Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Cub Scout Tiger Kids Group Ride in April (Read 743 times)
INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Cub Scout Tiger Kids Group Ride in April
03/21/18 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
I am looking to organize a Cub Scouts Tiger Den kids ride in mid April for them to earn their badges.  Our den is about 12 boys ages 5-7.  Most have some sort of bike, so "probably" only a couple real novices.

We are in the South Charlotte area.   I recall a kids ride use to occur at Beatty some time ago, but didnt find the post and stopped looking after several pages, so it must have been old. ;]  I also saw a post for one that occurred in Ballantyne?  We could be open to either location or a different I dont know of if it is better?

I would also be open to if another Pack wanted to join and make a slightly larger event.  (not sure if more would make it more unmanageable or better?) 

What I am looking for:
    1. Advice and best practices for boys of this age. (of course my son can ride, but not familiar catering to others at this age/skill level.) 
    2. What paths, activities, skills, drills exercises have you used / recommend.  (there is a small cub scout chapter for me to facilitate, but beyond that we are open)
    3. Any club or shop volunteer to speek and or assist / contribute.
    4. Lastly what would a small event like this be without a little schwag for the boys... ;] Any shops work with cub scouts in the past? (bottles, shirts, stickers, gloves, whatever)

Let me know your thoughts and experience.  I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Cub Scout Tiger Kids Group Ride in April
Reply #1 - 03/22/18 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I think Ballantyne is the absolute best trail around for young kids/novices. There's very little elevation, very few roots, and it is broken up into two short loops (like 1 mile and .75 mile). Kids don't get frustrated, and the more advanced ones can do several laps. The flow loop especially is a lot of fun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 03/26/18 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
SirNotAppearing wrote on 03/22/18 at 2:17pm:
I think Ballantyne is the absolute best trail around for young kids/novices. There's very little elevation, very few roots, and it is broken up into two short loops (like 1 mile and .75 mile). Kids don't get frustrated, and the more advanced ones can do several laps. The flow loop especially is a lot of fun.

I haven't been there yet, is there a trail head map or any online resources?  Was trying to google and only found the mecknc.gov site with pavilion/field rentals and such?

I really cannot believe there are no people left that use to do the kids ride?  (or maybe they just dont read this forum room anymore?)  Anyone recall them and suggestions for me to reach out directly?  Thought there was a bike shop associated too?  Ill have to try to reach out to Ultimate directly since they are one of my favorite shops and probably the closest...

Any other suggestions would still be greatly appreciated.  I just want to make it great for the kids...
« Last Edit: 03/26/18 at 3:25pm by INTENSEcretAgent »  

IP Logged

INTENSEcretAgent
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 03/26/18 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
If I remember right there use to be trail head "coordinators" for the THTBs?  Do they still exist and does anyone know who they are for ballantyne & beatty?

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 03/26/18 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Kids rides happen from time to time, but they're not really regularly scheduled. Your first post stated you were organizing a ride, so I'm a little confused as to what you want. I (Bryan Hall) am TC at Beatty, Luis Mart is TC at Ballantyne. 

There is no map for Ballantyne yet, but it is super easy to find. You can park near the Bojangles Pavilion or the gravel lot off Community House Rd. It's two simple loops, dead easy. Pre-ride it (or whatever trail you choose) before leading a bunch of kids. NC Velo hosts a group ride every Wednesday night, that would be a great chance to familiarize yourself with the trail.

Other suggestion: bring lots of snacks and water.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print