Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Trek Roscoe 8 (Read 1013 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

Trek Roscoe 8
04/16/18 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

thinking about getting one. Need opinions. I've always rode x-country hardtails currently riding a 29er HT. Will I notice big differences with this bike. It's in my budget, but I'm still not sure

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Trek Roscoe 8
Reply #1 - 04/17/18 at 1:12am
Print Post  
The Roscoe seems to have good value at that price but the rear hub spacing is weird.  Sort of a mini-boost size? It's basically an X-Caliber with a 120mm fork and 2.8 tires bolted on. Will you notice a difference? Surely. I'd bet you'd find this bike more "fun", but that depends on what you are shopping for.

I used to ride 29er hard tails and recently gave 27.5+ a try.  I'm really digging the feel of the plus tires because of the traction from low tire pressure and the bigger footprint. When 29ers were coming around we all went to them because they'd roll over the gaps in the trail with better momentum with the taller height. When I compare the 2 wheels side by side the 27.5x2.8 is just about a knob height shorter than a 29x2.25 tire so it's not giving up much roll over ability.  I wouldn't argue that the 27.5+ are faster or even "better" but for how I ride it is more fun.

Cycle Path in Davidson is having a test ride event and Specialized has a few plus tire offerings so you might want look into test riding something on the trail to see what it's all about.  A parking lot test ride is not going to tell you anything for what the tires bring to the table.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 04/17/18 at 11:08am
Print Post  
I was looking to ride on more rowdy type trails. But latly, everything I look at has been out of range. So this is probably my best chance. And my trek card is offering 0% for 12 months. I can just about stretch $100 a month. The Stash 5 is out of reach at $1600. I wonder if specilized has anything simular to the Roscoe.......... Roll Eyes

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 05/03/18 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Boost 148 Or Boost Rear

“148” as in, you guessed it, 148mm wide. With a wider hub shell comes better bracing angles of the spokes, which results in a stiffer, stronger wheel. This is a big advantage for 29ers, as a correctly built wheel of this size on this new dimension yields a wheel of similar strength and stiffness to a standard 26" rim with 142mm hubs. Expect to see bikes in the future with 141mm OLD hubs for bikes with QR dropouts, similar to the 135mm hubs we see today.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

GTalk  
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 05/03/18 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Right, except my point is that the Roscoe is 141 rear not 148 boost rear. 

Probably not a big deal performance wise but it is going to limit your options if ever wanted to upgrade or replace your rear wheel.  Not sure you could spread the dropouts that much to cram a 148 width hub in there.  141 rear sounds like a "Trekism" for good luck finding a non Trek rear wheel, but what do I know.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #5 - 05/09/18 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I don't know how true this is, everybody else seems to say what you are saying. But the mechanic at the Trek Shop says that the hub of the wheel on the roscoe is 141. He said a boost 148 with endcaps would work on the roscoe. But I havent measured or anything, and haven't really looked into it more . But I went with the Roscoe, and I like it. The reviews I read made me think that it was like riding a bike where you felt set back. But it seems normal when your on it. The wider tires seem to roll over everything. I think I had lower gearing on my Sawyer at a 22x36 low against the 28x42 low on the Roscoe. They sell a roscoe 9 in the UK with a 28x46 low, that would be hip. But the 1x is really cool. I'm trying to get used to the dropper. It feels like nothing is there when it's dropped. I've been so used to guiding the bike with my legs. Everybody who sees the bike is really impressed. It's cool for an entry level.   But folks were impressed with my Sawyer also Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #6 - 05/10/18 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I thought it looked like a solid bike for the money. Convert it to tubeless so you run silly low pressures with those 2.8s and I bet that thing will come to life for you.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #7 - 05/10/18 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I had it set up tubeless right out of the gate. I'm diggin it Smiley

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print