Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Pick your poison (Read 915 times)
btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Pick your poison
06/27/18 at 2:18am
Print Post  
Whats your preference and why?  This could be several threads but this should be fun as one. 

Squishy Bits:
  • Fox
  • RockShox
  • Cane Creek
  • Ohlins 
  • MRP
  • Other
  • No Squish

Stoppers:
  • Shimano
  • SRAM
  • Hope
  • Magnura
  • Hayes
  • TRP
  • Formula
  • Other
  • Fixie
  • Brakes don't get KOM's

Shifty Bits:
  • Shimano
  • SRAM
  • Box
  • No shifty bits for me

Droppers:
  • Fox
  • RockShox
  • KS
  • Thomson (For KevinB)
  • What ever my bike came with
  • Other
  • Whats a dropper?

Pedals:
  • Flats
  • SPD
  • Egg Beaters
  • Time
  • Other
  • Toe clips are my jam

Hoop Size:
  • 26"
  • 27.5"
  • 29"
  • Combination of any two
« Last Edit: 06/27/18 at 2:58am by btalley »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Re: Pick your poison
Reply #1 - 06/27/18 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Lets get this started off right:

Squish Bits: Fox 36 Float w/ MRP Ramp Control is perfection for me.  Also the stanchions are gold, what more could ya want? Makes my bike Braaaaap more cause Fox...

Stoppers: Hope all day because they have many different colors and the rotorz look cool...In all seriousness, they simply work all the time with tons of power and last forever.  I have a habit of stopping at the worst time making my riding buds behind me struggle to stay on the bike and these brakes seem to make that possible better than the rest.  They also don't get stuck if left outside or have to be pumped up if left upside down, i think it's because they run on morning tea

Shifty Bits: Shimano seems to be what I prefer. I like a lot about some of the SRAM stuff but I have really been happy with my XT 1x11 drive train which has taken a beating with me at the pedals. Also, Shimano makes fishing stuff and I also like to troll...

Droppers: I'm a big fan of my Fox Transfer Dropper and would highly recommend it.  Especially if you are looking to match those shinny gold squishy bits.  This thing just works all of the time.  It's not ball busting fast like the Spec post or prone to not working like the reberberator but it's purdy and goes down more often than a fat kid eating cake.

Pedals: Flats or SPD depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.  I switch to SPD's when I care about my Strava times at WWC but mostly run cheese graters for the added fun factor and I really enjoy my legs getting sliced open on a regular occurrence.    

Hoops: 27.5 for now because 26 is actually kinda sorta almost but not completely dead... Angry  Also its not a twoNineIncher and we all know how bad 29er's suck  
Smiley  
« Last Edit: 06/27/18 at 2:54am by btalley »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #2 - 06/27/18 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Squish Bits: Cane Creek everything... Works great, highly tune-able, hand-assembled by mountain bikers in NC, best climbing platform ever (if you need it)

Stoppers: XT... Cheap, easy to service, work great, no fuss no muss.

Shifty Bits: Shimano everything. Personal preference... SRAM works great too.

Droppers: KS... easy to service, cable actuated, lever kinda sucks but whatever.

Pedals: SPD Clipless with a platform but with nice shoes that you can walk all day in. Good for hike-a-bike in the mtns.

Hoops: 29" on the HT and 275 on the FS. Both work great for different purposes. 26" is actually dead... I went to the funeral Cry

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #3 - 06/27/18 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I only have strong opinions on one of the above topics.
Pedals: TIME. Learned clipless on SPDs but didn't like the in and out.  Tried Eggs when they came out and blew one up on a mountain ride.  Swore then to never own any Crank Bros sheet again. Went TIME and never looked back.  Few people ride them anymore but oh well.

Hoops:  I used to be a 29er for life but now I'm a 27.5+er.  26 was dead to me 13 years ago but now I'm looking to build up a pump track/dad BMX bike with 26's. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Avlrider
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #4 - 06/27/18 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Suspension...Fox on both ends,...just what I known for past 5 years. Maybe there ithers just as good tho

Brakes.... Shimano SLX or XT.   

Shifters....Shimano again,...Have used scram alot,...Shimano just seems a little more smooth

Droppers....took mine off my current bike,...never seemes to use it, really no opinion on these

Pedals.....Chester flats with Five Ten,....almost like a clip in

Wheels......Curremtly on 29in,...had a 26 before, definitely wont go back to 26in,..they may be good for pump tracks and BMX.  As far as 27.5,....tried a few,...not totally sold yet.

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #5 - 06/27/18 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
- have been partial to Fox.. although I love the SRAM on the wife's smuggler
- I prefer Hope brakes over all others
- prefer SRAM drive-train 
- never ridden with a dropper post
- still riding 26 I will convert to 27.5/650b when I replace my stock

I love the Smuggler but just don't like the 29er wheels

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #6 - 06/28/18 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
Squishy Bits:

Whatever's of good quality and is on sale. Currently have two Rocks and one Fox.

Quote:
Stoppers:

Shimano or Hope. Mostly Shimano because of the price and availability.

Quote:
Shifty Bits:

XT. Why bother with anything else.
Prefer Sram cassettes for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Droppers:

No thank you. Dead weight and something else to go wrong. 
Doesn't suit my riding style. But definitely useful in a few situations.

Quote:
Pedals:

SPD. 

Quote:
Hoop Size:

All three bikes are 29ers. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print