Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lights, What do you recommend (Read 2818 times)
Big Chuck
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Lights, What do you recommend
11/30/17 at 1:27am
Print Post  
I've never ridden at night but I would like to give it a try so what light do you recommend ? Brand and model ? Bar mount, helmet mount or both?
Thanks

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"By His Grace I Ride,Ride On"
Big Chuck
IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Re: Lights, What do you recommend
Reply #1 - 11/30/17 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Depends on your objectives, but if at all possible I'd recommend a helmet light and a bar mount light.  I like a more compact light with remote battery for the helmet so I can just stuff the battery in the jersey pocket, then run the more powerful (and usually heavier) light on the bar.  I like Light & Motion and Niterider, but there are lots of quality choices now.

Some shops rent lights.  If you are unsure if you want to commit to doing much night riding you may want to go that route.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Deo Volente
IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #2 - 11/30/17 at 2:19am
Print Post  
I have a set of Dinotte lights that I really like.  I believe the helmet light is 800 lumens and the bar light is 1200.  One charger for both, 2 to 2.5 hour run time on high.  I purchased mine online at their website.  Also have 3 of the SL2K lights built locally and I use them a lot.  I don't think he's building anymore, but they are great.  Rechargeable, good for 1 to 1.5 hours at least on high but easy to take another battery in your pocket and swap out if needed.  Helmet and bar mount utilizes the same light.   
Whichever way you go, I recommend both helmet and bar for pure night riding.  Evenings into darkness, I usually just run an SL2K on the bar to get me out.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #3 - 11/30/17 at 2:57am
Print Post  
team_ssr wrote on 11/30/17 at 1:47am:
Depends on your objectives, but if at all possible I'd recommend a helmet light and a bar mount light.  I like a more compact light with remote battery for the helmet so I can just stuff the battery in the jersey pocket, then run the more powerful (and usually heavier) light on the bar.  I like Light & Motion and Niterider, but there are lots of quality choices now.

Some shops rent lights.  If you are unsure if you want to commit to doing much night riding you may want to go that route.

Agreed!
I have Niteriders that are a couple years old and work very well for me. They had different levels of intensity, and with that different lengths of battery life.
The bar light is fixed where the wheel is pointed and the helmet light allows for movement. The helmet light also fills in shadows created by the bar light. 

There are some pretty efficient LED units on the market too. 
I can take the bar light off and use it as a flashlight.

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #4 - 11/30/17 at 3:09am
Print Post  
I have a Niterider Blow Torch that is about 15 years old and it still works great. I used it last Wednesday at my step-daughter's house in Cornelius to repair leaks in her dishwasher and drain. I'm glad I had it as it is very dark under the cabinet.

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 11/30/17 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I got one of the SL2K lights from Kevin Barker a couple years ago which I bar mount and then have a Bontrager ION700 which I helmet mount.  Almost light riding in daylight

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 11/30/17 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Bar and helmet are in my opinion a requirement.  How bright should you go?  Depends how fast you wanna go, how technical your terrain is, and how LONG you wanna ride.  My 600 lumen helmet light and 400 bar mount are perfectly fine for North Meck, but If I was riding somewhere like Fisher, WWC, or RRT I would want more light to see further down the trail.  Also the two I have only have a life span of about 1hr at max setting.  Looking into getting an external battery pack helmet light to get more ride time/lumens.
« Last Edit: 11/30/17 at 3:20pm by flynbryan19 »  

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 11/30/17 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
NiteRider Lumina 900 on helmet and bar.  It has several intensity settings up to 900 lumens, but I am fine at the lowest setting which I think is 400 lumens.  I haven't tested the battery to failure time but it has successfully powered a 2.5 hour ride so far.

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #8 - 11/30/17 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Shart Light 2000!!

Anyone who has one of those knows whats up...

KBark where are you!?!?!

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jonesn
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 11/30/17 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 11/30/17 at 8:20pm:
Shart Light 2000!!

Anyone who has one of those knows whats up...

KBark where are you!?!?!

Yep Pretty Damn GOOD light for the Bucks!!! +100 set the woods on fire!

Former Owner - Metro Cycle Messenger  Service in Downtown Charlotte N.C. (1997 - 2005) R.I.P.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #10 - 12/04/17 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Niteriders are getting pretty cheap for higher powers now, make sure and check for sales at REI and other places they run pretty frequent 25% off sales.  I would run a bar and helmet, but just a helmet is doable. 2 of the higher power (700-1100) niterider luminas and you would be well off. You will be able to ride them for a few hrs at a time on 1 click from max until you get into the higher speed stuff and flip to max.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

BingleDerry

Reply #11 - 12/04/17 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
This may be a foopoo but I've ran some of those cheap Chinese lights available from Amazon or aliexpress to see if I liked night riding. They're plenty of bright but running two is still not nearly as bright as one niterider. Used for 3 seasons now, and they still work, I may have $70 in them and  I've got 3 sets.

No hesitation to ride Steves, just take extra battery and ride with a friend.

IP Logged

Giantt2rider

Reply #12 - 12/05/17 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I picked up a nightrider 1100 for $75. I run it on my helmet. It is much better than the cheap Chinese one I got a couple of years ago. I run it by itself without the bar light and can see great. I do have an old solo 300 on the bars in case the nightrider happens to die. It hasn’t happened yet.

IP Logged

Tyler L

Reply #13 - 12/14/17 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Like others have said the faster you want to go the brighter you need.  I ride with a 800 L lights in motion on my helmet running on low so around 350l. And a cateye volt 6000 on bars but I also run it on low. 2000L. Most of our rides are 2-3 hours plus stop time. So I need to run them on low so the battery’s last the entire ride. So that being said keep run time in mind and at what lumen when buying.  Also two lights is a must because if you only have one and it fails what then???

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 01/24/18 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I have an official brand name lenzyne 1100 as a bar and a $20 chinese shenkey helmet mount that I currently run.  I honestly wouldn't hesitate to do two of the shenkeys as long as you get the new model one.  I had the bright eyes chinese knockoffs that required the external battery and upgrading was the best thing I've done.

I think we both ride with "Brad" - you're more than welcome to check it out one evening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print