Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sherman (Read 1719 times)
JasonK
Ex Member

Sherman
05/27/18 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Charmin Brunch was in great shape today. Go ride it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Captain Awesome
Small Cog

Work, Ride, Repeat

Re: Sherman
Reply #1 - 06/03/18 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
The word of the day out there...............MOIST

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Bugaboo
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 06/03/18 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Hmm, not sure how Sherman was open. Tapped out not long after starting and just did the fire roads. Wet, muddy, and sloppy☹️

"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all that you are traveling for."

IP Logged

msedly
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 06/04/18 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Roller coaster was rough.  Only a few spots that were really bad on the rest.  I understand wanting to open today since we finally got some nice weather, but it probably should have stayed closed.  I was regretting not going over to rocky river...

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 06/04/18 at 1:23am
Print Post  
We’ve gotten so much rain over here near Sherman that it will take a week of dry weather for it to really dry.  Lots of work for us to do on drains and repairing the wet spots.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Alex88

Reply #5 - 06/04/18 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I almost felt guilty after my ride yesterday, I’ve never seen Sherman that wet and still open.
It was a peanut butter farm.

Parking lot was FULL too, everybody has been jonesing for a ride...

Easy things are not always important, and important things are not always easy...

IP Logged

DirtDan
Coaster Bike

Reply #6 - 06/04/18 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Alex88 wrote on 06/04/18 at 1:56pm:
I almost felt guilty after my ride yesterday, I’ve never seen Sherman that wet and still open.
It was a peanut butter farm.

Felt the same way, and was wishing I'd stuck to the road bike or maybe hit RRT instead.  I always avoid Roller Coaster and Lake when it's still drying, but gave Main a go.  After 1 loop around Main, I cut out the worst sections (basically the entire left side until you cross the fire road the first time) to get some decent mileage and avoid doing any more damage.  Lots of riders out there, so I hope the trail isn't in too bad shape after it dries.

IP Logged

redstorm

old, but slow!

Reply #7 - 06/05/18 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Trail report from Tuesday morning: Main trail, especially the southern part, before you cross back over the creek, was still pretty wet. No standing water, and muddy parts are getting firm. Ride the center of the muddy areas, not the ruts from folks going around them. Skipped Roller Coaster, after seeing the wet Main trail. Lake Loop was overall better than the wettest parts of Main. Overall pretty rideable, and with some sun this afternoon will probably be much better by Tues evening.

IP Logged

Metalmok
Coaster Bike

I would rather ride than
work

Reply #8 - 06/06/18 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Bugaboo wrote on 06/03/18 at 5:41pm:
Hmm, not sure how Sherman was open. Tapped out not long after starting and just did the fire roads. Wet, muddy, and sloppy☹️

I did the same. I couldn't ride on the trail with a good conscience.

Please consider the environment before you...

...play your Bluetooth speaker in the woods.

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 06/06/18 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Appreciate this group. Just decided to leave a local mtb group on FB due to tiring of the constant negativity/trolling. Had recently posted about taking care on Sherman that it was still kinda sloppy - a "maybe give it a day more" kinda thing - when flamefest started along the lines of "who cares? I'll make my messy fun in the mud - let somebody else fix it." 

Just wanted you gnomes to know I CARE and it seems a matter of simple respect. I get the tension on when to open or not open. Even when open, it just seems a matter of respect for other riders who'll come after me to avoid sloppy sections, to not intentionally dive in to rut things on purpose, etc.

We're are no longer 11 years old, right? Riding can make us feel like kids again but we understand there's a need to appreciate and care about the trails we have. TBers work hard to get us access and to create great experiences. Bugaboo, you said "I couldn't ride it in good conscience" - KUDOS TO YOU and all the posters above for caring and sharing the respect for the gnomes and the dirt we ride on!  Cool

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

NC Kingsting
Small Cog

Veni Vidi Vici

Reply #10 - 06/06/18 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Well said Dotson. I couldn’t agree more. Thanks to everyone who keeps the trails riding so well.

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #11 - 06/06/18 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
As a coordinator at Sherman I appreciate the folks who take it upon themselves to stop a ride when they feel the conditions aren't up to par.  Makes for less work down the road.  Spread the word to others in that case to avoid the trail until it's in better shape.  I live just a couple of miles from Sherman and we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 inches of rain last week according to my rain gauge.  I got 1-1/2" Thursday last week in about 25 minutes.  Haven't seen rain like that in a while.  It's difficult for any trail to handle that kind of water flow and the situation at Sherman is not so much a product of drains being clogged as it is just shear amount of rain that has fallen.  We will be doing drain work over the next week or so to help for the next rains.

David

IP Logged

bdotson
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 06/06/18 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks David! You guys are awesome and we dont take ya for granted. And that goes for Watcher (Steve) and Fisher/Allison dude too!

2020 Kona Mahuna Singlespeed (Yes, I am a dinosaur. Affirmative)

IP Logged

journey
Coaster Bike

ILV2MTB

Reply #13 - 06/06/18 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Hi. Thanks for all the work on Sherman. 

How do think the Trail will be this evening (Weds)? I could ride closer to home, but was interested in riding Sherman if I will not be doing more harm than good.

Thanks

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #14 - 06/06/18 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I haven't been able to go out there since Sunday so can't say for sure, but there are likely a few spots that are still damp.  If it stays warm tomorrow everything should be dried up by then.

David

IP Logged

DeVinci
Coaster Bike

Old as time and still
riding

Reply #15 - 06/06/18 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
just rode it shes in pefect condition parking lot was completely full at 630 however

Life is like riding a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
A. Einstein 1879-1955

IP Logged

Bagadonuts
Coaster Bike

Reply #16 - 06/07/18 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Hero dirt.  I don't know if I've ever seen Sherman this nice.  Go ride!

IP Logged

Bagadonuts
Coaster Bike

Reply #17 - 06/07/18 at 12:24am
Print Post  
I rode earlier today.  Hero Dirt.  I don't think I've ever seen it so nice.  Go ride!

IP Logged

Joe F
Coaster Bike

Reply #18 - 06/07/18 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Temps in the 70's under Carolina Blue Skies this morning.  I managed to sneak in an extended early lunch hour ride.  Just beautimous out there.  Unfortunately not having set butt on a bike seat in over two weeks, I went about 10mins longer than usual.  Yeesh! 

Big shout out to Trail Boss David 'DK' and all the THTBs who give up riding time to keep these trails nice for the rest of us slackers.  Your hard work shows out there and thank you!   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print