Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Love Valley Roubaix Tire Selection. (Read 1143 times)
pearl
Little Ring

Love Valley Roubaix Tire Selection.
03/06/18 at 2:40am
Print Post  
I'm in a pickle for this event:

Run my Mr. Pink with 28mm tires and tubes with brakes that I feel 100% confident in,

or

Run my disc CX bike with 35mm tubeless tires with mechanical disc brakes that I'm not confident in.

I can't run tubeless on my road wheelset, so that is out the window. I can fit a 32mm on the Mr Pink which I was thinking of doing.

All the videos I've seen, the gravel seems pretty smooth. I have done gravel things on 25mm tires in the past and feel comfortable doing that. Can anyone offer me some insight on this?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Re: Love Valley Roubaix Tire Selection.
Reply #1 - 03/06/18 at 11:37am
Print Post  
a couple years back , they had graded the road a week before. And half the field was getting flat tires. And certain sections do have bigger rocks. If you use the 28's , fill the tires to full capacity. You won't  be comfortable,  but you run a lower risk o pinch flats. The ride is also notorious for foul weather, and in that case do the 35's If you can do the 32's that would be cool, but run more pressure. Or carry a bunch of extra tubes
« Last Edit: 03/06/18 at 11:39am by Impaler 58 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 03/06/18 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks, it sounds like it will really be a game time decision. Or I can just buy some 32mm tires to run on my Mr Pink and split the difference...

Granted, what is 3mm difference anyway?

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #3 - 03/06/18 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
So, I did year one on a road bike with road bike tires and gearing.  Not ideal.  It's nice to have the lower cross bike gearing and the wider tires become more of a benefit the wetter it is.

No worries about the brakes.  You can actually finish the race without having any.. :/

Deo Volente
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #4 - 03/06/18 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
ha, my road bike has lower gearing than my cx bike! 50/34 vs 46/36.

IP Logged

catsruletn
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

My bike demands rights!!

Reply #5 - 03/11/18 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I did this race last year. The roads up there turn real soupy peanut butter like when wet for whatever reason. I would suggest you pay attention online for updates on road conditions leading into the race. They usually provide updates on Facebook. I did the race on my mountain bike because I don't have a cross bike and I ended up glad I did. About half way to a third of the way through the road conditions went south and I was very glad to be on a mountain bike at that point. I passed a man and woman at the top of a climb, both of them on cross bikes. The woman looked like she was close to crying if she wasn't already. They were stopped and she was trying to decide if she could make the descent or not. Looking down the road it was indeed a soupy mess. I asked the man if they needed help and he indicated that they would figure it out and I should keep going so I did. The descent was indeed sloppy and I was fish tailing even on mtb tires. I didn't see the couple again so I'm not sure what they ended up doing. If I remember correctly I was on maxxis ikon tires. Just my opinion based on my personal experience and gravel riding abilities.
« Last Edit: 03/11/18 at 3:09pm by catsruletn »  

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #6 - 03/22/18 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Rode the race route last Saturday on Maxxis Rambler 40c's.  Seems to be a good compromise for all the surfaces.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #7 - 03/23/18 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
After the rain i decided to ride the cross bike with the 35mm happy mediums, 46/34 up front. just glad it wont be raining at the start!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print