Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Uphill Rider has the Right-A-Way- Trail Etiquette (Read 6212 times)
ChosenOne
Little Ring

Re: Uphill Rider has the Right-A-Way- Trail Etiquette
Reply #20 - 03/07/18 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Banjopickin wrote on 03/07/18 at 5:21pm:
Just use common sense...

Most places the trails are wide enough to safely pass without stopping. Both uphill and downhill ridrers slow down a bit and move over and everyone's happy.

The only exception is hikers and horses. Hikers usually move over and I always say a friendly "hello" or "thanks" or "have a great day". It sucks getting buzzed by a bike going 30mph downhill on a narrow trail so be kind and check the speed.

If you see horses just stop completely and ask the rider what they want you to do. Some horses dont care others will freak the hell out when they see a bike. It can be super dangerous for both parties when horses start get weird...

All the above is true...  Highlighted more so.  My mother is a horse owner/rider. She had an encounter on a multi-use trail w/ a Mt Biker.  The horse spooked... and she fell off over the front shoulder of the horse and then got stepped on by the spooked horse. She almost lost her leg as a result.
Horse folks are a weird bunch of entitled people... some with little to NO real control over the animal so keep this in mind when riding multi-use trails that allow horses AND Mt Bikers on the same trail at the same time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/07/18 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 03/07/18 at 9:48pm:

All the above is true...  Highlighted more so.  My mother is a horse owner/rider. She had an encounter on a multi-use trail w/ a Mt Biker.  The horse spooked... and she fell off over the front shoulder of the horse and then got stepped on by the spooked horse. She almost lost her leg as a result.
Horse folks are a weird bunch of entitled people... some with little to NO real control over the animal so keep this in mind when riding multi-use trails that allow horses AND Mt Bikers on the same trail at the same time.

That's a hell of a way to talk about your own mother  Angry

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #22 - 03/07/18 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That's a hell of a way to talk about your own mother  Angry

huh?

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 03/07/18 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you see horses just stop completely and ask the rider what they want you to do. Some horses dont care others will freak the hell out when they see a bike. It can be super dangerous for both parties when horses start get weird...

+1

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #24 - 03/08/18 at 12:27am
Print Post  
But can I ride both directions on WWC Thread trail still?

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #25 - 03/08/18 at 12:42am
Print Post  
In most cases for me it is the uphill rider that stops simply because there is basically no way the downhill rider sees the other soon enough to be able to stop.  No big deal for me, although honestly it is cool when some type of hello or communication is passed along.
« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 12:43am by zino »  

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #26 - 03/08/18 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Harry Balsagna wrote on 03/08/18 at 12:27am:
But can I ride both directions on WWC Thread trail still?

You can... but you probably shouldn't.

I really miss the old two way trail... on my best day I could run both directions out and back in under 20 min. It was a fast fast trail.  Only once in the many years of riding that trail did I have a close call where an opposing direction rider cut hard left across the trail 3 feet in front of me.  Luckily I was on the way out moving fast uphill on the section right before the power line cut over.  I didn't hit him... but it was close. 

Aside from that incident every other two way rider interaction happened almost exactly as I describe in the post above... both riders yield the center and left hand side of the trail and continue on their merry way.

People w/ dogs... riders or walkers... are my nemesis.  Put your efing dog on a leash.  I will not intentionally run over a dog... but I will not risk injury to myself by swerving to avoid someone's unleashed dog... it gets run over.
« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 12:50am by ChosenOne »  

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #27 - 03/08/18 at 12:55am
Print Post  
zino wrote on 03/08/18 at 12:42am:
In most cases for me it is the uphill rider that stops simply because there is basically no way the downhill rider sees the other soon enough to be able to stop.  No big deal for me, although honestly it is cool when some type of hello or communication is passed along.

Every single person I pass... rider, walker, baby carriage pusher or dog walker... I thank them for yielding the trail an tell them to enjoy their walk, ride or whatever.  I am always extremely polite to others that I happen across on the trail.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #28 - 03/08/18 at 3:06am
Print Post  
If you're not seeing uphill riders soon enough on a two way trail, you are either..

1. Traveling too fast for conditions.

2. Not keeping your head up and your eyes moving (staring at the trail in front of your bike, see #1).

Best to knock it down a notch or two on two way trails.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #29 - 03/08/18 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 03/08/18 at 3:06am:
If you're not seeing uphill riders soon enough on a two way trail, you are either..

1. Traveling too fast for conditions.

2. Not keeping your head up and your eyes moving (staring at the trail in front of your bike, see #1).

Best to knock it down a notch or two on two way trails.

Thanks Dad....   Roll Eyes

I saw him... the dip$hit cut across the trail in front of me.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #30 - 03/08/18 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Practically every rider I've almost collided with was riding too fast for the trail conditions and their eyes were staring right in front of their front wheel.

Therefore, they did not know I was there until it became too late for them to brake under control. Of course, I try to look out for these kinds of legends and stay out of their way. 

Seems simple enough for me. Two way multi-use trail, limited visibility, extra caution. Expect the unexpected, could be a 5 year old. Perhaps it's not for everybody.

I can say that if they damage me or my bike, my reaction will not be positive. I guess everybody's gotta learn. Some harder than others.

As for pedestrians, it's a different problem. I've often wondered why at a trail like Springs, with the sheer number of pedestrian only trails, why a hiker or a dog walker would choose the mountain bike trail. Especially a small woman with a large dog that's unruly or uninitiated.
« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 2:50pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #31 - 03/08/18 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Another Useful Tip!

When riding on woodsy descents where there isnt good line of sight and two way traffic is common, its a good idea to yell loudly or shout gibberish while descending. 

It sounds dumb and will sound dumb when you're doing it but I have prevented at least a dozen head on collisions with riders, hikers, and horses here in Pisgah doing this.

Trails like Squirrel, Fletcher Cr., Bennet Gap, Butter/Cat, etc. all have blind high speed sections and the more noise you make the faster you can go and the safer you are. 

My go to is "Rider coming down!!" or " Rider, Rider, Rider!"

Not so much a problem in Charlotte but I am sure it wont hurt to do it.

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #32 - 03/08/18 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Good tip.

I whistle in the case of low forward visibility on two way single track trails around Charlotte.

Yes, I sound like an idiot. But if it prevents one crash then it's worth it.

When I yell it's usually because a collision is imminent and the rider coming towards me isn't looking forward. They have their head down staring at their line.

Sort of ironic, the faster you go, the more you need to keep your head down scanning the trail directly in front of you. I'm being facetious.
« Last Edit: 03/08/18 at 3:02pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

sager
Big Ring

Waiting for my next ride!

Reply #33 - 03/08/18 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 03/08/18 at 2:34pm:
riding too fast for the trail conditions

I don't understand this concept.  I've never felt like trail conditions force me to slow down.  Now I can get on board with the whistling or calling out, but not sure about the slowing down part.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #34 - 03/09/18 at 1:44am
Print Post  
sager wrote on 03/08/18 at 5:39pm:

I don't understand this concept.  I've never felt like trail conditions force me to slow down.  Now I can get on board with the whistling or calling out, but not sure about the slowing down part.

I take it you're being facetious. But I'll explain anyway for those that might benefit from not having a lengthy injury recovery or lawsuit from some other trail user.  Smiley

The concept is very simple.

If the completely unexpected happens around the next bend, can you avoid hitting hit and/or avoid injuring yourself or others.

In the winter it's easier because there's more visibility. In the summer trail visibility declines. Trail moisture content and traction also play a factor.

Certainly many trails where I could go faster downhill if;

A. It was unidirectional
B. It was a closed off course (aka racing)
C. I could afford to get hurt riding alone way back in the woods some place

I'm just not in that much of a hurry, so I'm looking out for you. A little help's always appreciated.

« Last Edit: 03/09/18 at 1:46am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #35 - 03/20/18 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Does anyone else picture in the bush as Rachel dratch?

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #36 - 03/20/18 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I understand that two-way trails are sometimes a necessity in use as connector trails, but I have never understood the point of intentionally designing an entire trail system as two directional.  You're asking for trouble.  This was always a bone of contention when riding two-way trails on OHV trail systems.  Now you wanna talk about potential for injury around blind turns!  Because of this I have always been hyper-aware when riding two-way trails on any 2/4 wheeled device.  If others do not feel the need to do the same it will only be a matter of time before Darwin teaches them a lesson...   

Keep your head up and always anticipate that someone is around the next blind corner or over top of that next hill and you will prevent 90% of your potential for injury.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #37 - 03/20/18 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Zakaraia Hermes wrote on 03/20/18 at 11:21am:
Does anyone else picture in the bush as Rachel dratch?

You mean like "Debbie Downer" Rachel Dratch?

"Mountain biking would be fun if not for everything that could go wrong." *whomp *whomp*

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #38 - 03/21/18 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Yeah, s... happens to some people. I never wonder why.  

It's why most old guys play golf, ride around in golf carts and spend their time relishing their next trip to KFC with the ol' ball and chain.  Cool
« Last Edit: 03/21/18 at 9:13am by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #39 - 03/21/18 at 1:10am
Print Post  
flynbryan19 wrote on 03/20/18 at 12:00pm:
I understand that two-way trails are sometimes a necessity in use as connector trails, but I have never understood the point of intentionally designing an entire trail system as two directional.  You're asking for trouble.  This was always a bone of contention when riding two-way trails on OHV trail systems.  Now you wanna talk about potential for injury around blind turns!  Because of this I have always been hyper-aware when riding two-way trails on any 2/4 wheeled device.  If others do not feel the need to do the same it will only be a matter of time before Darwin teaches them a lesson...  

Keep your head up and always anticipate that someone is around the next blind corner or over top of that next hill and you will prevent 90% of your potential for injury.

Because multi-use.  I'm not a hiker or equestrian and don't plan on becoming one either but everyone gets their kicks in a different way, whether that be going up or coming down the same trail a biker might view as "one-way" (down, obviously!).  Venture outside of Charlotte, or any city for that matter, and you'll realize that two-way trails are, for the most part, the rule, not the exception.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Print