Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic My fork... it's broken... (Read 987 times)
flynbryan19
Small Cog

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

My fork... it's broken...
08/27/18 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Well, it's actually my son's fork.  He has an old early 00's 24" hotrock with a cheap Rockshox spring fork.  This weekend the lower fork legs completely separated from the upper tubes/crown.  I have not had the opportunity yet to get it on the bench and inspect it, but anyone have an idea of what would cause this?  The nuts in the bottom of the fork legs that normally hold the fork cartridges in a higher end fork are still there...  I'm thinking the shaft(s) inside the fork snapped off at the threads?
« Last Edit: 08/27/18 at 12:50pm by flynbryan19 »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

Brad6160
Coaster Bike

Re: My fork... it's broken...
Reply #1 - 08/27/18 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
If I'm not mistaken there is only the nut that holds the upper and lower together. Maybe the rod inside broke.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

12' Trek X-Cal

IP Logged

flynbryan19
Small Cog

Reply #2 - 08/28/18 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Brad, I think so too.  Still haven't had the chance to put it on the bench.  Hoping to do so tonight....

After some further research it is actually a RST Capa spring fork.

Bryan Sutherland

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #3 - 09/02/18 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Your best bet is to find a replacement for it.  A short travel 80mm 26" fork would probably work. If you could find an older Fox F80 with v-brake post mounts, that would be ideal.  The RST forks on those are pretty much a "one and done" type of deal.

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

Shredder
Big Ring

Reply #4 - 09/03/18 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
The Cycle Path wrote on 09/02/18 at 9:56pm:
Your best bet is to find a replacement for it.  A short travel 80mm 26" fork would probably work. If you could find an older Fox F80 with v-brake post mounts, that would be ideal.  The RST forks on those are pretty much a "one and done" type of deal.

The brake posts on a 26 inch fork would be too high to hit a 24 inch wheel, no?

IP Logged

The Cycle Path
IB Room
In The Loop
Project Board

Treasurer '11 to '18.
Trail Chair '12-'18,
'20-'21

Reply #5 - 09/04/18 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Shredder wrote on 09/03/18 at 9:42pm:

The brake posts on a 26 inch fork would be too high to hit a 24 inch wheel, no?

Yes. You are right. My mistake.  If it's disc then there's no problem.  I had vacation brain when I wrote that. Wink

We carry the finest from Specialized, Yeti, Transition, and Kona.
IP Logged

tntsweeper
Coaster Bike

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/10/18 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
quality replacement like a spinner grind air are almost as much as the bike itself.   if it were me I'd see what they have at recyclery or find a rigid replacement on the web.  Kids out grow a 24 so fast. I chose to skip 24 and go straight to a super small 26 (Vpace mzx 26) and now have tons of options.  good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print