Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) SRAM or Shimano? (Read 2497 times)
IntheBush
Big Ring

SRAM or Shimano?
08/28/17 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
For 11 speed drive train.

That is the question.

Been hearing a lot of differing opinions. Is it worth upgrading to XD driver for SRAM higher end stuff, or is XT and XTR combo better (shift, durability, etc..)?

I know currently the SRAM stuff gives a higher ratio and is a little lighter at the higher end. But I understand Shimano is getting ready to release 11-46 cassette. Not sure I need the grannies and the additional weight. 

For those running one or the other or that have used both, any regrets or cons you can think of that might make you make a different choice next time?
« Last Edit: 08/28/17 at 11:54pm by IntheBush »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: SRAM or Shimano?
Reply #1 - 08/29/17 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Sram shifts are more fun than Shimano...they feel more like a robot is inside...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 08/29/17 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Anybody running an XD driven Sram cassette, with a Shimano derailleur/shifter?

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 08/29/17 at 1:29am
Print Post  
I currently have an 11 speed GX drivetrain on one bike and a 10 speed XT on the other.  The XT shifts much quicker and can shift up twice in one pull.  The clutch system is okay.  I've dropped my chain a few times with the XT, but none with the GX so far.  The GX is also on a hard tail, while the XT is on a full suspension so take that for what it's worth.

The GX is only about a year old and the XT is going on 2 years, so that might be the cause for the clutch not working as well?  If I was building a new bike I'd probably lean towards the XT since the shifting is much more crisp.  Compare the XT to X0 or XX1 and it would probably be a different story.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 08/29/17 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Anybody using a Sram grip shifter?

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 08/29/17 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/29/17 at 1:07am:

Yes, OohoO has been running xx1 Cassette and chain with XTR shifter and derailleur for a long time now. Seems to work just fine.

IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 08/29/17 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/29/17 at 1:07am:

I am about to.  Just waiting on finding one last part, a iSpecII 11sp shifter.  Have all the other components to start my swap from SRAM on and XD drive and cassette.  Heard it works well in another chain.

I have been pro back to Shimano.  Hate their proprietary crap, but am sold on the quality.  Ive been running Shimano XTR for longer than I care to admit.  This year i decided to "try something different" and went with a XT comprable SRAM.   

I have been hating it ever since.  Brakes were a "different" feel, and ended up failing in about 3 months with a lot of other forums noticing same problem.  I have had XTRs that have never been serviced aside from inspecting, keeping clean and swaping out pads...  I have to say I like the SRAM shift, but its my first 1x11 coming from 1x10, and it could be just that.  Looking forward to how the Shimano will shift the new 1x11 ratios.  And really looking forward to the ability to shift with my index finger again.  Didnt like the thumb for both up and down.  (personal preference of course.) ;]

IP Logged

The Duckster
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 08/29/17 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I started with a SRAM NX 11 speed setup and switched to an XTR Shifter/XT Derailleur setup and it is sooooo much better, but that is just my opinion.

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 08/29/17 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Like others have posted, I too find the Shimano stuff to be more crisp.  I do also like the fact though that SRAM will allow multiple shifts with one effort.  I am not impressed w/ their brakes both from my personal experience and the horror stories on the interwebs.  Though I would run them if they came with a bike I purchased I would swap out sram brakes asap at the first sign of problems.  Both do the job.  It comes down to preference.  I've owned both shifter brands and would run either without concern.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 08/29/17 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Yep, I'm with you on the brakes. I had a 1st gen set of guide r's and hated them. Then was subsequently told they had a problem. No s.... SLX replaced them and have been happy ever since.

I hear Shimano is coming out with an 11 - 46 cassette.

Sounds interesting if you're running a 1x and do the mountain thing regularly.

Can't find it anywhere, yet. But for me the weight's a disadvantage as little as the dinner plate will get used.

The higher end Sram stuff is lighter and I don't have a problem with the way it shifts. But only having used an NX cassette (Shimano 10 speed compatible), with a GX derailleur it's hard to get the full feel of the difference.

For me the problem is all my other bikes are XT equipped. Sometimes when I jump on the Sram drive train bike I find my index finger up there reaching for air. And some in the industry are vehemently opposed to one or the other  Smiley

Interesting to note a lot of the higher end bikes use Sram stuff. So other than personal preference, I'm a little confused about the issues between the two drivetrains rather than just the ergonomics. Specifically Sram cassettes that use an XD driver.

Either way, this stuff's expensive. Hopin' to get it right the first time. Better to ask a few more questions and get a few more opinions now.
« Last Edit: 08/29/17 at 2:46pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 08/29/17 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/29/17 at 2:42pm:

I hear Shimano is coming out with an 11 - 46 cassette.

They have had this for a while... It is currently available at XT and SLX level.  Only issue is it looks a little weird because its more of a bailout gear (or two) thrown on their regular 11-40/42 cassette.

FWIW, I have ridden both Shimano and Sram drivetrains and don't really have a preference. They both make some good stuff. I will say, I think Shimano has a stronger clutch, but being able to lock the derailleur cage open on SRAM when removing/installing rear wheel or chain is pretty handy. 

For brakes, I currently prefer Guides for their modulation, knowing full well they are more of a pain in the ass to keep working properly. It is a trade off I am willing to make. Just waiting for those 4 piston Shimano XTs to get reviewed... If I could get the modulation of a Guide with the reliability of a Simano...  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 08/29/17 at 5:44pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #11 - 08/30/17 at 12:06am
Print Post  
What's funny is, Sram's new 12 speed GX eagle weighs nearly twice as much as their higher end 1x11 cassettes..

Yeah you got a lower gear or two, but at these weights you're almost better off with a 2x on the front.

My Guide r's had a bad piston or something on the rear lever. Nothing could get it right. Out of the box almost half take up on the lever before the pads made contact.
I just gave up and upgraded to SLX.  Cheesy

The modulation of a Guide with the reliability of Shimano? Too pricey for my tastes at the moment, but ever heard of Hope?

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #12 - 08/30/17 at 1:58am
Print Post  
BudLeach wrote on 08/29/17 at 12:47pm:

Yes, OohoO has been running xx1 Cassette and chain with XTR shifter and derailleur for a long time now. Seems to work just fine.

I run 11 speed xtr mid-cage derailleur/shifter and XX1 cassette and chain. Shifts great and is the lightest total weight 11 speed combination.  It's personal preference of course, but I prefer the stronger (and adjustable) Shimano clutch.  I also like the double down shifts on the Shimano shifters. Just me though, they all work fine together as long as you don't use a different brand shifter and derailleur due to the diff ratios.
« Last Edit: 08/30/17 at 2:02am by OoHoO »  

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 08/30/17 at 3:04am
Print Post  
my MTB crap is old... nothing newer than 2012 or 2013.  I love SRAM shifters and derailleurs.  Cranks are RaceFace or SRAM.  I despise most hydraulic breaks other then Hope.  I live with what I can afford.
I love SRAM for MTB bike stuffs.

Shimano makes fantastic fishing reels.  I have several saltwater reels that I have had for more than ten years.   

Enter my new love... 

Gravelly road bike...  has Shimano 105 2x11spd w/ hydraulics.  efing nice setup... would have preferred the SRAM 1x11 apex or better but...  have to say I like this setup so far.  except for a weird skip shift going from the 4th or 5th easiest to the 3rd or 4th easiest cog.  Brakes are really nice for the component group compared to what you'd get in the equivalent MTB price point group set.

So... for those still paying attention... 

SRAM for MTB
Shimano for fishing reels and gravelly road bikes

IP Logged

schnebit
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 08/30/17 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Shimano shifters and derailleur all the way.... light action with the xtr and XT shifters are great. I honestly like the SRAM stuff but I have  smaller hands and short thumbs so the shifters don't feel great for me ....I feel I have to reach too far to push with my thumbs for both upshifts and down shifts.  As far as brakes I can only use Shimano Xtr race 9000  due to the non servo wave. They have more modulation and feel great. I have a set of XT m8000 on my heckler but I do not like the way they are on off stops. They will be replaced soon with XTR.

I'm too old for the big ring. That's why I only have one

IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 08/30/17 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/29/17 at 2:42pm:
Interesting to note a lot of the higher end bikes use Sram stuff.

I noticed this too, and is exactly why I decided to finally try something new.  Thought if most of the high end I was seeing had it, was I missing something being on Shimano so long?  Give the other guys a shot...

I was wrong...  (or at least for my individual preference)

Maybe SRAM has a better vendor relationship or price point with bike builders and vendors that stuck up proprietary Shimano doesnt?  Cant say, but I can say it will be many years before I deviate from Shimano again.

I do notice SRAM starting the proprietary move too.  The afore mentioned XD drive and matchmaker and such.  Havent looked at the XD piece farther than to know im stuck with SRAM cassette for a while because of it in my swap...  

Glad the folks here helped me in knowing the SRAM cassette will work with my conversion back without having to go down that road too and in addition to all the other stuff I had to buy...  (Still looking for a SRAM bar mount or XTR iSpecII shifter so I can back on my bike this weekend in another post) ;] (So I can temporarily use my existing SRAM shifter with new XTR brakes!)  SO looking forward to it...

I hope all this info and individual perspectives are helping you reach the decision that is right for you.
« Last Edit: 08/30/17 at 5:07pm by INTENSEcretAgent »  

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #16 - 09/01/17 at 12:49am
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 08/28/17 at 11:52pm:
For 11 speed drive train.

That is the question.

Been hearing a lot of differing opinions. Is it worth upgrading to XD driver for SRAM higher end stuff, or is XT and XTR combo better (shift, durability, etc..)?

I know currently the SRAM stuff gives a higher ratio and is a little lighter at the higher end. But I understand Shimano is getting ready to release 11-46 cassette. Not sure I need the grannies and the additional weight. 

For those running one or the other or that have used both, any regrets or cons you can think of that might make you make a different choice next time?

It's actually been out for awhile. Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #17 - 09/01/17 at 1:58am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 09/01/17 at 12:49am:

It's actually been out for awhile. Wink

XTR? 

Where?

Oh, you're talking about the XT 11-46 at 439 grams? 

Grin

I guess I'm officially a weight weenie now.

On a side note, I was in a bike shop the other day (I wont mention which one) and a guy was trying to sell me a XTR 11-40 cassette and a 46t conversion kit for $400.  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 09/01/17 at 2:20am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 09/01/17 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 09/01/17 at 1:58am:

XTR? 

Where?

Oh, you're talking about the XT 11-46 at 439 grams? 

Grin

I guess I'm officially a weight weenie now.

If that is the case, you may as well make the jump to XD freehub and SRAM or E*13 cassette. The XD driver body just allows for a much lighter cassette design, albeit much more expensive to produce. 

It all depends on your priorities:

If low weight trumps low cost, go XD driver and SRAM / E*13 cassette.
If the budget is limited go with Shimano.

For shifter and derailleur, it is just a matter of preference. Although when talking about 11 speed I do believe Shimano XTR is lighter.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #19 - 09/01/17 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
BudLeach wrote on 09/01/17 at 1:22pm:

If that is the case, you may as well make the jump to XD freehub and SRAM or E*13 cassette. The XD driver body just allows for a much lighter cassette design, albeit much more expensive to produce. 

It all depends on your priorities:

If low weight trumps low cost, go XD driver and SRAM / E*13 cassette.
If the budget is limited go with Shimano.

For shifter and derailleur, it is just a matter of preference. Although when talking about 11 speed I do believe Shimano XTR is lighter.

You're correct, sram XX1 cassette is lightest 11 speed and XTR shifter/derailleur combo is lighter than SRAM's lightest 11 speed combo. The weight diff in shifter/derailleur is less than the difference in the cassette weight.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #20 - 09/01/17 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
That new E*13 cassette is pretty slick. More range than Eagle and still 11-speed for $250 and you can replace the big rings and small ones separately. When its time for a new cassette I will be getting that.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #21 - 09/01/17 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Yep, that E13 looks like the all around winner to me. Steep price as well..

Already got an 1195. I think I'll use that, and just do a few more squats a week.   

The derailleur and shifter looks more like personal preference.

Thanks for the tips. I guess you can teach an old dog, new tricks.  Smiley

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 09/05/17 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
im waiting for the rear ring to be the size of a 29" wheel, then i'll be interested.

IP Logged

mountainbiker90
Small Cog

Is it 5 yet??

Reply #23 - 09/05/17 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
A ring that big on the right side should offset the weight of the lefty, making your bike track straight.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge:)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #24 - 09/06/17 at 1:08am
Print Post  
If I can't get up it with a 40 or 42 max, then I'm carrying the bike..

But come to think of it, that's the same thing we said about aluminum bikes back in the day.

You just can't win with razors, smart phones and mountain bikes.

But I am curious where Sram goes from here... Anybody got any ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Print