Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic XT Brake Woes (Read 658 times)
DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

XT Brake Woes
08/03/18 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I am on my 2nd set of XT rear brakes due to fluid loss at the caliper resulting in extremely loud rotor squeal & loss of power.  I have read there was/is an issue with the banjo nut where the line connects to the caliper & also the internal piston seal going bad.  Has anyone here had any issues with their XT brakes?  I bought brand new lever, line, caliper, pads & rotor...it worked perfectly for about 3 months.  I noticed after a recent trip to Bent Creek that the power-loss & squealing returned in full force.  Argh...   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Re: XT Brake Woes
Reply #1 - 08/03/18 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Are you seeing mineral oil leaking out from the fitting at the caliper? Or is it just a performance thing with the brakes making noise and losing power?

I find I have to stay on top of bleeding my XTs or they start to suck after a while. I do it about every 2 months or so...

If you see fluid leaking out I would contact Shimano about a possible warranty if the caliper is only a few months old and is leaking from the piston seal.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Reply #2 - 08/03/18 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
BUY HOPE

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

DavidM
Little Ring

Work & Ride with THTB!

Reply #3 - 08/04/18 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Yes, the caliper is dusty-n-greasy at the connection.  I can pedal the bike w/the rear brake lever pulled to the bar...es no bueno.  I hate to drop more $$ on new brakes but I'll do what needs to be done to make it right.  I'll check on the warranty.
Hope does make some nice stuff...

Ephesians 5:11 Have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print