Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic 2x crank to 1x (Read 865 times)
Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

2x crank to 1x
05/02/18 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Want to change my 2x SLX boost crank set to 1x. Going from 24 to 30 on inner chainring. Is this a direct change? Outer ring will be a bash guard/leg tattoo. I understand the chain will need to be longer. Am replacing the cassette also.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: 2x crank to 1x
Reply #1 - 05/02/18 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I can tell you utilizing the outer ring location is a direct change.  Not sure about the inner.  I believe most (if not all) of the aftermarket N/W chainrings are designed for the larger chainring bolt pattern.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 06/02/18 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Wolf Tooth makes some 1x rings for the inner ring position, but I'm not sure if they do all BCD patterns or just common Sram ones.  Shimano likes to change the BCD on different models/years of their cranks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They make bash guards to fit their rings too.  I've found they're very responsive to email questions (even on weekends sometimes), so they'll be sure to help you find what you need.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #3 - 06/02/18 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Wolf Tooth makes some 1x rings for the inner ring position, but I'm not sure if they do all BCD patterns or just common Sram ones.  Shimano likes to change the BCD on different models/years of their cranks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They make bash guards to fit their rings too.  I've found they're very responsive to email questions (even on weekends sometimes), so they'll be sure to help you find what you need.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/03/18 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
The larger chainring in the inner position may get a little flexy.  i've never had a problem with the chainring on the outer position.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #5 - 06/04/18 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I went to a 28 on the inner and it seems to work fine. It is an asymmetrical BCD chainring, of course. I presume the symmetry is just to keep the number of different chainrings made to a maximum. It seems to work well enough. Went to a 11 x 46 on the cassette. So far I'm happy with it. Tried it on a couple of steeper climbs in TX this weekend. (Before the temp hit 114).
It is a direct change. Lengthened the chain by about 4 links. 

May see if wolf toof makes a bash guard for the outer just so's I don't look like a cat 5 roadie. Roll Eyes
Thanks for the tips and siuggestions

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #6 - 06/06/18 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 06/04/18 at 8:56pm:
I went to a 28 on the inner and it seems to work fine. It is an asymmetrical BCD chainring, of course. I presume the symmetry is just to keep the number of different chainrings made to a maximum. It seems to work well enough. Went to a 11 x 46 on the cassette. So far I'm happy with it. Tried it on a couple of steeper climbs in TX this weekend. (Before the temp hit 114).
It is a direct change. Lengthened the chain by about 4 links. 

May see if wolf toof makes a bash guard for the outer just so's I don't look like a cat 5 roadie. Roll Eyes
Thanks for the tips and siuggestions

You honestly don't need a bash guard as the chain wrapping around the chain ring will effectively protect the chain ring. Smiley Plus using the outer position provides a better chain line to the cassette.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print