Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Carbon frames (Read 2919 times)
ChosenOne
Little Ring

Carbon frames
01/30/18 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Why are carbon frames still generally more expensive than alloy or steel these days?

Carbon has been around for quite a long time... it's generally been proven reliable for mass production and deployment.
Is there something inherent in the manufacturing process that requires more human intervention than with steel or alloy?   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Re: Carbon frames
Reply #1 - 01/30/18 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Metals are cheaper than the raw materials for carbon fiber and there are still more human hands needed during the building of carbon frames. Where a machine by itself can cut, bend and weld metal tubing with much less human interaction.

A good vid below of the process.  It shows many steps of lay up by hand and I also heard the moulds are very expensive also.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 01/30/18 at 11:40am
Print Post  
there are lower priced carbon out there. Check on ebay and such. Like the people who defend those frames and bikes. They always say there made at the same factories as the bigger bike brands. Companies like Raleigh, Fuji ,Diamondback, and GT are  also some of the lower cost bikes from Chinese factories. I think these factories may catalog the frames they produce on their own. Then the other companies will purchase that line to add to their own. So such companies don't really have a R & D  department. The larger companies maybe contract the factories to build based on their specs. I don't know if that's how it all works, but it's an educated guess 
Sad

GTalk  
IP Logged

AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 01/30/18 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I do have the itch to build a lightweight "Tideace" Chinese Carbon framed hardtail.

Unfortunately even with a $300 frame, add in a $600 set of stans wheels, drivetrain, brakes, seat, bars, fork etc. I'll be at somewhere around $1,500.  Until then I'll just borrow my sons bike when he's not looking.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 01/30/18 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
If you make it a singlespeed its even cheaper Wink
start with take offs in the parts bin and you can get pretty far
$175 frame used
$300 stans ss wheelset
$40 worth of spraypaint and masking tape
« Last Edit: 01/30/18 at 5:52pm by pearl »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #5 - 01/30/18 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Didnt yall know carbon bikes are destroying the planet!!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves...

« Last Edit: 01/30/18 at 6:16pm by Banjopickin »  

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 01/30/18 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
aluminum? you meant peasant metal?

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 01/30/18 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
OoHoO wrote on 01/30/18 at 4:33am:
Metals are cheaper than the raw materials for carbon fiber and there are still more human hands needed during the building of carbon frames. Where a machine by itself can cut, bend and weld metal tubing with much less human interaction.

A good vid below of the process.  It shows many steps of lay up by hand and I also heard the moulds are very expensive also.

It this the case really?  pulling raw material from the earth and turning it into Steel or Alloy isn't really an inexpensive process.  Carbon is abundant.  A lot of the human stuffs in that video could certainly be automated by machine w/ little impact on quality.

I get when carbon fiber was exotic the price was high... but these days it is ubiquitous in the bicycle industry.  It should be cheaper and driving the price of steel and alloy frames down as well.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #8 - 01/30/18 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 01/30/18 at 10:20pm:

It this the case really?  pulling raw material from the earth and turning it into Steel or Alloy isn't really an inexpensive process.  Carbon is abundant.  A lot of the human stuffs in that video could certainly be automated by machine w/ little impact on quality.

I get when carbon fiber was exotic the price was high... but these days it is ubiquitous in the bicycle industry.  It should be cheaper and driving the price of steel and alloy frames down as well.

Not all carbon is created equal... There is a reason Santa Cruz or Intense frames are so $$$ and cheap-o China knock-off bikes are cheap. Granted some of that is marketing, etc. but I wouldn't trust my teeth to a $150 carbon hardtail frame... No sir!  Lips Sealed

Also... Steel and Alloy can be recycled which helps keep prices down. Carbon cannot and is usually dumped into the ocean (true story)...
« Last Edit: 01/30/18 at 10:43pm by Banjopickin »  

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #9 - 01/30/18 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 01/30/18 at 10:20pm:

A lot of the human stuffs in that video could certainly be automated by machine w/ little impact on quality.

That's what I was always thinking too! Perhaps because each frame layup is so distinct, the investment in a machine that could handle all of the possible needs would be far too expensive of a capital investment for any company.  I don't dare to say what could or couldn't be done as I have never tried to build a carbon fiber frame.

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 01/30/18 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 01/30/18 at 5:52pm:
If you make it a singlespeed its even cheaper Wink
start with take offs in the parts bin and you can get pretty far
$175 frame used
$300 stans ss wheelset
$40 worth of spraypaint and masking tape

Too cool.

What are you doing in place of a chain tensioner?

My latest creation. It's solid. Price too low to mention. I had the wheel set and the fork already.

« Last Edit: 01/31/18 at 12:00am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #11 - 01/31/18 at 1:46am
Print Post  
It’s a bb30 frame so I’m using an origin8 ebb. I think i got it all sorted out now!

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #12 - 01/31/18 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I really do not know how the cost of the raw materials and labor hours compares between carbon fiber, and aluminium/steel frame manufacturing, but I can see how building with carbon fiber can be a more expensive endeavor. The molds are very complex and take a lot of time to make. 

Of course, hydroforming aluminum tubes also requires molds, but the molds can be smaller and simpler since each mold is only for one tube. This means less time to make each mold, and less expense if a mold is damaged and needs to be scrapped. Also think of the time it takes to make one component with each type of process. A hydroforming process can crank out well over a hundred tubes a day from a single mold. In carbon layup, that super expensive mold is tied up making one single frame section from the start of layup all the way to the end of cool down after the curing process. This means more molds are required to achieve an acceptable production volume. 

Also, welding tubes together is a much more flexible process. Want to tweak next years frame geo? They might not even need to create new hydroforming molds, just trim the tubes at a different length / angle. Welding robots can be re-programmed. Welding humans can adapt instantly! With carbon, the geo is literally set in billet steel. 

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 02/01/18 at 1:00am
Print Post  
So it's not necessarily the material costs.. but the manufacturing retooling expenses that is keeping bicycle frame prices high?   

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #14 - 02/01/18 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 02/01/18 at 1:00am:
So it's not necessarily the material costs.. but the manufacturing retooling expenses that is keeping bicycle frame prices high?  

Bingo.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #15 - 02/01/18 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 02/01/18 at 4:58pm:

Bingo.

Seems like they would never get a return on that investment as quickly as they change frame geometry.  Just about the time you have paid for the capital expense it's time for a new investment.  Circular.

Things change too fast for prices to react lower.  It sickens me to look at the price of a comparable bike to what I already own.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 02/01/18 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
my dream bike is still titanium . I seems the heat in the south would change the characteristics of a carbon frame. Probably not, but it just seems that way. Is carbon some sort of plastic?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 02/01/18 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 02/01/18 at 5:25pm:

Seems like they would never get a return on that investment as quickly as they change frame geometry.  Just about the time you have paid for the capital expense it's time for a new investment.  Circular.

Things change too fast for prices to react lower.  It sickens me to look at the price of a comparable bike to what I already own. 

Thank me later

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #18 - 02/01/18 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 02/01/18 at 5:31pm:
my dream bike is still titanium . I seems the heat in the south would change the characteristics of a carbon frame. Probably not, but it just seems that way. Is carbon some sort of plastic?

Space plastic 

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #19 - 02/01/18 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
As far as a return on the investment... You have to understand that the major brands are freaking massive in terms of scale and the number of bikes they make a year...

For the big guys like Spec., Trek, Giant, etc. they own their own factories so costs are kept low. They also have a HUGE product line where many frames see very little change and they can afford to spend $ to update premium models to stay relevant. 

Brands like Santa Cruz, etc are owned by massive corporations (Pon Holdings) which help offset costs and keep them relevant. Santa Cruz is less than 1% of Pon's budget I bet... its massive.

Other brands use Open Mold designs that are cheaper to purchase too and they can simply pick the newest Open Mold design or pay a small amount to "tweak" it to their needs.

Check this out.... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This video gives some cool insight into what goes into making a bike brand. I found it to be super informative...

« Last Edit: 02/02/18 at 1:21pm by Banjopickin »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print