Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Carbon Frame Inserts (Read 441 times)
campbesl

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Carbon Frame Inserts
02/15/18 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I rode Col. Beatty this afternoon and noticed that my water bottle was wiggling back and forth. I stopped to tighten the mounting screws but they were firm in the inserts. After my ride I removed the cage and sure enough, the inserts were loose in the carbon frame. So frame experts; duct tape, super glue or loss of use of this mounting location?   

Is there a reliable repair for this problem?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Re: Carbon Frame Inserts
Reply #1 - 02/15/18 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
They are basically thread inserts. Sometimes you can take a thread setter tool and reset them. You may have to drill them out and start over. Worst case scenario they have wobbled the carbon out too much, but usually a new thread insert will do it...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

renoirbud
Small Cog

Re: Carbon Frame Inserts
Reply #2 - 02/26/18 at 12:57am
Print Post  
It depends on the frame maker.

Some frames glue in the threaded insert after the carbon frame is completely built.  If that is the case, you can just get two part epoxy and glue it back in.  Just keep the threads clean.

E-Bikes = Trail Closures

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print