Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic New wheels or fork? (Read 653 times)
DK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

New wheels or fork?
08/11/17 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
I've got the upgrade bug and know at some point I will do both, but would like to hear opinions on which to do first, wheels or fork.  My Tallboy came equipped with the 2016 version of the Fox 32 performance fork and Easton AR24 wheels mated to SRAM hubs.  My plan is to upgrade to a Fox 34 Factory fork (or possibly Pike) and also replace the wheels with Stans Arch Mk 3(probably but not set on them) mated to Hope Pro 4 hubs.  I don't have the funds to do both together so need to pick one first and I'm torn.   

I'm not sure which would make the most impact.  I want to replace the fork since it's a bit more flexy in the hard stuff than I want and not quite as supple on the smoother stuff.  As far as the wheels, I don't have an issue with my current rims other than it would be nice to have them a little wider, but the hubs are killing me.  The stock SRAM hub has about an 18 degree engagement increment and I want to improve that.   

For those that have done both types of upgrades what did you feel made the most improvement?  Regardless of which brands you upgraded to/from which do you think is the best choice to do first?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Re: New wheels or fork?
Reply #1 - 08/11/17 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I can tell you that the Fox32 is a wet noodle compared to the Fox36 or the Pike.  I don't know anything about the Fox34 other than to say... I'd go with the 36mm over it.
The wife's bike has a 140mm Pike... it's really really nice fork... very plush and takes a beating well.

Fox should have never ever made a 32mm with more than 100mm of travel.
« Last Edit: 08/11/17 at 7:00pm by ChosenOne »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Sandman
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 08/12/17 at 1:20am
Print Post  
I would go fork first. Love my Pike. Have ridden Lyrik and Fox 36 and would not go back to 32 mm.

"I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

-John Muir

rob1035
Big Ring

1 speed: SLOW!

Reply #3 - 08/12/17 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Wheels.  Always wheels.

Rob M.

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 08/12/17 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
If flex is a concern, the Flow MK3  seems like a better wheel choice?

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

Tinkertown
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 08/18/17 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I had a 2012 Tallboy specced with a Recon (120mm) and some 21mm XC hoops.

Upgraded my wheels to a pair of 2016 CrossMax XL 29 (I think it's called the CrossMax XL Pro in 2016/2017) and felt those things definitely hold a line. 

However, during more aggressive riding, the fork still flexed like mad and basically pointed the stiff wheels in the direction I did NOT want to be going in.

I'm ~240lbs kitted up. If you're anywhere north of 200, I'd go for a stiff fork first. Rode a buddy's Fox 34 and it felt fine at 140mm. Pike should be same if not better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print