Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 140mm 29er dream bike? (Read 6160 times)
btalley
Big Ring

aka "Lil Bill" or "Squatch"

Re: 140mm 29er dream bike?
Reply #20 - 08/15/18 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Enoch wrote on 08/15/18 at 9:14pm:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

OMG. Look at all that matchy matchy going on. and then there is ur avatar in a red Santa Suit...

I dont want to ever hear any thing about roadies and their kits. Seems the mtb are just as bad.

In my defense that photo was from when I crashed my black and red bike...shirt was on sale

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Everyone needs at least one boat! 

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #21 - 08/15/18 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
That looks like a yard sale getting ready to happen

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #22 - 08/17/18 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
StevenA wrote on 08/15/18 at 9:20pm:
2019 Stumpjumper Pro 29/6Fattie (or S-works because you're worth the extra $$)
  • Now uses standard shock instead of custom
  • Did I dream the Stumpjumper switched to a threaded BB?  If it still has that PF30 then I know this bike shop on NC115 near the Davidson/Cornelius line that can put in a threaded BB.
  • Did I dream part II the new frame can support up to 29 x 3.0 tires?  You can have 27.5+ and 29+ wheelsets because riding a tank down a trail is so much fun. 

The only bad part about recommending this bike is now I want one.

Not knocking the new stumpjumper because it does look pretty good, and I did like my stumpy fsr when I had it, but.....

I refuse to give a company props for taking this long to fix issues that customers have been requesting for a while such as, not using custom shocks and switching away from press fit bb's...

Its more like thank god you finally caught up with the industry...no pat on the back deserved

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

StevenA
Coaster Bike

Reply #23 - 08/17/18 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
OoHoO wrote on 08/17/18 at 7:41pm:

Not knocking the new stumpjumper because it does look pretty good, and I did like my stumpy fsr when I had it, but.....

I refuse to give a company props for taking this long to fix issues that customers have been requesting for a while such as, not using custom shocks and switching away from press fit bb's...

Its more like thank god you finally caught up with the industry...no pat on the back deserved

Ironically I was thinking about you when I wrote that since you were the one to make me aware.  The Hightower LT is 2nd in my book but more travel than OP wanted.

Also I may have been dreaming part III but I think the Command Post IRcc has been increased to 150mm max travel on the large and x-large frames.  As much as I use the dropper I cannot believe I forgot this.
« Last Edit: 08/17/18 at 11:02pm by StevenA »  

I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

IP Logged

Yellowduck
Big Ring

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #24 - 08/18/18 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
OoHoO wrote on 08/17/18 at 7:41pm:

To each is own.  My Pivot Les and Specialized Epic both have press in bottom brackets and I have never had any problems with either.  I also like the custom shock and fork on my epic.

"Riding skinny is too easy"
-MB
IP Logged

Avlrider
Coaster Bike

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #25 - 08/21/18 at 1:52am
Print Post  
The new Giant Trance 29ner is 130/ 130......I demoed one yesterday....its a fun bike.  Feels bottomless and handled great.

IP Logged

Saltnpepper11
Coaster Bike

Jason.

Reply #26 - 08/21/18 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Get a Smuggler... The stumpy was ok but this thing is a blast to ride !

Jason H
Fabricator in the world of NASCAR

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/21/18 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I would love to demo a Smuggler that does sound like a dialed in bike.  140mm 29er right?  I had to throw a 30t on my 160mm bike so I'm good now, but I would have liked to ride that bike before pulling the trigger.

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #28 - 08/21/18 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
SJ FSR 29er, Transition Smuggler, Rocky Mountain Instinct.  All good 140mm travel bikes and all in stock....

Let that sink in. Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Saltnpepper11
Coaster Bike

Jason.

Reply #29 - 08/23/18 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
I would love to demo a Smuggler that does sound like a dialed in bike.  140mm 29er right?  I had to throw a 30t on my 160mm bike so I'm good now, but I would have liked to ride that bike before pulling the trigger.

Yes The Smuggler is a 140/120 travel bike.. I have yet to feel like I run out of suspension on the back of this bike and around Charlotte I've yet to push it past its limit. I feel like it pedals like my Trans Am 29er but I don't feel like I had the crap beat out of me after riding!

Jason H

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

Reply #30 - 08/23/18 at 12:53am
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 08/21/18 at 9:33pm:
SJ FSR 29er, Transition Smuggler, Rocky Mountain Instinct.  All good 140mm travel bikes and all in stock....

Let that sink in. Wink

Are any of them red?

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 08/23/18 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Saltnpepper11 wrote on 08/23/18 at 12:28am:

Yes The Smuggler is a 140/120 travel bike.. I have yet to feel like I run out of suspension on the back of this bike and around Charlotte I've yet to push it past its limit. I feel like it pedals like my Trans Am 29er but I don't feel like I had the crap beat out of me after riding!

Cool.  The next bike I buy may be a Smuggler, Process 134 29er (when available), or something very similar.  My bike is a "big" bike for around here but I would not say it's a struggle to ride either.  Just more than I need BUT I do have a lot of trips to the mtns and one out west lined up this fall so I may change my tune pretty quickly.   

IP Logged

Saltnpepper11
Coaster Bike

Jason.

Reply #32 - 08/23/18 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Cool.  The next bike I buy may be a Smuggler, Process 134 29er (when available), or something very similar.  My bike is a "big" bike for around here but I would not say it's a struggle to ride either.  Just more than I need BUT I do have a lot of trips to the mtns and one out west lined up this fall so I may change my tune pretty quickly.  

Seen a few people some fairly skilled and agressive riders ride Transition scouts and process 134s up in Wilson's and pisga with no issue. I'm not afarid to take the smuggler up there, and will as soon as I have a free weekend!

Jason H

IP Logged

JasonK
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 08/23/18 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Currently.  I need to get this thing to Wilsons where it belongs! 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Kona_Process_153.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Mike 5
Small Cog

Reply #34 - 08/25/18 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 Smuggler, and while it's not red, ya gotta love "Outlaw Orange!"

"Bad decisions make for great stories."

IP Logged

btalley
Big Ring

Reply #35 - 08/25/18 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Mike 5 wrote on 08/25/18 at 3:23am:
Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 Smuggler, and while it's not red, ya gotta love "Outlaw Orange!"

Congrats! Nice bike! Orange is a shade of red but red is faster

Talley's Pier 77 Marine
IP Logged

Saltnpepper11
Coaster Bike

Jason.

Reply #36 - 08/26/18 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
btalley wrote on 08/25/18 at 9:29pm:

Congrats! Nice bike! Orange is a shade of red but red is faster

10% Faster!

Jason H

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #37 - 09/03/18 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Rode the Foxy R 29.  Heavy pedaling up gravel, but no pedal bob.  Like a monster truck going down technical trail.  Cleaned stuff I don’t consider trying on my Jet.  Front end is a bit too light.  Went down twice on mellow trail and hitting an off camber root.  Just a bit too much bike and the light front end turned me off.  Still open to suggestions.

IP Logged

Mr.B
Coaster Bike

Reply #38 - 09/10/18 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
And the winner is a Yeti SB5.5 Turq, fat boy tested, Pisgah approved.

IP Logged

Banjopickin
Big Ring

Spinnin' knees & Hittin'
trees since '85

Reply #39 - 09/10/18 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Mr.B wrote on 09/10/18 at 8:16pm:
And the winner is a Yeti SB5.5 Turq, fat boy tested, Pisgah approved.

And then this happened....

Are you really going to ride the SB5.5 with this bike out there? Really?... you're really going to do that...?

I cant believe it... C'mon man!

Advocat wrote on 08/22/13 at 5:16pm:
...packin some Chub in the back of the pick-up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Print