Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) PSA: Eye Protection (Read 1472 times)
Joe F
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

PSA: Eye Protection
07/04/18 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I saw a guy take a shot to the eye this morning from something thrown up by the rear wheel of his riding partner in front of him. It wasn't catastrophic, but I think he may have to at least get some pain/antibiotic drops for a corneal abrasion.  I've experienced one of those before from a volley ball slam to the face years ago and they really suck.  

I just wanted to point this out to the many riders I often see with no eye protection.

Safety glasses are cheap, starting at around 10-12 bucks, can be quite stylish, and if you are an old guy like me can even be had with small reader lenses at the bottom so that you can still read your bike computer, your HR monitor and your tire gauge!  I never hit the trail without em.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 07/04/18 at 6:10pm by Joe F »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Re: PSA: Eye Protection
Reply #1 - 07/04/18 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I just started riding w/ my glasses in the past 3 or so months.  I have been hit w/ bugs, gravel, mud and WTFelse  ever over the years.   

Agree w/ OP!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #2 - 07/04/18 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
I'm needing replacement lenses for my Rudy project mostly because the 'script is old and one of the coatings on the clear lenses has delaminated. They are long out of warranty. On Rudy Project site the lenses are $441. My frames are good. This is for the lenses only. Any one have a better idea?

2011 (frame) Santa Cruz Superlight & Stumpy Comp (1999), 2017 Tallboy C RX2
22Levo

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 07/05/18 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 07/04/18 at 11:52pm:
I'm needing replacement lenses for my Rudy project mostly because the 'script is old and one of the coatings on the clear lenses has delaminated. They are long out of warranty. On Rudy Project site the lenses are $441. My frames are good. This is for the lenses only. Any one have a better idea?

Can your eye doctor's office make them?  Mine has told me they can make lenses for most anything but I haven't had that done yet.  My vision is good from beyond three feet so I haven't dealt with prescription riding glasses yet.  But I ALWAYS wear my Oakleys when riding.

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 07/05/18 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 07/04/18 at 11:52pm:

try (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Scott77

Reply #5 - 07/07/18 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I got a corneal abrasion from a very innocent brushing of a leaf at RRT last year.  Hurt like hell until I got a temporary eye band aide.  I where cheap safety glasses from Lowes now.  I tend to misplace them frequently so I avoid the expensive ones.  Main problem is fogging up when its this hot/humid.

IP Logged

Ridefour15
Little Ring

Reply #6 - 07/07/18 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I never ride without some sort of glasses.  I've been hit by a number of bugs on the road bike so hard that they knocked my glasses crooked, and by surprise branches that whack me in the face on the trails.  I'll even wear clear lenses at night.

I find lightly tinted lenses work best in the woods, or clear lenses on a very cloudy day.  Normal sunglasses make it too hard for me to see obstacles/roots/rocks in the shadows even on really sunny days.

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #7 - 07/07/18 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Wound up at the Opthamologist office for my annual exam. Got a new Rx. Went next door to the Optometrist office and the manager there is a fellow cyclist, albeit a "roadie". He knew what I was looking for. My frames are the Rudy Rydon model and are in good shape. Seems Rudy now has a polycarbonate flexible lens that is photochromic and progressive bi-focal. He took a little off the price for me and I went for it. With tax about $550. 
No more changing lenses from dark to clear depending on the light conditions. Won't have to worry about my regular  glasses getting bent or broken.

22Levo

IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #8 - 07/08/18 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 07/07/18 at 3:44pm:
Wound up at the Opthamologist office for my annual exam. Got a new Rx. Went next door to the Optometrist office and the manager there is a fellow cyclist, albeit a "roadie". He knew what I was looking for. My frames are the Rudy Rydon model and are in good shape. Seems Rudy now has a polycarbonate flexible lens that is photochromic and progressive bi-focal. He took a little off the price for me and I went for it. With tax about $550. 
No more changing lenses from dark to clear depending on the light conditions. Won't have to worry about my regular  glasses getting bent or broken.

Errr Make that  $450. Embarrassed

22Levo

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #9 - 07/09/18 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Hey Tom, who is your Ophthalmologist and what optometrist office did you visit?

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 07/09/18 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I always where eye protection on the MTB and Road.  I've been to the eye doctor twice this year to get metal (not from bicycling) out of my eye.  One trip they had to use a dremal type tool to get the rust out.  Not pleasant.  I prefer not to go back.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Tom F
In The Loop

I'm ready. Get the bike.

Reply #11 - 07/09/18 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
santana wrote on 07/09/18 at 1:34am:
Hey Tom, who is your Ophthalmologist and what optometrist office did you visit?

ciao
Santana

Cabarrus Eye Center 704.782.1207 Dr Burchfield. 
Joel is in the lens department.

Have been a patient there since 2006. They manage my glaucoma issue.

22Levo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print