Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) So Im getting a new hip... (Read 2139 times)
808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

So Im getting a new hip...
09/16/18 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I've seen a post or two by guys who have had THR operations, and I was wondering what the recovery is like. I'm a kinda skinny 50 year old who is very active.  I've heard a bunch of different things and I'm a little freaked. Hoping for some inspirational stories or something.  You know, "I was only off the bike for a few weeks" kind of stuff. Heh heh.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

IntheBush
Big Ring

Re: So Im getting a new hip...
Reply #1 - 09/16/18 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Contact SCOTT_T.

I see him on the trail regularly, but haven't seen him around here in a while. Maybe he'll respond to a PM. I've heard he lurks occasionally so maybe he'll see this thread.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He's an authority on the subject.
« Last Edit: 09/16/18 at 11:10am by IntheBush »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (Attachment deleted)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kds57

Work Ride Tarheel Trailblazers

Reply #2 - 09/16/18 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I had my right hip replaced early last November, was able to start back on the mountain bike in late January. I just turned 61 in June, as far as pain, the surgery didn't come close to the top 10 of things I have had done. Just listen to your doctor about taking it slow during your recovery, you shouldn't have any problems. Riding has not caused any pain at all since the surgery (before, I could barely get on the bike, much less ride any distance).

IP Logged

Enoch
Forum Administrator
IB Room
Project Board
In The Loop

Walked with God and he
was not

Reply #3 - 09/16/18 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
From what I've been told, the new surgery Technics are WAY less invasive. My friend had a hip replaced and was walking less then 5 days later
« Last Edit: 09/16/18 at 8:11pm by Enoch »  

Do what you like. Stop hating people for their riding habits and get back to hating them for their skin color, religion, politics, and sexual orientation.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #4 - 09/17/18 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Scott did it and he rides faster and better than me
« Last Edit: 09/17/18 at 1:01am by DG »  

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #5 - 09/17/18 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Gooood stuff my friends...stay thirsty!

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #6 - 09/17/18 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Good luck with your knee surgery! Recover quickly and get back on the bike. Don't rush it though, you wouldn't want a set back.

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #7 - 09/17/18 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
BigBikeMike wrote on 09/17/18 at 1:23pm:
Good luck with your knee surgery! Recover quickly and get back on the bike. Don't rush it though, you wouldn't want a set back.

He said hip!!! Cheesy Grin now you want that he get rid of his knee!

IP Logged

DG
Small Cog

Reply #8 - 09/17/18 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
808golden wrote on 09/16/18 at 1:19am:
I've seen a post or two by guys who have had THR operations, and I was wondering what the recovery is like. I'm a kinda skinny 50 year old who is very active.  I've heard a bunch of different things and I'm a little freaked. Hoping for some inspirational stories or something.  You know, "I was only off the bike for a few weeks" kind of stuff. Heh heh.

Be sure the doc you go to perform an anterior (front) operation. This is the new way, better than all others easy to recuperate. If they do not do this it means he is not up to date.

IP Logged

redstorm

old, but slow!

Reply #9 - 09/17/18 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Hey 808, you'll be OK. I had a THR, right side, almost exactly a year ago. I'm 65. I tell people I'm around 95% now, still have weird soreness in muscles and tendons if I do too much.
But, I can pretty much ride as much as I want. Surgery was in late Sept, I got back on the road bike in Dec. Did not ride trails until April, but that delay was largely due to either my working or traveling, or the weather being bad. Over the summer I've been riding probably 90% road, but again mostly due to time constraints.
Here are my takeaways: 1) don't be afraid to rest the first couple of weeks (even if you read that someone else was walking at 5 days). Everyone heals at his own rate. 2) Do your PT exercises!! 3) See #2. 4) Ride when you're ready, but in the first 90 days there is a risk of fracture of the bone around the femur implant in a fall so be careful at first.
You'll be glad you had the procedure done. Best of luck!

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #10 - 09/17/18 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Right on guys! Yep I’m going in from the front and won’t rush things. May have to see a hypnotist so that I can get into road riding but whatever it takes. Cycling is my thing, so thanks for the good vibes! Cheesy

IP Logged

Robert C.
Big Ring

Leaves are the ultimate
trail maintenance tool

Reply #11 - 09/18/18 at 1:03am
Print Post  
I have been out with SCOTT T on both a road and a mountain bike post surgery.  Dang sumbitch can still bring it.

Recovery is less driven by medicine vs. the strong desire to keep doing what you love.

Good luck.  Look forward to seeing you on the dirt in late fall.

IP Logged

BigBikeMike
Project Board

Reply #12 - 09/18/18 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Sorry for the confusion! I didn't get much sleep yesterday and here I am again, can't sleep. Anyway, good luck with your surgery and recovery!

IP Logged

Orbeaguy

Reply #13 - 09/18/18 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Hey guys.   Some of my docs are doing outpatient hips.    Additionally, almost all docs will have you up and walking the first day post op.   If you need / want additional info , feel free to shoot me a message

Cheers

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #14 - 12/18/18 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Sooooooo I scored that new hip and let me tell you!  I’m almost 9 weeks out and just rode up at the SP and things feel fine!  Aside from being massively out of shape! The doctors these days are amazing. I’m looking forward to suffering my way back into shape. At least it will be my lungs and legs, not the hip!! Grin Grin

IP Logged

SirNotAppearing
IB Room
In The Loop

Reply #15 - 12/19/18 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Congrats! Do that PT!

IP Logged

redstorm

old, but slow!

Reply #16 - 12/19/18 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Good going!! Take it easy, and don't be a hero. And stay on your PT.
Glad to hear you're back on the bike at 9 weeks.

IP Logged

dogrunner
Small Cog

Reply #17 - 12/24/18 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Hats off ! To you my friend ..

Do the PT !!

God speed ..

IP Logged

808golden
Little Ring

More beer, please!

Reply #18 - 12/24/18 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Yep, PT, PT, PT! And spinnnnnnnn.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print