Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wheel Upgrade Advice (Read 1037 times)
campbesl

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Wheel Upgrade Advice
03/12/18 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
I bought a nice, used, carbon frame bike from an esteemed member of the Tarheel TrailBlazers community.  I've come to realize that the wheels are standard Deore XT equipment.  

There are no markings on the rims, only the hubs.  The front hub is HB-M756 and the rear is FH-M756A.  The only info for rim size is the tires; Maxxis Ardent EXO 27.5 X 2.40 on the front and 27.5 X 2.25 on the rear.  The power train is 1 X 11 with a Shimano cassette.

I would really appreciate recommendations for wheel upgrades.  I see that there are MANY new and used wheel sets on PinkBike.  I'm thinking of budgeting around $400.  

Thanks for any advice that you can provide.
« Last Edit: 03/13/18 at 3:33am by campbesl »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Re: Wheel Upgrade Advice
Reply #1 - 03/13/18 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Just got the upgrade bug or are the wheels not doing something you need them to?  Like tubeless compatible, engagement, width, spoke count, etc. ?  This info will help people give better advice based on your specific requirements for a new set of wheelz. 
« Last Edit: 03/13/18 at 12:21pm by Slothzilla »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 03/13/18 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
how much do you weigh? what type of riding do you do? 

Most everyone can benefit from some decently wide rims (internal width) which gives more tire volume allowing you to run lower pressures for better traction and plushness while still maintaining decent sidewall support. Ideal rim width will depend on the tire width you plan to run, but anywhere from 25 to 30mm internal would be good for the tires you are currently running.

Most everyone can also benefit from some quality hubs with sealed cartridge bearings and a good freehub with a high number of POE (points of engagement). Some people swear by Shimano's cup/cone style bearings, and while there is a valid engineering point to be made about being able to fit in larger ball bearings to improve durability. I personally feel like that benefit is outweighed by the added difficulty of fiddling with loose steel BBs (dropping on the floor and disappearing forever) and properly setting the bearing preload when servicing. Plus if the cup race gets damaged the hub is basically scrap. Cartridge bearings can be cleaned out and re-greased if they are not badly worn, but it is also pretty easy (and cheap) to just replace them outright.

Actual rim strength and spoke count/lacing pattern will depend mostly on rider weight and intended use. 

For your budget, I would recommend looking into a set of Stan's wheels. Arch of Flow rims depending on your requirements. I have no experience with their new Neo hubs, but their old 3.30s were decent. Many people also swear by Hope Pro hubs as well for that price range, but again I have no direct experience with them.
« Last Edit: 03/13/18 at 1:08pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

campbesl

Reply #3 - 03/14/18 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
I got some good questions and input from Slothzilla and BudLeach.  Thank you.

The wheels are beat up but for sure I have a bit of the upgrade bug.  I'm sure that they could benefit from a good tune up but would rather spend my money upgrading to better equipment.  

I weigh in at a portly 215 lbs so my wheels/spokes are structurally challenged.  Besides being fat, I'm old and weak so I need every advantage that I can get.  I mostly ride Beatty (close proximity) but I also do USNWC, Sherman, Rocky River, Uwharrie and am looking forward to trips over to Pisgah.

My theory is that improved quality wheels will be both stronger and lighter plus, as BudLeach mentioned, I can got more width and tire volume for more traction.  But with 2.40" tires on the front I only have about 1/4" per side from the tire to the shock and same for tire to frame on the rear.  I'm not sure if that is enough real estate to effectively work with?

Finally, $400 is not a limit.  If getting there means spending more, I got the dough.
« Last Edit: 03/14/18 at 4:16pm by campbesl »  

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 03/14/18 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Flows would be a good choice for you, they are a little heavy but should easily be able to stand up to the abuse.

If you can swing it, there are some really good deals right now on Industry Nine Trail 245 wheels. They are on closeout because the 24.5mm internal width rim is being discontinued and replaced with a 27.0 mm IW rim. I9s are legit. They are hand made here in NC, with big fat aluminum spokes (extra stiff), and some of the best hubs in the industry.

Or you can go custom and lace up some Stan's flow rims to the hubs of your choosing. I hear there are a few guys on this forum that are highly respected wheel builders that might be willing to take on your business. 

Wheels are one of the best and most noticeable upgrades you can make to a mountain bike, right up there with suspension. It is the kind of upgrade that is worth spending as much as your budget will allow. The performance payoff is worth it.  

Whatever you go with you're going to want a 32 spoke wheel for strength. 

Other considerations, what is your axle setup? I assume it is not boost? so 100mm wide in front? Is it thru axle or quick release? 
« Last Edit: 03/14/18 at 7:24pm by BudLeach »  

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #5 - 03/14/18 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Budleach gave some good advice. At 215lbs, I wouldn't be looking for something lighter, I would be leaning towards stronger and wider. A wider rim will marginally increase actual tire width but it will add more volume which is very important. XT hubs can be solid but have poor engagement depending on model. It seems most mtb wheels are built for 200lb and under gang. It is just the way the bike industry is. Very few factory wheels are robust enough for the 200 plus crowd. This is where a custom build suited for your size and riding conditions can bring benefits to you.

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

johnski
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 03/15/18 at 10:37am
Print Post  
215lbs here, too, and I'm not easy on wheels. Currently running a set of Spank Oozy 345's with Hope Pro4 hubs, 32 spoke, built by Mark at The Cycle Path. He built up virtually the same combo for my old bike, too. I liked them so much, I had a new set for my new bike before it even left the shop. They perform flawlessly, take the abuse I dish out, and I never worry about if my wheelset will hold up when I'm out on the trail.

IP Logged

hudsontp
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 03/24/18 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
If you are mostly riding local trails them Arch MK3 rims are pretty great. Ive been over 200 for the past year and riding these (i do not tread lightly and i jump whatever i can) on my single speed.

If you plan to go to Pisgah and want something a bit burlier, the Flow MK3 would also be a great choice. A bit wider, and only a little heavier.

But i also have to agree that my personal choice for rims for riding in mtns (pisgah amd such) would be the Spank Oozy 345. I ran the oozy 295 for three years trashing them on tech and finally killed the rim. When i went to true it, i had cracked it in multiple places but they never failed. The new ones (345) are even stiffer and wider.

As far as bamg gor the buck, Hope pro 4 hubs are hard to beat. Ive had several sets through the years and rarely had to replace a bearing. Also available in a variety of colors. BikeHubStore sells some less expensive Taiwan hubs that are light, good engagement, and durable if you want to save weight or $. I9, King, Profile, etc are all great if you want to up the budget a few hundred dollar bills.

Happy to help if you need someone to build and walk you through it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print