Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Which bike should I buy? (Read 3643 times)
SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Re: Which bike should I buy?
Reply #20 - 07/18/18 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
On the USNWC calendar, there's a bike demo tomorrow, 2-6pm (odd hours for a Thursday). Specialized and Santa Cruz.

Apparently it's a monthly occurrence.
« Last Edit: 07/18/18 at 12:37pm by SirNotAppearing »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #21 - 07/18/18 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 07/18/18 at 12:23am:
Only if you can keep from having flat tires on your red bike, right Billy!

I have determined KevinB is the problem!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #22 - 07/19/18 at 2:59am
Print Post  
I hated the weather being so bad while you and Kevin were here. Please come back again soon!

IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #23 - 07/19/18 at 9:20am
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 07/17/18 at 8:09pm:

Awesome intel, thanks so much!!  I'll look into Cyclofest.  I assume all info will be online somewhere.

Thinking a 29" wheel would be better for me.  No clue about fat tires. 

It seems like a event taking place at the WWC is being relaced with one called Marketplace. With Bike Demo's on Saturday of the event. There are other outdoor sports demo's there also. The 2019 Trek Roscoe's Have the new Eagle NX drivetrain with a 12 speed 11x50 and a 30 tooth chainring. At a little less then $1500, it's a great Bargin. Or you can do the Stach, a couple good choises with 29'+ wheels. I also noticed that the fuel has a 650+ option. And all the remedy's have 650+  Im sure that all the bike brands have simular options. But the ones mentioned whould be what I would look for ,fpr climbing

GTalk  
IP Logged

Impaler 58
Big Ring

Reply #24 - 07/19/18 at 9:26am
Print Post  
I would definatly go with a 1x with an extender Gear Range simular to Sramm Eagle. All except Eagle NX have 12 speed 10x50. I hear Shimano XTR is fairly sweet with a 10x52. For the climbing

GTalk  
IP Logged

ChosenOne
Little Ring

Reply #25 - 07/19/18 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Tom F wrote on 07/18/18 at 12:59am:
It has been announced on the Cyclofest Web page for this fall at the WWC. 
I'm surprised you did not know that Chosen.

Nothing for 2018.  The dates on (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
are for 2017.   

I get the feeling that the relationship w/ WWC was strained in the last year event.  Hopefully they will bring it back to the Charlotte area...  I doubt it but we can hope.  Probably the closest we'll come would be something in Asheville.

IP Logged

MTB4U
Coaster Bike

AKA: MTBSurfer

Reply #26 - 07/20/18 at 2:54am
Print Post  
Impaler 58 wrote on 07/19/18 at 9:20am:

It seems like a event taking place at the WWC is being relaced with one called Marketplace. With Bike Demo's on Saturday of the event. There are other outdoor sports demo's there also. The 2019 Trek Roscoe's Have the new Eagle NX drivetrain with a 12 speed 11x50 and a 30 tooth chainring. At a little less then $1500, it's a great Bargin. Or you can do the Stach, a couple good choises with 29'+ wheels. I also noticed that the fuel has a 650+ option. And all the remedy's have 650+  Im sure that all the bike brands have simular options. But the ones mentioned whould be what I would look for ,fpr climbing

Impaler 58 wrote on 07/19/18 at 9:26am:
I would definatly go with a 1x with an extender Gear Range simular to Sramm Eagle. All except Eagle NX have 12 speed 10x50. I hear Shimano XTR is fairly sweet with a 10x52. For the climbing

Good info, thank you very much.

IP Logged

Harry Balsagna
Small Cog

Keep on rocking in the
free world.

Reply #27 - 07/31/18 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Pivot Mach 429 Trail is the best bike ive ever ridden.  As close to that as possible and much more approachable in price points is the Trek Top Fuel.  I can't recommend it enough.  for your budget can pick up the 8 new.  could get a 9.8 used.   

I'm in no condition to ride...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #28 - 07/31/18 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
I've never ridden one, but if you want to talk about bang for your buck...

Apparently they will be available soon in the US. A work friend who is looking to get on a full squish asked me what I thought about this. After looking it over I can't seem to find a better value (on paper at least). Even the YT Jeffsy can't compete when it comes to specs vs. sticker price.

$2400 
FS Aluminum 150/140 trail bike with modern GEO (66.1º HT, 74.1º ST)
Proven Horst link type design.
GX Eagle 12 speed drivetrain
RS Pike fork
SRAM Guide R brakes (to some this is a negative, I prefer them)
Wide DT Swiss Wheels
Dropper Post included
6 year warranty*

There are, of course, downsides to mail order bikes...
-No opportunity to try before you buy.
-Some assembly required.
-No local bike shop support for first tune-up.
-*Online warranty claims can be like pulling teeth.
-No warm and fuzzy feeling that you get from supporting a local small business. 

But if you're sure of the geometry and suspension design, good with a wrench, and feeling a little lucky in that you will never need to test the warranty, it is a good option.

IP Logged

DSO
Coaster Bike

Reply #29 - 07/31/18 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
MTB4U wrote on 07/17/18 at 6:36pm:

I'm used to my old Tracer which is full suspension and 27 speed.  I am definitely not a high end rider, so I don't need a bike that would be considered ideal.  Don't want to pay for carbon, and probably don't have the skill to appreciate the difference in a highly upgraded bike.  So a middle of the road, FS, alloy bike should be fine.  Was looking at a Specialized Stump Jumpper alloy, and that seemed pretty good.

2 years ago I was in the $3k range for a new bike. My XC HT was not cutting it. 

My criteria was $3k, FS, 27.5, SRAM, and a Dropper post. I bought the FSR Stumpjumper. It's been an excellent bike. A bit of overkill in the Charlotte area, but it kicks ass in Pisgah and mountains of VA, GA.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print