Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) switch to 30t chainring or go Eagle 50t cassette? (Read 1502 times)
tntsweeper
Coaster Bike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

switch to 30t chainring or go Eagle 50t cassette?
07/11/18 at 1:17am
Print Post  
currently riding 27.5 with 32t chainring and 11-42 gx cassette.  It works fine around CLT but I can just barely make some of the steeper climbs in Dupont/Pisgah.   

Would switching to a 30t chainring (perhaps oval?) be a noticeable difference or should I just save the money and switch to eagle with a 50t?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DK
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: switch to 30t chainring or go Eagle 50t cassette?
Reply #1 - 07/11/18 at 1:31am
Print Post  
I would certainly try it as it will make a difference and is the least expensive option.  As far as the oval, I used one for about a year and while I did think there was a minor difference in the power during the entire revolution, it wore out my chains faster.  When I switched back to the round ring I didn't notice the change much so I've stuck with it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

David

2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #2 - 07/11/18 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I've been running a 30 with a 11-42 and was able to clear everything I needed in mtns.  There were a couple of times on steep long single track climbs I thought about walking, but my buddies were at the same point I was and we slogged on over the climb. FWIW we were on 29's so I guess that would be like having a 32 when compared to 27.5

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

SurlyDave
Small Cog

Reply #3 - 07/11/18 at 2:10am
Print Post  
2 teeth up front make a big difference.  I'm on a 30t with 11/42 with 27.5 just fine but wouldn't want the 32T.  The cool thing about the Eagle stuff is the total range high to low but it seems your are only looking to gain the low end so try the 30T ring.  I can't say the 30T is ever too slow for me but I'm not racing.

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 07/11/18 at 2:38am
Print Post  
You might try a 28 if you can find it for your crank.

I've got a 28 Raceface on the front of my Camber (10x42), and occasionally I need every bit of it on my 57 year old legs and could use a little more on the steeper stuff and in the mountains.

Never have a problem with speed on the low end.

Got a 30 - 11x42 on my hard tail (all XT drivetrain). It's a couple o' pounds lighter (24lbs.) and seems similar.
« Last Edit: 07/11/18 at 2:39am by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

tntsweeper
Coaster Bike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/11/18 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m going to give the 30t a try.  I think that’s the smallest I can go with my 104 bcd.

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #6 - 07/11/18 at 11:56am
Print Post  
I have a Raceface 30t that I will never use again. Will check it’s wear when I get home this evening. Think I used it for a month. $15

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Slothzilla
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 07/11/18 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
34t with a 10x42 cassette all day long.

Tough it out with the 32t!  If you are barely making it up the climbs it sounds like a challenge...and it should be!  Check out the differences your chainring makes using a gear calc...pretty small really

IP Logged

santana
Little Ring

Ich bin für Sie zu schnell

Reply #8 - 07/11/18 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
If you are happy with Sram then you would not be unhappy going to the Eagle system. I am using it and it works well everywhere. I use a 34t on the 12 speed cassette. You may find that running a 30t feels harder on the high end of the gear than a 32 or 34 does. I will still sell you my 30t though. 

ciao
Santana

Do you suffur from nympholespy as I?

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #9 - 07/11/18 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
you could do a cassette extender or a Sunrace 11/46. Probably don't need it, but it's nice to know it's there if you get in trouble on the steeps

GTalk  
IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Reply #10 - 07/11/18 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 07/11/18 at 4:03pm:
you could do a cassette extender or a Sunrace 11/46. Probably don't need it, but it's nice to know it's there if you get in trouble on the steeps

Sunrace? Grin

I think I figured out where you're going wrong.

Yeah budget bikes are sorta cool. But there's no economy in using an extended range cassette on a 1x that weighs twice as much. In that case you're better off running an extra ring up front.

Unless it's also a cross bike, I never understood the logic of having extra gears on the low end that are never used.
« Last Edit: 07/12/18 at 3:10am by IntheBush »  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

tntsweeper
Coaster Bike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/12/18 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Santana, Thanks for the offer but I already have a 30t oval on the way.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #12 - 07/30/18 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Leg press + stair mill + SS'ing will extend your range without buying new equipment.

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print