79 - 08/04/17 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
The weight factor is a deal breaker for me when it comes to e-bikes.  Also, for someone just getting into mtn biking, it seems that starting off with an e-bike will only prevent the newbie from graduating to a traditional mtn bike in that they will grow accustomed to having the electric motor to get them up the hills & thru the trail & the end result will be that they get stuck in a rut when it comes to building up their fitness level.  Traditional pedal-only bikes will require more effort than if they didn't start off e-biking which is self-defeating.   

Off the topic...anybody here ever listen to Buckethead?  I just discovered his genius & am no longer interested in mainstream music.

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Print