Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) entry level 1x drivetrains (Read 1705 times)
Impaler 58
Big Ring

entry level 1x drivetrains
06/01/18 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I never really paid attention to 1x until I got a bike with the drive train. Now most entry level bikes are sold to beginners(or people who don't have the big bucks). So my bike has 28tx 11-42. Now I can understand 10t cogs being on an advance level bike. But shouldn't 50t be more on a beginner level. It would seem most advance hardcores can make do with a 42t cog. While a 50t would really suit a beginner cyclist. Just sayin'

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
GTalk  
IP Logged

TStroupe
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: entry level 1x drivetrains
Reply #1 - 06/01/18 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
But the 10-50 eagle cassettes aren't cheap. Hard to put a $200 cassette on a $1000 bike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #2 - 06/01/18 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
TStroupe wrote on 06/01/18 at 4:51pm:
But the 10-50 eagle cassettes aren't cheap. Hard to put a $200 cassette on a $1000 bike.

well of course you would have to make a cheaper cassette. So just saying that there are cheaper cassettes, it would still make more sense

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #3 - 06/02/18 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Doesn't make sense at all.

Why carry the extra weight if you don't need it?

Cheap cassettes weigh a ton. And giant cogs just aren't very useful around here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 06/03/18 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
IntheBush wrote on 06/02/18 at 2:19am:
Doesn't make sense at all.

Why carry the extra weight if you don't need it?

Cheap cassettes weigh a ton. And giant cogs just aren't very useful around here.

Most of you guys say around here, But when the weekend comes around . I like to travel North or west of Statesville, instead of south to Charlotte. So I experience more climbing, I'm not saying I'm a beginner, but climbing has gotten a bit harder with age. And all you youngens just think that because these bike companies set a price. That's what it's worth. If you can imagine that thing are not entirely out of everybody's price range. I would think it would make more sense to offer lower gearing on entry level Roll Eyes

GTalk  
IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #5 - 06/03/18 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
The newest tech is expensive and takes time to trickle down to lower price points. Those new cars with the lane centering and auto emergency braking sure are safe and better for beginner drivers, but I don't know many 16 year olds that can afford one of those. 

Easier pedaling and affordable >>> 2x drivechain

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/04/18 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I guess it is what it is. What about those wolftooth 49t?

GTalk  
IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #7 - 06/04/18 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
IMO the 11 speed E.thirteen 9-44t cassette is the way to go. More range than Eagle, modular replacements, cheaper, and doesn't look like a dang NASA satellite dish.

IP Logged

rokka23md
Coaster Bike

Reply #8 - 06/08/18 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I would think the entry level gearing would have more to do with he 28t up front. 

A 28t by 44t is is pretty low. Not sure why you would need much lower.

IP Logged

Joe F
Coaster Bike

Reply #9 - 06/10/18 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
If you're on a budget, I recommend the Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 11sp Cassette.  I got mine for about 50 bucks on sale.  After two seasons, wear is minimal, shifting is still smooth and with a 30T up front, that 46 in the back really gives some climbing torque for this old timer.   I also like the fact that it has a better cog to cog ratio in my opinion as opposed to that big jump to the large cog on Shimano's version. It may be a fraction heavier than a high dollar one, but I figure I can just cut down on the fries to make up the difference. 
« Last Edit: 06/10/18 at 1:45pm by Joe F »  

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 06/13/18 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
rokka23md wrote on 06/08/18 at 9:16pm:
I would think the entry level gearing would have more to do with he 28t up front. 

A 28t by 44t is is pretty low. Not sure why you would need much lower.
I have 28t x 42 with 27.5x2.8 tires. My last bike had 32/22 x 11/36, with 29x2.2 tires. The 22x36 is smaller then 28x42. But I have been told that the size of the tires also make a big difference

GTalk  
IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #11 - 06/14/18 at 2:20am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 06/13/18 at 4:34pm:

I have 28t x 42 with 27.5x2.8 tires. My last bike had 32/22 x 11/36, with 29x2.2 tires. The 22x36 is smaller then 28x42. But I have been told that the size of the tires also make a big difference

Douglas, it may benefit others reading this thread if you can reference the trails you have been on with your set up detailed above this year.

IP Logged

chickenwyre
Coaster Bike

Reply #12 - 06/14/18 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Well, here ya go...

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #13 - 06/14/18 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
chickenwyre wrote on 06/14/18 at 2:28pm:
Well, here ya go...

This looks interesting.  I am not much of a weight weenie and tend to favor longevity per $$ to be more important.

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #14 - 06/20/18 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
ChosenOne wrote on 06/14/18 at 9:35pm:

This looks interesting.  I am not much of a weight weenie and tend to favor longevity per $$ to be more important.
I'll let my current NX wear out. But it's cool to see some lower gears in 1x at entry level pricing.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #15 - 06/20/18 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 06/14/18 at 2:20am:

Douglas, it may benefit others reading this thread if you can reference the trails you have been on with your set up detailed above this year.

Right now I don't ride much of anything but the state park and Big Leaves Slopes. But in the past I've done more riding in the mountains and and north , such as Kerr Scott. In fact ,the last time I rode in Charlotte was 7 years ago when I decided to try Sherman Branch. All I was curious about was companies making lower gears for advance riders. A lot of riders won't even admit to using lower gears. I knew folks who struggled on climbs because they refused to use the granny ring.  But I'm happy with what I got, and if I can't pedal up, then I'm happy with walking

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print