Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2018 summer MTB series cancelled? (Read 5409 times)
AMitchell47
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

2018 summer MTB series cancelled?
04/04/18 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I just saw the news that the 2018 summer MTB racing series has been cancelled, supposedly to return in 2019. 

Racing the summer series was something I really looked forward to.  No matter where I finished, I knew I pushed myself a lot harder than I ever do on any normal "ride".  

I know a lot of things have probably been suggested and discussed, but wonder what would prompt more people to come out and give XC racing a try?

I'd like feedback from people who don't race, but would race if the planets aligned properly.

What would make you try an XC MTB race or two if you were on the fence?

Short track format vs. XC? (I really like the summer XC format - short track in the winter)
Longer races?
Shorter races?
A series with less races in it, making it easier to go to "all of the races"?
Discounted races for first timers?
More awards?
An advancement policy to help control sandbagging? (not that people ever sandbag)
A racing class for bikes that cost less than $1M (the bargain hunter class?)
A class for slow old people? (wait, that's me, and they have that.  But they're not slow)
Start the racing sooner?
Start the racing later (some people would need lights in Expert)?

Sincerely,

A sad week-day warrior disappointed to see the fun and pain of mid-week racing go away for a year.   Embarrassed
« Last Edit: 04/04/18 at 1:58pm by AMitchell47 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Re: 2018 summer MTB series cancelled?
Reply #1 - 04/04/18 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
I never liked having to rush around after work to get to the race before the start.  A Saturday or Sunday morning schedule would make more sense to me but then again I'm not the one running them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 04/04/18 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
It's a bummer to hear that this is being cancelled, but the numbers don't lie. Charlotte seems to be running out of local events, even though a ton of venues exist. The paragraph on the website says it well; the numbers were 130-150 per night? That is wild. I see why you had so many races to start with!

As somewhat of a newbie to the area, this is my outlook:

1) I always thought that this series had too many races. You can only race so many places, so many times, before getting burned out of them. I think a series of just one race at each location would be more doable. You would get more numbers at each race.

2) I liked the idea of mixing in some short track format races, and it most certainly has a demand in the area.

3) The price per race wasn't bad at all. I don't think that is what brought the numbers down.

4) Week night races work for many, but you have a select crew of people you knock out of your bracket based on real life obligations. I'm wondering if that bracket of people who used to race, now have life responsibilities. I'm the example of that, As a Dad I just can't do after work hour rides/races without giving up a lot of MBUs.

My vision of a successful summer series?

Weekend races that look more like the Southern Classic Series, without USAC. 

I always look to see how far those venues are, and its a bummer they are almost all over an hour away from us in CLT. Why should we have to travel to race XC when we have tons of awesome proven trail venues in our backyard?

Places like WWC, Renaissance can handle bigger laps and longer race times. Cat 3 should be closer to 30+ minutes, Cat 2 1+ hour, Cat 1 1:30+. I always felt the WWC race was the perfect length for an XC race. It seems that anything closer to an hour is more of a short track effort anyway.

Having it on the weekend would open this up to more trails in the Charlotte area, since more people can travel on Saturday/Sundays.

Why don't we have XC racing at Lake Norman, URE, Anne Springs? All these trails have other types of races, so it isn't an issue of parking or anything like that.

Smaller trails like the Harrisburg Half, North Meck, Fisher Farm, they would be amazing short track venues. Never ridden Beatty but it looks like they have a big parking lot and would be a great short track location too.

This would be an amazing calendar of events from April to August, maybe every other weekend:

1) Renni ST
2) WWC XC
3) Lake Norman XC
4) Harrisburg ST
5) URE XC
6) North Meck ST
7) Renni XC
8) Fisher Farms ST

If we want these types of local events to succeed and stick around, we need to race local and support the area.

I'd love to get the conversation rolling on this and be part of the rebirth of XC racing in the area. Let me know how I can get involved.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

mlong623
In The Loop

Reply #3 - 04/04/18 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Where was the cancellation news posted?

IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Reply #4 - 04/04/18 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
mlong623 wrote on 04/04/18 at 7:57pm:
Where was the cancellation news posted?

Here:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #5 - 04/04/18 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Really too bad they cancelled the series this year but agree that rider counts have to be sufficient to keep these things running. I participated in several of the winter series the past couple of seasons and really enjoyed it. That been said I would offer a couple of observations from the perspective of someone who is relitively new to MTB racing but has a great deal of experience racing BMX. 

1). I had thought about doing the summer series a couple of times but the week day times were a non-starter for me. Just too busy to leave work early and local races just don’t merit vacation days. Looking for a fun competitive ride, not increased stress levels. Would recommend weekends like the winter series. Think they always had a higher rider count too. Also I found the high quantity of races in the summer to be a deterrent. Difficult to do the series justice when the schedule looks like a second job. Personally I thought the winter cadence was spot on. Would recommend establishing a summer schedule that puts a premium on attending as many events as possible which should give you the higher rider counts you are looking for. 

2). I thought the race management was exceptional at the winter events I attended. Who ever is running the series should be commended. While I agree some additional venues would be fun (good excuse to ride different trail) I’m sure it would increase the complexity of managing these events. I would hate to see a reduction in event quality but perhaps there is a happy medium between the two?  You may also want to consider varying the technical levels of the trails such that the winner would not only require great cardio; but also solid technical ability. (Road vs Trail skills)

3). Sandbagging. This is a real problem and one that I think discourages a lot of newer riders from giving racing a try. Granted there are a lot of good riders but if you look at race results in the beginner classes over the past 3 years I think you will see some repetition in the names that are finishing at the top of the list. Really think you need a new category like intermediate that will allow beginners to give things a try at there own level and more established riders to gain better conditioning and skills with out being thrown to the wolves in the sport classes.  Those guys are very good riders and quite dedicated to their sport; and the reality is that your numbers are going to grow in demographics that simply don’t have the time to put into training at the level required to be competitive at that level of the sport. I’d look into establishing an intermediate class with parameters realistic to the time and conditioning that your average weekend rider can attain and then enforce the existing move up requirements across all classes so that riders in each level have a realistic chance of being competitive. 

Hope the dialog continues and establishes a base of interest that warrants bringing the summer series back. 
Cheers
Jeff

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 04/04/18 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
NC Kingsting wrote on 04/04/18 at 9:38pm:
1). I had thought about doing the summer series a couple of times but the week day times were a non-starter for me. Just too busy to leave work early and local races just don’t merit vacation days. Looking for a fun competitive ride, not increased stress levels. Would recommend weekends like the winter series. Think they always had a higher rider count too. Also I found the high quantity of races in the summer to be a deterrent. Difficult to do the series justice when the schedule looks like a second job. Personally I thought the winter cadence was spot on. Would recommend establishing a summer schedule that puts a premium on attending as many events as possible which should give you the higher rider counts you are looking for.

I agree with this, that same effort of the winter short track at any one of the other venues would be killer.

2). I thought the race management was exceptional at the winter events I attended. Who ever is running the series should be commended. While I agree some additional venues would be fun (good excuse to ride different trail) I’m sure it would increase the complexity of managing these events. I would hate to see a reduction in event quality but perhaps there is a happy medium between the two?  You may also want to consider varying the technical levels of the trails such that the winner would not only require great cardio; but also solid technical ability. (Road vs Trail skills)

Agreed, the interaction with the staff, the way the races where run, the instant timing results, these guys have this down pat. You cannot blame the racer interaction with the race promoters for this. 

The part about the trails is tough, because you can only race what we have. As a Yankee, I would LOVE for more rock gardens, but unless you are importing rocks in from Pisgah, I don't see it happening Sad Plus, I don't think you could do a race at the Rocky River Trail Sad

3). Sandbagging. This is a real problem and one that I think discourages a lot of newer riders from giving racing a try. Granted there are a lot of good riders but if you look at race results in the beginner classes over the past 3 years I think you will see some repetition in the names that are finishing at the top of the list. Really think you need a new category like intermediate that will allow beginners to give things a try at there own level and more established riders to gain better conditioning and skills with out being thrown to the wolves in the sport classes.  Those guys are very good riders and quite dedicated to their sport; and the reality is that your numbers are going to grow in demographics that simply don’t have the time to put into training at the level required to be competitive at that level of the sport. I’d look into establishing an intermediate class with parameters realistic to the time and conditioning that your average weekend rider can attain and then enforce the existing move up requirements across all classes so that riders in each level have a realistic chance of being competitive.

Your third point could be its own thread sadly. I'm 50/50 on this kiling the series. As a Cat 1 MTBer, riding the open race was a shame because I knew I was too fast for the Sport races, but not enough people like me did the Cat 1 races. I would finish towards the back of the pack, but I am by no means a slow poke.

In my past MTB race experience, for non open categories (open men/women, open singlespeed, open clydesdale) had a verbiage where the top 3 in a series would not score points for the series. They could still race that category and win the race, but it was a way to hopefully nudge people towards another category. 

I feel that the Cat 3 fields should really be "first year" racers, people trying to get the bug, etc. The Cat 2 field falls into more of the weekend warrior. If you podium a Cat 3 race, you are ready for Cat 2. You could be a Cat 2 lifer if you want to be The jump from Cat 3 to 2 isn't as big as you would imagine. 2 to 1/open is another story. I feel most people can easily do 10 miles of mountain biking, which is what the average Cat 2 race distance is/should be.

The perk of not being a USAC race is allowing people to try the different categories without having to submit it to USAC. Maybe you are an avid cat 2 rider and want to test your skills in the open race. Give it a shot, maybe you end up beating some people, maybe you get crushed. Then you can move back into the Cat 2 category. I also feel if you are podiuming Cat 2 races all year, you are ready to be the pack fodder that is Cat 1/Open.

Everyone will have an opinion on that. I understand the rush for racing for the win. I was always surprised by how fast the Cat 2/sport fields where. The average speeds where insane. A lot of those people could be doing the open races for sure.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #7 - 04/05/18 at 1:04am
Print Post  
pearl wrote on 04/04/18 at 6:50pm:
It's a bummer to hear that this is being cancelled, but the numbers don't lie. Charlotte seems to be running out of local events, even though a ton of venues exist. The paragraph on the website says it well; the numbers were 130-150 per night? That is wild. I see why you had so many races to start with!

As somewhat of a newbie to the area, this is my outlook:

1) I always thought that this series had too many races. You can only race so many places, so many times, before getting burned out of them. I think a series of just one race at each location would be more doable. You would get more numbers at each race.

2) I liked the idea of mixing in some short track format races, and it most certainly has a demand in the area.

3) The price per race wasn't bad at all. I don't think that is what brought the numbers down.

4) Week night races work for many, but you have a select crew of people you knock out of your bracket based on real life obligations. I'm wondering if that bracket of people who used to race, now have life responsibilities. I'm the example of that, As a Dad I just can't do after work hour rides/races without giving up a lot of MBUs.

My vision of a successful summer series?

Weekend races that look more like the Southern Classic Series, without USAC. 

I always look to see how far those venues are, and its a bummer they are almost all over an hour away from us in CLT. Why should we have to travel to race XC when we have tons of awesome proven trail venues in our backyard?

Places like WWC, Renaissance can handle bigger laps and longer race times. Cat 3 should be closer to 30+ minutes, Cat 2 1+ hour, Cat 1 1:30+. I always felt the WWC race was the perfect length for an XC race. It seems that anything closer to an hour is more of a short track effort anyway.

Having it on the weekend would open this up to more trails in the Charlotte area, since more people can travel on Saturday/Sundays.

Why don't we have XC racing at Lake Norman, URE, Anne Springs? All these trails have other types of races, so it isn't an issue of parking or anything like that.

Smaller trails like the Harrisburg Half, North Meck, Fisher Farm, they would be amazing short track venues. Never ridden Beatty but it looks like they have a big parking lot and would be a great short track location too.

This would be an amazing calendar of events from April to August, maybe every other weekend:

1) Renni ST
2) WWC XC
3) Lake Norman XC
4) Harrisburg ST
5) URE XC
6) North Meck ST
7) Renni XC
8) Fisher Farms ST

If we want these types of local events to succeed and stick around, we need to race local and support the area.

I'd love to get the conversation rolling on this and be part of the rebirth of XC racing in the area. Let me know how I can get involved.

Only if you plan on racing just the main loop.  Do everything but Wild Hare and the tech loop and add Allison Farms and you've got close to a 7 mile loop. Riders would likely die... Grin

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 04/05/18 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I think it would be enlightening to see what the data says about the fall in participation over the last few years and whether it correlates to any changes that were made over that time frame or other external factors.  Perhaps some more surgical analysis would ID the route cause of the decline.  Some questions that could be asked and perhaps answered by the data are as follows:
- Did participation drop when some of the more outlying trails got axed?  
- Did participation drop when USAC sanctioning was dropped?  
- What age groups and classes/categories were most affected after those decisions? 
- How has the rise of more youth cycling leagues (CYCL/NICA) possibly affected youth participation?  
- How has the lack of other USAC sanctioned mtb events in the area for the last year or 2 affected interest and could that have been driving competitors to other competitive cycling/other sports (e.g. running/tri) with more local options?

I know the series was well managed and organized.  Those guys and gals ran a great series and made decisions to help make it more attractive.  But perhaps some of those decisions (in addition to the external factors) hurt more than helped.  I'm going to really miss the series and hope it makes a comeback next year.   Cry
« Last Edit: 04/05/18 at 2:43pm by DirtDan »  

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #9 - 04/05/18 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I attended the summer series here and there over 3-4 years.  I too am bummed to see it go even though I was not a "regular" attender.  I personally enjoyed the mid-week event time.  It allowed me to go have some "me time" without taking away a day of my "family time" over a weekend.  That said, I am blessed to create my own schedule and leaving work early was not an issue for me.

As others have stated, life issues kept me from regularly attending even though I would only really hit 3 of the event locations.  My biggest bone of contention was with the policing of the classes.  I just always felt that there was an immense amount of sandbagging in the beginner and possibly even sport classes.  This was not a deal breaker for me because I raced more against myself then for medals, but it was discouraging to see the blatant jump between the top 1-2 guys and the rest of the pack at times.

Neil and the crew did an AMAZING job of otherwise creating a professional and well ran event.  Aside from the sandbagging issues I had nothing to complain about in how the events were ran.  I always had a good time when I did get to show up and like others will be sad to not see them be an option this year.  Hopefully they will be able to come back in 2019.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

sCvHeaVens
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 04/05/18 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
As someone who REALLY wanted to race but quit out of frustration each year for some reason I'll shed some opinion.

First and foremost... A lot of people can't make Wednesday in particular, a sat or sunday would be best, but even a Thurs would be better IMO.

I started 3 years ago - way too slow to be competitive in beginner class... Quit racing to train and next year was competitive but ended up racing 1-3 people each race as the other beginners did what I did the first year (I'm sure I was the "sandbagger" that year but just finishing the distance in cat2 would have been difficult for me).  Last year raced cat 2 and finished mid pack and was happy with my progress.  What I was not happy with was the same individual who raced cat 2 the past 3-4 years getting a flat and coming back and winning that race by minutes (actually had same time as back half of cat 1).  I agree with the statement that there could be a whole thread on the sand bagging.

IMO there is three things that would make the series SO much better.

1) Enforce an upgrade rule based on time (podiums like USAC is unfair to those going for series IMO).  We have enough professional athletes in the CLT area to where - sure, they may not be MTB racers but they greatly skew the cats.

2) Have another category, whether its a true beginner or add super sport and make beginner true beginner where the entry fee is less but there are no awards.  Strict limit on beginner class.  This will help with race etiquette in the category just above true beginner (it is BAD).

3) Weekend races

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #11 - 04/05/18 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Hopefully, Niel will be able to return in 2019.  While it would be nice to run a homegrown race league, there are inherent issues.  Having done this before up in the Northeast for 7 years I will let you know it is no small feet.  The biggest issue that needs to be bankrolled is the insurance issues.  Before anyone chimes in with a "just have everyone sign a hold harmless agreement", those are not enforceable.  This is the one thing that USAC has to offer to the grassroot promoter.  The second is a venue.  While the Whitewater center is a great venue, they charge big $$ to put on a race there....    Securing a venue with the county/city is not easy and takes time to develop the necessary relationships.   Help with the event is also an issue.  If you are running 1 or 2 races people will come out in droves to volunteer help, anything more than that, however.... You get the drift.   

I would like to thank Niel for all his work over the years with the Winter and Summer MTB series and the Cross training series of the past....  Many people who are now upper-level races got their start in these local series....  Thanks again Niel....

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/05/18 at 3:24pm
Print Post  

Hope the dialog continues and establishes a base of interest that warrants bringing the summer series back. 
Cheers
Jeff

I got accused of sandbagging the first year I raced by other riders in Beginner Class, and I won the overall that year.  But then I went to Sport Class the next year and finished mid-pack consistently.  So, it can be tough to determine who is actually sandbagging.  I know I wasn't.  So I agree with you, may be room for another category because after all, most people who race want to feel like they either have a shot at winning or at the very least want to be in the hunt with other riders.  HOWEVER, my opinion at the time was that I had to commit to one type of race or the other:

Beginner = Ride like a bat out of hell for a couple laps and hope you finish first.
Sport = Less of a sprint and more of a marathon with riders much more closely matched in terms of fitness and skill.  Strategy and picking the a specific time to try and move up a spot or two is more at play.

IP Logged

pearl
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 04/05/18 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
The term is thrown around too loosely. I don’t think another category is necessary for XC racing. 

Most beginner racers can ride their bike for an hour, so think of the cat 2 distance as double the miles for your money!

IP Logged

bikermedic
Little Ring

Swim, Bike, Run 140.6

Reply #14 - 04/05/18 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
We did a first timmer category for the first couple races of the year...  It gave people a chance to come out and race, but not have to pressure of racing the whole beginner race.  After two weeks the CAT went away and they raced beginner....

IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Reply #15 - 04/05/18 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
For me it's the mid-week thing. I just can't make it out there in time with this damn pesky job hanging over my head.  Grin Even to be loaded ahead of time and doing any pre race rituals while winding down the work day still doesn't leave enough time to make it there and not make it seem like a chore vs something that's supposed to be enjoyable.

Obviously you can't please everyone as some folks do work weekends, but the majority have the weekends open

Good series and I hope to see it return for those that partake!

IP Logged

KevinB
Little Ring

Reply #16 - 04/05/18 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
For me the weekday worked, however throw it on a Sat morning and nope. 

Personally I got burned out doing the same thing over and over. I wouldn't mind seeing a series that has some of everything, short track, summer series type races, time trials,and some 4-6 hour races.

IP Logged

team_ssr
Big Ring

Do hard things

Reply #17 - 04/06/18 at 11:31am
Print Post  
So, there is another Wednesday night series.  Some races would be a bit of a hike from Charlotte, but others are do-able like Hobby Park, Tangle Wood, etc..

Starts April 18.  Hobby Park is the only one on a Thursday, April 26th.

Deo Volente
IP Logged

northlknrider
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 04/08/18 at 3:03am
Print Post  
In years past I was a regular Wed night racer.  I have missed the last couple of years.  I was actually trying to get my fitness up to do some racing this summer.  I still plan to do some racing in the mountains, but I hate that we are loosing the local scene this year.   

I think fewer races and more venues would be the answer.  I always got burned out about halfway through the summer.  I would like to see a race at Fisher Farm, Anne Springs and LKN.  I know LKN would be a haul for a lot of folks, just like AS is for me living all the way up in Catawba County.

Maybe something like this
1)North Meck
2)Reni ST
3)WWC
4)Anne Springs
5)LKN
6)Fisher Farm
7)Poston (not even sure that's an option)
8)Maybe another WWC or somewhere else for the Finals

Race every other Wed and avoid holiday weeks

Bob Marley is to Jamaicans as Lynard Skynard is to Rednecks

IP Logged

zino
Coaster Bike

Reply #19 - 04/08/18 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
The availability of events, probably based on financial incentive from those running them, went up and scattered the participation.  Social part dissolved, women left the scene.

We need a big social event involving racing, maybe team/groups oriented.  USTA saved tennis this way --- as the outcome of individual tournaments, like mtn. bike races, was too predictable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print