Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic BMX SIZING (Read 334 times)
csquared
Little Ring

Get busy living or Get
Busy Dying!

BMX SIZING
03/06/18 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Alright, reaching out to the community to see if I can get some help.  My 7 year old wants to get into bmx however I'm having a hard time trying to fit him.  He's about 48inch so it seems that a Mini would/should be his size but I've seen lots of folks advocating Junior Frames also.  Would be great to hear from the BMX community and connect to anyone willing to part with some knowledge.  Crank/stem/bar setup info would be good as well.

Thanks in advance!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Re: BMX SIZING
Reply #1 - 03/06/18 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I would head down to the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
and try and speak with Mike King. 

ciao
Santana

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Re: BMX SIZING
Reply #2 - 03/14/18 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Agree that Mike is a great resource. You might also check out Mark Coates at Hornets Nest BMX if you are on the North side of town. 

One thing to consider at your sons age is when the next growth spurt is going to come. Trick is finding that delicate balance between a good bike that will set the hook and not spending a ton of money on a bike he will outgrow too quickly. Mark usually had a good handle on who was fixin to age up and might be able to put you in touch with a good used bike at a good price. 

I would highly suggest you take him out to either track on a regular race day and let him give it a try before getting into it too deeply. Rather than have him run the race, take him out early and let him ride the practice with the other kids. Then stick around and have him watch the racing. Almost guaranteed to get his attention. 

Both tracks have rental bikes and helmets available and he can make some friends in the process. Wish you all the best. The NC / SC area is a great place to ride and race. 

PS - be careful you don’t wind up on a bike too. I lasted about 3 races on the side lines before buying a bike and starting racing again. Smiley  Of course I did get to spend 5 years racing alongside my kid and having an absolute wonderful time. Best thing I could have done and we still MTB together.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print