Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) **Sherman Branch temporary closure** (Read 1470 times)
DK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

**Sherman Branch temporary closure**
06/12/18 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Heads up, Sherman Branch will be temporarily closed beginning next Monday, June 18th through possibly Thursday June 21st.  The county is going to pour concrete on the entrance and begin preparations to install an electronic gate which will open and close at set times.  I'm not sure if the gate is actually going to be installed at this time but at least prep work will be done for it.  This closure is dependent upon the weather cooperating with the concrete work.  There will be no access to the parking lot during this time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Re: **Sherman Branch temporary closure**
Reply #1 - 06/13/18 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I predict that the amount of people getting locked in the parking lot is about to go up once the automatic gate is in installed.   Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

DAH

Reply #2 - 06/13/18 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
It looks like they are doing the same thing at Beatty. I guess they will be cutting back on Rangers.

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 06/13/18 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Yellowduck wrote on 06/13/18 at 12:09pm:
I predict that the amount of people getting locked in the parking lot is about to go up once the automatic gate is in installed.   Smiley

The gate is supposed to have an electronic eye that will allow it to open if someone pulls up to it from inside the lot.  However, I would still not recommend testing that.  I was told one of the main reasons for installing the gate is to eliminate the need for someone from P&R driving all the way out to Sherman to lock the gate.

David

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #4 - 06/15/18 at 11:30am
Print Post  
DK wrote on 06/13/18 at 1:55pm:

The gate is supposed to have an electronic eye that will allow it to open if someone pulls up to it from inside the lot.  However, I would still not recommend testing that.  I was told one of the main reasons for installing the gate is to eliminate the need for someone from P&R driving all the way out to Sherman to lock the gate.

My understanding is the gate will also have a moisture sensor, hence closing the lot and the trails after a rain event.

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #5 - 06/15/18 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Robert C. wrote on 06/15/18 at 11:30am:

My understanding is the gate will also have a moisture sensor, hence closing the lot and the trails after a rain event. 

Not sure about that, but the email I got from P&R stated that they would be in contact with us on how to override the gate for when it needs to be closed due to weather.

David

IP Logged

Vasco
Global Moderator
In The Loop
Project Board

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/15/18 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
They would be doing the park users a favor by moving the entrances to the other end of the lot where it's flat and better visibility for exiting.
Doug S.

Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control it's the way I wired.

IP Logged

Doc00t
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

When in DOUBT, PEDAL it
OUT

Reply #7 - 06/15/18 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Vasco wrote on 06/15/18 at 12:46pm:
They would be doing the park users a favor by moving the entrances to the other end of the lot where it's flat and better visibility for exiting.
Doug S.

Trying to move an entrance is a logistical nightmare. One of the main reasons Dixie river has been stalled for a "few years" now. I would just keep your heads down and let the county do what they are going to do and be thankful its only a few days.

Scars are like Tattoos only with better Stories

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #8 - 06/15/18 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Doc00t wrote on 06/15/18 at 1:57pm:

Trying to move an entrance is a logistical nightmare. One of the main reasons Dixie river has been stalled for a "few years" now. I would just keep your heads down and let the county do what they are going to do and be thankful its only a few days.

Agreed. But how about just removing the gate? Seems like a more affordable option.

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #9 - 06/16/18 at 10:34am
Print Post  
DK wrote on 06/15/18 at 11:38am:

Not sure about that, but the email I got from P&R stated that they would be in contact with us on how to override the gate for when it needs to be closed due to weather. 

It also will have a cellular interface capable of updating the trail status on this site.  Pretty snappy.

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #10 - 06/17/18 at 12:52am
Print Post  
abruzzopat wrote on 06/15/18 at 11:16pm:

Agreed. But how about just removing the gate? Seems like a more affordable option.

Then we would have even more people riding the trail when it’s closed than we already do.  Some people feel their need to ride outweighs the need to help keep the trail in good shape.  We even had some asshat knock the gate on Camp Stewart road off it’s hinges so they could get to the trail when it was closed last week.

David

IP Logged

abruzzopat
Little Ring

Irritating animated GIF...
I'll remove it soon.

Reply #11 - 06/17/18 at 1:25am
Print Post  
DK wrote on 06/17/18 at 12:52am:

Then we would have even more people riding the trail when it’s closed than we already do.  Some people feel their need to ride outweighs the need to help keep the trail in good shape.  We even had some asshat knock the gate on Camp Stewart road off it’s hinges so they could get to the trail when it was closed last week.

If the gate keeps people from riding when the trails are vulnerable, cool. At BYT, people ignore the chain across the trail entrance. Maybe Sherm's like a park n ride... no parking, no riding.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print