Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) SIDEWALL SEALANT FOR TUBELESS (Read 1726 times)
Marlingreen
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

SIDEWALL SEALANT FOR TUBELESS
09/06/17 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
How many of you had to like...super seal both of your sidewalls on your tubeless tire? Dang, some folks shouldn't make tubeless tires...especially when the customer has to wait for days and days in hopes that the sealant will hopefully seal a porous sidewall of a brand new tire. I am sure tire has to be defective one way or another. If every tubeless ready tire had porous sidewalls I can understand but the many tires I've had...put it on...throw sealant in and you are golden to ride. Watch out for Specialized Purgatory Control 2bliss...maybe it was just my set but it's been a night mare. Still hoping I'll be able to use it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: SIDEWALL SEALANT FOR TUBELESS
Reply #1 - 09/06/17 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Could be an old tire?... That rubber breaks down and Ive had really old tires ooze sealant direct through sidewall. This was after a lot of hard use though.

Usually it takes a while for this to happen and even then I dont think I'd lose but a few drops of sealant. Its never compromised the seal before and I would only need to add a few PSI to the tire before riding.

I'm a diehard Maxxis guy so I cant speak for Specialized tires and they're oozing sealant...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FredRubble
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 09/06/17 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
My bet is that air is coming out from somewhere else...Sidewalls will weep sealant but they seal up fast....

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 09/06/17 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Been running specialized/sworks tires for years, can't say I've had any issues with sealing.

IP Logged

Marlingreen
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 09/06/17 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
This is a major leak...but it seems to be getting a little better after keep spinning wheel and laying on its sides. Must just be a defective tire. It was bad to begin with. So many holes on both sides and sealant was doing its job but that was one too many holes....crazy. I'm sure it was a bad tire...just didn't expect to have to wait so long for the sides to seal up. Probably another 2 days and it should be solid. Just didn't expect it to weep bad. As long as it is starting to seal I'm okay.

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 09/07/17 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I've seen multiple sets of Purgatories that do this.  I had a set of 2.3's on my Nomad and they would constantly sweat through the sidewall.  My brother currently has a set of 3.0's on his plus bike with the same issues.  Thin sidewalls seem to be the culprit, especially after a season of riding and the cords start showing through.  Orange Seal seemed to work a little better than Stans in the 3.0's.  I've ditched the Purgatories for Ardents on my Nomad and haven't looked back.

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 09/07/17 at 11:50am
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Flex_Seal.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #7 - 09/07/17 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I have used mainly specialized and sworks for years and never had problems that bad, a little sealing at the beginning, but only one nights worth like most tires, sounds like a bad batch.

Now continentals....that's a different story....I haven't ever had a set of continental tires that didn't continuously bleed through the sidewalls.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #8 - 09/07/17 at 5:59pm
Print Post  

Would ya buy a used ( insert what ever merchandise) from this guy?

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 09/07/17 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
ShockedGood 1 Tom!

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

Marlingreen
Coaster Bike

Reply #10 - 09/08/17 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Definitely a bad tire  for sure. It's had sealant for about 4 days now and has been on its side at least 16 hours total on each side and still have pinhole leak on sidewall. has gotten better but not holding air. Guess if all fails throw in a tube or get some contact cement and paint the entire inside sidewalls..lol. Such a waste of tire...knob pattern and grip is great...just stupid sidewalls failing.

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #11 - 09/08/17 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Have you tried riding it around the hood for about 10 mins. It can really do wonders for leaky beads.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 09/09/17 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
I've had Specialized Slaughter, Butcher, and Ground Control. All have sweated sealant on the sidewall and sometimes it was profusely . It looks bad but tire pressure holds. The only time I had a problem with what I thought was the tire not sealing turned out to be the valve stem not completely sealing with the rim.  <insert unpaid promotion for Cycle Path>

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #13 - 09/10/17 at 1:33am
Print Post  
If you have problems with valves sealing, get a small tube of gasket maker from the auto parts store.

Place a small bead around the rubber seal on the valve (between the valve gasket and the inside of the rim). Screw the valve on lightly. Let set 1 hour, then tighten the valve nut normally. Then mount the tire as usual.

IP Logged

Marlingreen
Coaster Bike

Reply #14 - 09/11/17 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
while it was a bad tire ...after a week the sidewalls finally sealed good enough to hold air. will have to monitor but was able to get on the trail and so far so good. just would not recommend if you want to ride ASAP. Again, probably just a bad tire. hope the sidewalls will last as long as the knobs  Grin

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #15 - 09/13/17 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Something that I see a lot of people miss with Stan's sealant is how they install it.   
1.  Shake the bottle vigorously to mix it up.
2.  While holding your finger over the cap hole invert the bottle for about 10 seconds.  This allows the maximum amount of silicate in the sealant to settle down into the cap.
3.  Pour about 4 ounces for a new tire in. More for a plus size.
4.  Air up the tire and get the bead to seat then holding the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock shake the tire back and forth the rotate the tire about 1/8 of a turn and repeat.  This sloshes the sealant onto the sidewalls.
5.  Install on bike and RIDE IMMEDIATELY!

Seriously. Nothing helps spread the sealant better than riding it.

Hope that helps!

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 09/13/17 at 11:28am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print