Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Derailler frustrations (Read 993 times)
MrFixit74

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Derailler frustrations
08/22/18 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, im new here. I have a strange issue with my rear derailler (2018 Shimano SLX). It constantly skips the 3rd sprocket when im upshifting. I can adjust it to shift like butter all the way up but then downshifting is all chunky and skips very bad. I can adjust it the other way and downshift perfectly, but upshifting is terrible. I can dial it in perfectly except for this problem with the 3rd sprocket. Ive cleaned and lubed my drivetrain and replaced my cable 2x with no change. Im sure there is a super simple fix for this but i am not seeing it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Re: Derailler frustrations
Reply #1 - 08/22/18 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Have you checked the derailleur hanger?  A bent hanger can cause a whole host of shifting issues that cannot be corrected with adjustments.  Any shop should be able to do it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Putt Nasty
Little Ring

Reply #2 - 08/22/18 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Sounds like B-tension may be off. 
Closer to cassette (dialed out)= more chain wrap & better shifting.

Life is uncertain.  Don't sip.

IP Logged

MrFixit74

Reply #3 - 08/22/18 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I checked the hanger and it looks fine, when i bail i always go off the left so it hasnt taken any hits. And i also gave the B screw a couple of turns and still have the same issue. All other gears shift perfectly

IP Logged

Saltnpepper11
Coaster Bike

Jason.

Reply #4 - 08/23/18 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Take it to a shop and have them check the hanger with one of their gauges. Something small could have bent it or it could be a damaged cassette ring I have had a brand new Shimano SLX cassette come with a bad Cog on it. As I've also seen hangers come bent out of the box or not necessarily been just not aligned properly for the bike!

Jason H
Fabricator in the world of NASCAR

IP Logged

traildog
Big Ring

warning!  SS carrier

Reply #5 - 08/23/18 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
MrFixit74 wrote on 08/22/18 at 10:52pm:
I checked the hanger and it looks fine, when i bail i always go off the left so it hasnt taken any hits. And i also gave the B screw a couple of turns and still have the same issue. All other gears shift perfectly

Can't check a derailleur hanger by looking at it. Gotta have the tool to align it with the rear wheel.

IP Logged

OoHoO
Little Ring

Gnar...Gnar...Gnar..

Reply #6 - 08/23/18 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
traildog wrote on 08/23/18 at 2:39pm:

Can't check a derailleur hanger by looking at it. Gotta have the tool to align it with the rear wheel.

Yep, gotta ride with the others on this one, hanger slightly bent...the park tool hanger tool was one of the best investments I've made over my years of fixing wrecked bikes...easily get your money back on it...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC 29 - Ridin' It
2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 - Gone
2012 Cannondale Trail 6 - Gone

IP Logged

BudLeach
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 08/23/18 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
traildog wrote on 08/23/18 at 2:39pm:

+1

IP Logged

MrFixit74

Reply #8 - 08/23/18 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Yeah, i was just hoping i was missing something simple. I'll be headed to my LBS tomorrow. Thanks guys

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print