Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) stem length (Read 1763 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

stem length
03/06/18 at 11:44am
Print Post  
So I'm sold on trying a shorter stem length. I'll be coming off a 105(have always felt stretched) what size should I go to. I was thinking 50 or 60 by what I've seen on you tube

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Re: stem length
Reply #1 - 03/06/18 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
You really need to think of total fit, not just stem length.  Head tube angle and frame design will also dictate what length stem would be needed to keep you over the pedals and not too far back which could result in not enough weight on the front end resulting in poor cornering.  .  Older frame designs usually need a longer stem whereas newer design dictates a shorter stem for correct positioning.

Best thing to do is find someone with a few cheap different size stems and try them out systematically.  Then go with the one that feels best.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 03/06/18 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Man that's a tough one.
Always great when you guess right the first time. Doesn't always happen though.
Coming from a 105, I'd try a 70mm first, before I went any shorter. 

Plenty of shops will let you try a different stem or two out in the parking lot to help you decide.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 03/06/18 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I have a 2011 Trek Sawyer, and when I asked Trek they said that I should try a shorter stem for better steering response. I know when I ride a trail like kitsuma, I have trouble with the switch back climb. I can never quite get a good turning radius and can never do the turn without overshooting

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 03/06/18 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Well, 105 to 70mm will be a radical change that you'll notice.

I had one bike that came with a 75. I put a 60 on it and it felt all wrong. I replaced it with a 70mm and that was the sweet spot for that particular bike. What handles best on tech features, wont necessarily be the best for climbing and vice versa. So, it's sort of a compromise. 

One general rule of thumb is, if you're on the bike in attack position, look down through the handlebar and see where the handlebar is in relation to the front axle? If it's in front of the front axle you need shorter stem to get it to line up, if its behind then you need a longer stem. You can do some rough measurements with a tape measure then convert to mm or go to a shop and hold different stems up until you find the right length. It's not perfect, but it's a good starting point.

Another option is to get a bike shop and get the bike fitted. Costs a few bucks, but once you do it you're done. I think the Cycle Path does this.

As I said before, the cheapest option is once you get a general idea of the right stem measurement, try a different sized stem or two from the bike shop or borrow one or two from guys here. Then buy the one you want.
« Last Edit: 03/06/18 at 5:17pm by IntheBush »  

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #5 - 03/06/18 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Would not recommend that big of a change straight away.  20mm difference is big.  Going 40-50mm would be off the charts in my opinion.  My previous bike came with a 105 and I went to a 90.  I could tell a substantial difference.  I will say though that making that change greatly helped my ability to make switchback turns more efficiently.

I know its not convenient for the wallet, but I would strongly recommend making changes at most in 15mm increments.    If you're riding on "narrow" bars you may want to look into widening those as well when you shorten the stem.
« Last Edit: 03/06/18 at 5:13pm by flynbryan19 »  

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 03/07/18 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I've got a basic bontrager 90mm I will loan/give you that I won't miss. 

Like the others have said its a bad idea to swing for the fences with much more then a 10mm change on stems all at once. 
You mention kitsuma and I'd say you'll appreciate the shorter more so on the DH then whatever it might do for you on a climbing switchback.  When all line choices are equal I find it best to swing wider rather cutting hard in the switch back but your mileage may vary.
Pm if you want to hook up and try the 90mm.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #7 - 03/07/18 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Also this is a generalization, but in many cases just shortening the stem by itself can lead to undesired results.  The majority of new bikes are coming out with shorter and shorter stems, but the reason they can do this is because most handlebars are getting wider.  Shortening a stem quickens steering response, making handlebars more narrow also quickens steering response.  Newer bikes have widened handlebars which slows steering response in relation, but puts rider in more of an "attack position" which tends to be more desired now a days.  To offset this slowed steering of the widened handlebars they pair it with a shorter stem which contributes to a faster steering response.   

If you do only one of the changes, ex: just shortening the stem, you could get a ride that feels "twitchy" and unstable and also has you sitting more upright.  This is especially true if you have narrow (<720mm) handlebars.  When I did my change I shortened the stem by 20mm and extended the bars by 40mm and it ended up feeling good but it is all personal preference and is impacted the type of bike you have and riding that you do.  Good luck!!

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #8 - 03/09/18 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
720mm is considered short. What is considered long nowadays? Do y'all have banged up knuckles Huh

GTalk  
IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #9 - 03/09/18 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 03/09/18 at 5:36pm:
720mm is considered short. What is considered long nowadays? Do y'all have banged up knuckles Huh

It's crazy how wide they're at now, I've definitely fist pounded a couple more trees. Santa Cruz doesn't make any mountain bike with more narrow than 720 and Specialized only makes the Rockhopper type bikes with less than 720. Even Spec's  XC bikes are at 720 or more..not saying their right...they are prob somewhat representative of current trends though...shorter stem wider bars...

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 03/12/18 at 1:17am
Print Post  
OEM spec logic: I'll give you 800s and you can cut them to whatever you want
« Last Edit: 03/12/18 at 1:18am by Slothzilla »  

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 03/12/18 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 03/09/18 at 5:36pm:

lol.  All the magazines say you need 780's at least cause bikes come with 720's now.  Create an issue, then create a product to solve the issue....

Rolling with 685's on the bike I have now and I will admit they "feel" narrow.  I do like the way I can squeeze through trees w/o issue though.  My last bike had 720's and I could still clear the trees and my hands felt more comfortable.  Handlebar width is just like many other fitment items in this hobby.  It's personal preference and situation dependent.  I make sure I can fit through the trees FIRST, then I base width off of comfort/preference.
« Last Edit: 03/12/18 at 1:10pm by flynbryan19 »  

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #12 - 03/12/18 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
when I bought my bike, 680's were considered wide. Backsweeps were a big thing also. So are backsweeps still a thing. What about riser bars? Or Jones bar's?

GTalk  
IP Logged

Zakaraia Hermes
Coaster Bike

Reply #13 - 03/12/18 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Never had any issues hitting my hands on anything with 800s? Learn to ride

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 03/12/18 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Zakaraia Hermes wrote on 03/12/18 at 2:16pm:

ENVEous

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #15 - 03/13/18 at 2:13pm
Print Post  

lol.....  That's an arrogant statement.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #16 - 03/13/18 at 4:34pm
Print Post  

trails are wider then when I was a kid Cheesy

GTalk  
IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #17 - 03/13/18 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Slothzilla wrote on 03/12/18 at 2:40pm:

ENVEous

LOL
I remember that time you nearly punched that tree in half with your left hand coming down Bennett Gap

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #18 - 03/13/18 at 9:00pm
Print Post  

I ride 720's on all my bikes. And on some trails around these parts, it's a snug fit, even without trying to squeeze by a bike going in the other direction.

I've been riding trails on bicycles since the 1960's.  Smiley

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #19 - 03/14/18 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 03/13/18 at 8:56pm:

LOL
I remember that time you nearly punched that tree in half with your left hand coming down Bennett Gap

The tree still has a mark on it!  I'm reminded of that day every time I ride when I remove my wedding band from my gnarled finger.  That was back when my bars were 720 too...although this incident had more to do with speed (and my crap suspension setup) rather than bar width.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print