Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Forum migration) (Read 2381 times)
49er 29er

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Discuss Upgrading the TT website (Forum migration)
06/09/18 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Hi - Dan S. here.  I attended the June meeting at WWC.  There was some discussion about upgrading the website.  Obviously maintaining/preserving the existing forum is desired.

If you scroll to the bottom of a forum page you find the little message 'Powered by YaBB 2.4'  YaBB is the public domain (free) software that 'is' the forum.  It stands for 'Yet another Bulletin Board'.  YaBB has a forum with a section dedicated to 'How to migrate from old versions to the latest version (which is 2.6.11).  The link is:   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I expect the steps to be something like this:  1) using the admin login, make a backup (or 2 or 3),  2) there should be a way to download the backup to your local laptop.  3) when the club settles on a new website... make sure that website includes the option to have a YaBB forum, 4) as admin (of the new site) upload the backup of the old forum, 5) run the 'convert' tool they talk about on the link I provide above, 6) some other stuff, etc.

The nice thing is this... you should be able to have the old and new forums running at the same time, that gives you opportunities for trail and error, testing, etc. until you get it right.  BTW, I believe such a backup will contain all of the forum content as well as all the usernames and passwords.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print